Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?
Yes 27 40.91%
No 39 59.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?

Alright poll time, we've been hounding on this topic since the story broke, what's your final answer, will Coles be back with the Skins next year?

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
GoSkins!
The Starter

Re: Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?

I'm saying yes. I don't think a release is going to workout before March 1 (unless the Jets or someone else move quickly). If I were the Skins I would offer to restructure his deal to make later years voidable based on incentives. I'm sure he would play hard anyway, but that would assure it.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Yes. I cannot envision us trading him due to the cap ramifications. Even if he restructured his contract, I think the NFL management council might not approve the trade. I cannot envision us releasing him due to the cap ramifications and because we don't have an adequate replacement for him. Even if Coles were to waive the $5 million bonus payment (which I doubt he'd do and his agent has said as much), who would we get to fill in for him? We might not be able to get a great WR in the draft since Edwards, Williams or both will be gone by the 9th pick (especially now that the Vikes have traded Moss for the 7th pick).
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Coles would play hard for pride, to ensure he got a good deal the following year, and to ensure that he'll be wanted by the team(s) that he wants to go to.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I went with yes simply because I can't see us finding a deal that works for both parties.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
KLHJ2
Inactive

As much fun I am having relieving some stress while stressing myself out contemplating the offseason whith you guys, I have just come to a realization. Earlier last season I recall one of our coaches saying something like- if all of our players don't believe that they can be potential starters, then we signed the wrong 53 people. I also had a conversation with my 1SG this morning (who also likes the redskins), and he said "I trust coach Gibbs to keep the people that he want's to keep there and he will weed the rest out." So if Gibb's want's to keep Coles there he will, and if he doesn't then he will let him go.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

I voted no. This whole thing is so f-ed up right now, and I'm sure the FO is ready forget about it by getting rid of it.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #8
Shane
Special Teams

I voted no. There is no crystal ball, but I think that he will be successfully traded back to the NY Jets, plus a draft choice or a player like Chad Morton, who we don't need anymore but who could actually finally have a chance to play at running back some if Jordan leaves them. In return we will get John Abraham.

Coles will elect to get surgery, though he may wait until after the '05 season.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:02 AM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Nope. He doesn't want to be here.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #10
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

Yes, they can't afford to let him go for the cap hit (he's not going to give any money back). What will be interesting is to see if he reports to training camp.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
offiss

I beleive the Jet's are going to get involved for Coles before it's all said and done, my prediction is that they will convince Coles to do what he has to do to accomadate a trade back to the Jet's, if the Jet's don't get involved then I believe he will be back.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
I went with yes simply because I can't see us finding a deal that works for both parties.
Simply well put!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

I voted no, but I won't be surprised if he's back at this point simply because if they are going to move him, it needs to happen very quickly.

That's not to say Snyder and co. aren't working the phones like crazy right now trying to get something done.

Wouldn't it be great to be a fly on the wall at Redskins Park right now? Talk about a great reality show!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #14
celts32
Playmaker

No. I can't see Gibbs keeping a player on this team that said he doesn't want to be here. The only way he is still on the team is if he changes his mind about returning the 5 million in exchange for his release. he has already said he won't give the 5 back in a trade, but as far as I know he will still give it back for his release. Not getting the 5 million in cap relief would force Gibbs to keep him, but otherwise he's gone.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I voted no because him sticking around after all of this has been aired out, would have a terrible affect in the lockerroom. I'm sure some players knew he felt this way but now everyone does and with him being someone who was thought as a team leader, that type of negativity just can't be here. One bad game and maybe his attitude gets rubbed off onto another player or 2 and keeps spreading. We need to just cut the problem off at this early stage and if he wants out of here as badly as it seems, find a team he wants to go to not named the cowpies or iggles, get him to rework his contract, and get him the hell out of here. He has to realize the team has all the power in this situation and with the cap hit we'll take for getting rid of him and what was given up to get him, he should realize the team more than likely won't let him go if they can't get anything in return.

I'll agree it's "nice" of Coles to have kept this quiet until now, but I know I for one lost all respect for the guy trying to whine and bitch his way out of town after ONE bad season in which everyone around the league knew it'd be a learning year for Coach Gibbs and his offensive schemes.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote