Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

One man's view of Santonio Holmes and the Skins

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

One man's view of Santonio Holmes and the Skins

You can write this off as one man's opinion - - or even as some guy who just loves to bash Danny Boy Snyder although I have no evidence that he does that routinely.

However, his logic says that the Skins would be better served worrying about signing other potential free agents.

I happen to agree that while WR is hardly an area of great strength on this team, there are far more important segments of the team that need improving before worrying about WR.

Worth reading - - and of course reacting to...

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: Santonio to 'Skins? Just say no, Dan Snyder

Advertisements
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: One man's view of Santonio Holmes and the Skins

I think Holmes is an excellent WR...but I don't believe WR should be a priority of ours, and I'm reluctant to bring in a guy one bad move away from a lengthy suspension.

Shouldn't be our first priority in my opinion
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Good thing Snyder isn't calling the shots.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't want him for plenty of reasons:

We don't have our long term quarterback in place.

We already have a dependable #1 in Santana Moss, who performed fine last year amidst qb disruption, and who has already said he wants to come back.

We definitely have other areas of need that should be a higher priority, like offensive/defensive line.

We need to let our guys at wr like Hank, Paul, Kelly, etc. step up and have the opportunity to prove themselves.

And getting a big play #1 wideout should be a priority once we have our qb of the future in place. Let Moss stay here for another couple seasons, and then look at upgrading.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Will Hill and Santonio could bring an Amsterdam vibe to the locker room.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think Holmes is an excellent WR...but I don't believe WR should be a priority of ours, and I'm reluctant to bring in a guy one bad move away from a lengthy suspension.

Shouldn't be our first priority in my opinion
Agreed. One bad move away from a lengthy suspension, and he's going to cost a lot. I personally don't think he's an excellent WR. Above average for sure though. I clipped this from an article on ESPN Insider about the 10 riskiest FA's:

7. WR Santonio Holmes

Santonio Holmes

#10 WR
New York Jets

2010 STATS
  • Rec52
  • Yds746
  • TD6
  • Avg14.3
  • Long52
  • YAC229

Many focus on Holmes' off-field issues (detailed here), but his vertical receiving inconsistency could be just as much of a concern.
He is thought to be an elite downfield threat, but his 10.3 vertical YPA and 11.3 stretch vertical YPA ranked 46th and 50th, respectively, last season. This isn't the first time his ranking here has been subpar, as his 9.2 vertical YPA in 2008 ranked 56th in the league.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

He's certainly a skilled WR who knows how to produce despite having his either a subpar QB or a QB who was sacked a lot.

But he's a better fit on a team more immune to his troubles than we are. We have too many impressionable young guys to consider Holmes.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
musicmaster45
Special Teams

Yea no lets go rice, moss, or a very low teir wide reciever that may surprise (AA type)
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I don't want Holmes, look at his numbers and it'll show u that he's just avg. He's a little better than moss but not much
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Here we go. Is there any real evidence that we are targeting all of the Jets WR? I truly believe that if we resign Moss and build on what is in the building we are good to go this year at WR.

Like others have said, work on these lines in FA don't worry about the flashy guy. We need grit and grime not splash and dash.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Here we go. Is there any real evidence that we are targeting all of the Jets WR? I truly believe that if we resign Moss and build on what is in the building we are good to go this year at WR.

Like others have said, work on these lines in FA don't worry about the flashy guy. We need grit and grime not splash and dash.
Well, there's no concrete evidence a la Allen or Shanahan saying so, but multiple sources have reported that he's at or near the top of our wish list.

I know Santana is older than Holmes, but he's also been here a long time, would come much cheaper, and is arguably just flat our better than Santonio.

I'd much rather give Santana a 3 year deal than give Holmes a 5 or 6 year deal at a significantly higher premium.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I have heard all of the reports, but at the same time this new regime is pretty tight on the information that comes out. Last year we were connected to alot of the top guys to only find out later that we were never even at the bargaining table.

Also why are all of the article pertaining to the Redskins still going with the Ol' Dan Snyder line? Snyder needs to stay away from player X... Have so many in the media really not checked their stories before sending them to print? There are new cats in charge here.... rant over...
Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well, there's no concrete evidence a la Allen or Shanahan saying so, but multiple sources have reported that he's at or near the top of our wish list.

I know Santana is older than Holmes, but he's also been here a long time, would come much cheaper, and is arguably just flat our better than Santonio.

I'd much rather give Santana a 3 year deal than give Holmes a 5 or 6 year deal at a significantly higher premium.
Age 33 is the wall that very few WRs ever climb. Ochocinco is about to be cut by the Bengals, and he's 33. A 3 year contract is nuttery. Not to mention that Holmes has usually been more efficient than Moss even with a poor QB or poor OL.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClintonPortis View Post
Age 33 is the wall that very few WRs ever climb. Ochocinco is about to be cut by the Bengals, and he's 33. A 3 year contract is nuttery. Not to mention that Holmes has usually been more efficient than Moss even with a poor QB or poor OL.
Santana turned 32 a month ago. I'm not saying we give him some huge 3 year deal, but a reasonable 3 year contract with some backloaded money is most likely what Santana will get on the open market. Just my speculation.

Signing a guy in Moss who just turned 32 a month ago who's coming off an 1100+ yard 93 catch season (in a bad offense with no consistent QB play) to a 3 year deal certainly isn't "nuttery." The numbers just have to be right. He's no long-term answer, but it's more reasonable than inking a significantly larger deal for a WR in Holmes who really won't be any better than Moss with our QB situation over the next 2 or so seasons and will bring significant character issues to boot.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The one thing Holmes has going for him is that he's clutch. But is he consistent? That's an entirely different story. And I don't think it's a good idea to sign a guy to a big money contract when he's one strike away from being suspended big time.