Postgame Falcons

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #46
rocnrik
Playmaker

Re: Postgame Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
That is the difference in being a GREAT defense and a solid one, ours is not great because they lack consistency. All week we heard about the Falcons beat up OLINE and bad defense and we couldn't do shit on either. Jay just seems like he's out coached way too much, the fact that some are asking for Colt Mccoy is also absurd, what the hell has he ever done to warrant a starting job halfway through the season? He beat Dallas 1 time on MNF, big deal. Alex is what he is but he has NO help at WR, dont tell me about Doc, he is garbage. Crowder is hurt, Mo harris is nothing more than a ST player that is lucky to see the field due to injuries and lack of talent. Reed is not elite anymore and VD is basically old and done. The fact is we dont have the heat to keep up with the good teams and our defense is not as good as we thought.
I was gonna post but this says it all for me!! I agree 100%
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #47
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Can someone explain this to me: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/GrudJa0.htm

Why has the Jay Gruden passing offense become so fucking aweful? As OC for Bengals, throw away the first 2 years while he became acclimated...the ranking of passing offense is really good: OC: 8th, 11, HC: 11, 2, 12,

Right now its a career worse: 24th in the league. Tell me what is wrong...He's never had great talent...probably avg talent at QB, WR, TE, and RB. Oline Protection has been decent overall this year.

What has happened to the Jay Gruden passing offense?

I think if you say well "we are running the ball better"...that's a red herring. The passing offense should only get better from a better running attack.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #48
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I'm just glad AS finally had a 300 yard passing game to pad his stats.
IDK if you really should be that glad. AS had to throw 46 times yesterday playing catch-up. Don't know how much of a stats guy you are, but I looked it up.

In the 3 losses this season, Smith averaged 43 attempts for 291 yards per game. In the 5 wins, he averaged only 29 attempts and 199 ypg.

On the other hand, in the 5 wins, Peterson averaged 22 rushes for 112 ypg. In the 3 losses, AD averaged 8 carries for 14 yards.

Seems to me that if you keep AS under 33 attempts, and get AD 20 touches, you have a pretty good formula.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #49
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Colt is a average QB at best that cant move around as well as Alex so it would not be any better. Its not a BS excuse, our wrs suck, they dont get open and they drop balls. Matt Ryan has a loaded group to throw too, Alex last year was lights out because he had a damn good wr group. WR's matter in a pass first league
I think the people who were excited to get Smith here never watched a recent Chief game and just looked at box scores. KC also has a tight end that averages 5 yards after first contact. Their wide receivers are also good at avoiding tacklers. The receivers they have right now would make any QB look good.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #50
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
That is the difference in being a GREAT defense and a solid one, ours is not great because they lack consistency. All week we heard about the Falcons beat up OLINE and bad defense and we couldn't do shit on either. Jay just seems like he's out coached way too much, the fact that some are asking for Colt Mccoy is also absurd, what the hell has he ever done to warrant a starting job halfway through the season? He beat Dallas 1 time on MNF, big deal. Alex is what he is but he has NO help at WR, dont tell me about Doc, he is garbage. Crowder is hurt, Mo harris is nothing more than a ST player that is lucky to see the field due to injuries and lack of talent. Reed is not elite anymore and VD is basically old and done. The fact is we dont have the heat to keep up with the good teams and our defense is not as good as we thought.
Damn, that is depressing, but I can't argue with any of it.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #51
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
IDK if you really should be that glad. AS had to throw 46 times yesterday playing catch-up. Don't know how much of a stats guy you are, but I looked it up.

In the 3 losses this season, Smith averaged 43 attempts for 291 yards per game. In the 5 wins, he averaged only 29 attempts and 199 ypg.

On the other hand, in the 5 wins, Peterson averaged 22 rushes for 112 ypg. In the 3 losses, AD averaged 8 carries for 14 yards.

Seems to me that if you keep AS under 33 attempts, and get AD 20 touches, you have a pretty good formula.
It was sarcasm.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #52
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
It was sarcasm.
Its funny a Dallas fan couldn't pick up on it...they have that Dak passing bench mark stat hyperbole going on with their fanbase right now.

Alex wasn't terrible yesterday...but he wasn't great either. Just basic.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #53
Schneed10
A Dude

I'm really concerned about the health of the line. Scherff, I'm guessing, is a torn pectoral and done for the year. Lauvao is likely a knee or torn calf, done for year. And Moses is going to be hobbled.

It's hard being optimistic going forward when the strength of our offense was just ripped out from under us. It's really hard to see Peterson having any room to run with Scherff and Trent sidelined.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #54
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Damn, that is depressing, but I can't argue with any of it.
It is man, every time I get on this koolaid it turns sour. I will just sit and wait and see from now on. I think 10 wins would be a great season for this roster. I don't think we get 10 but we will see
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post

Formula only works if you can open holes. Not liking our chances of doing that for the next few weeks at least.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #56
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm really concerned about the health of the line. Scherff, I'm guessing, is a torn pectoral and done for the year. Lauvao is likely a knee or torn calf, done for year. And Moses is going to be hobbled.

It's hard being optimistic going forward when the strength of our offense was just ripped out from under us. It's really hard to see Peterson having any room to run with Scherff and Trent sidelined.
If this is the case we might as well throw in the towel, he has been our best lineman all yr, even above trent.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #57
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Can someone explain this to me: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/GrudJa0.htm

Why has the Jay Gruden passing offense become so fucking aweful? As OC for Bengals, throw away the first 2 years while he became acclimated...the ranking of passing offense is really good: OC: 8th, 11, HC: 11, 2, 12,

Right now its a career worse: 24th in the league. Tell me what is wrong...He's never had great talent...probably avg talent at QB, WR, TE, and RB. Oline Protection has been decent overall this year.

What has happened to the Jay Gruden passing offense?

I think if you say well "we are running the ball better"...that's a red herring. The passing offense should only get better from a better running attack.
It HAS to be on Smith...right? Cousins had no better WRs last year and still moved the ball down the field much better than this. I can't imagine Gruden redesigned all his passing plays...so it's Smith. Either he just isn't comfortable enough in the offense to run it efficiently, or he simply doesn't trust the WRs and TEs to throw on time. How often is he throwing a receiver open? Whoever he throws to, is usually just waiting on the ball. It's rare for any of WRs to catch a ball in stride where they can get any yards after a catch.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #58
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Its funny a Dallas fan couldn't pick up on it...they have that Dak passing bench mark stat hyperbole going on with their fanbase right now.

Alex wasn't terrible yesterday...but he wasn't great either. Just basic.
Exactly. We are better off when he is not slinging it all over. I will take AS at 190 yds 1 td and 1 int over 300 yds 1 td 1 int any sunday.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #59
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
It HAS to be on Smith...right? Cousins had no better WRs last year and still moved the ball down the field much better than this. I can't imagine Gruden redesigned all his passing plays...so it's Smith. Either he just isn't comfortable enough in the offense to run it efficiently, or he simply doesn't trust the WRs and TEs to throw on time. How often is he throwing a receiver open? Whoever he throws to, is usually just waiting on the ball. It's rare for any of WRs to catch a ball in stride where they can get any yards after a catch.
It just doesn't look right...Alex has to shoulder some blame (tape and QBR says so), but the scheme just seems so limited. Poor decisions at Receiving personnel (Doctson is a bust, Richardson has brought very little, etc)....Matt Cavanaugh is our O Coordinator...we rarely mention his name...seems likely he will be made a scapegoat.

Its a mess folks.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #60
MTK
\m/

Postgame Falcons

Smith is a QB that needs a running game and he needs more weapons. He’s never been a guy that can beat you dropping back 40 times a game. We had that guy and didn’t want to pay him so here we are.