Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #151
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Your need to determine whether a rookie qb is a bust in the span of a year is wrong IMO. We knew he wasn't pro-ready when we got him, projects take more than a year to develop.

If it were up to me I'd spend the rest of this year prepping him to start for the next coach in 2020. He's not going to be ready in a week, and I wouldn't even put him in a game until he shows that he can run the offense with a base set of plays in practice. If that doesn't happen this year so be it. But we have to give him at least 2 years before we give up on him. This team already has enough holes without adding qb to the list.

I am not looking for the kid to be a finished project by years end though. I think 8 games is ample time to see “improvement”. Because if he plays like he has - over the course of the next 8 weeks- without signs of improvement than you can develop him until the cows come home and it won’t matter.
Again, not looking for perfection and there is absolutely no pressure on him at this point to win. Just go show us what you are capable of. If we see “enough” of it we run with him. If we see zero of it we have to consider drafting another guy like the Arizona Cardinals.
I am not giving Haskins three years to blossom into a “decent “ starter while I watch McCoy or Keenum or any other has been/never was flounder around.

Advertisements
Old 10-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #152
httr198020
Special Teams

I'm going to say what I know most of us already know. We made a big mistake by drafting Haskins. He is nowhere close to being able to run an NFL offense. In this up and coming draft we are going to be in position to draft a young qb who can. I understand that we need to be sure about Haskins. Therefore, we should put him out there to see can we mold him into something. But I think I've seen enough of this guy to know that he can't play in this league.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #153
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
No way. He isn’t/wasn’t starting because they don’t think he is ready and he obviously isn’t. But what should they do? They need to use the rest of the season to see if quarterback is a need in the off season. If he plays 8 more games and shows no improvement than we have to seriously consider drafting quarterback.
You can really only do that if he gives the team as good a chance to win as Case, and right now he doesn't if Case is healthy. The coaching staff has the responsibility to play the best players. You can say that you don't care about the wins, but I assure you, the players and coaches do. They aren't thinking about next year's draft. I think they ultimately believe Haskins will be fine, but remember, there was never any intent for him to start this year. No sense in deviating from that plan until he gives the team a better chance to win. Maybe that time comes sometime this year...maybe not.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #154
Meks
Pro Bowl

I didn't like the pick at 15 I thought we could have used a different piece of the puzzle but we've got who we got. Time to see if he's gonna be the guy or not. It's senseless to start keenum or colt, flat out senseless.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 10-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #155
rocnrik
Playmaker

A lot of pre draft guys were comparing Minshaw of Jax to Case keenum .. both played in air raid type of offense.. Minshaw looks good to me for a rookie! I know that minshaw had a lot of experience in the college ranks .. Why do we always seem to screw up our top picks ? And is Bruce Allen really calling the draft picks ...
Old 10-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #156
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

I am guessing Bruce has more input on the first 1st and 2nd round, maybe the 3rd round. After that, it is probably the draft team.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #157
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Why? As someone pushing 60 who competed in quite a diverse range of sports and took lessons in others just for leisure as a youth I cannot name one where fundamentals weren't pounded into everyone's head from the get go. Now we see NFL quarterbacks with bad footwork and defenders using poor tackling techniques that would have earned an ass chewing from a Pop Warner coach.

I am just going to assume these days if you are strong, fast, and or talented enough to be an impact player in spite of poor fundamentals and mental mistakes coaches don't bother forcing you to improve.
Your quote is 100% spot on. Pure athletic ability and Raw talent can sometimes overcome poor basics / mechanics. Coaches know that and you like you say, if their ability is just so supreme, they don't spend a lot of time trying to correct anything, if it is "working"
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #158
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
You can really only do that if he gives the team as good a chance to win as Case, and right now he doesn't if Case is healthy. The coaching staff has the responsibility to play the best players. You can say that you don't care about the wins, but I assure you, the players and coaches do. They aren't thinking about next year's draft. I think they ultimately believe Haskins will be fine, but remember, there was never any intent for him to start this year. No sense in deviating from that plan until he gives the team a better chance to win. Maybe that time comes sometime this year...maybe not.

Case doesn’t give us a chance to win. He gives us a chance to lose by less. That is why we are 1-7. I understand that winning is a good thing, but there comes a point that you need to play for the future of the franchise and not the current weeks absolutely meaningless game. We do not even have a HC, he got fired. Most of this staff will most likely be gone next year too. So not to seem heartless but who gives a fuck what Manusky thinks. I also do not think leaving Haskins on the sidelines to learn a scheme that will in all likelihood be extinct come the end of the season is helpful. What is helpful is giving him game experience which he so lacks. Sometimes you have to see the forest through the trees. The forest being the future, and the trees being the remaining games of 2019.
Best case scenario leaving Keenum in is we finish with 2 or 3 wins, and have no idea what Haskins has and go through another year without a quarterback. Best case scenario putting Haskins in is we find out what he is and address it before next year.

Last edited by punch it in; 10-28-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #159
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Case doesn’t give us a chance to win. He gives us a chance to lose by less. That is why we are 1-7. I understand that winning is a good thing, but there comes a point that you need to play for the future of the franchise and not the current weeks absolutely meaningless game. We do not even have a HC, he got fired. Most of this staff will most likely be gone next year too. So not to seem heartless but who gives a fuck what Manusky thinks. I also do not think leaving Haskins on the sidelines to learn a scheme that will in all likelihood be extinct come the end of the season is helpful. What is helpful is giving him game experience which he so lacks. Sometimes you have to see the forest through the trees. The forest being the future, and the trees being the remaining games of 2019.
Best case scenario leaving Keenum in is we finish with 2 or 3 wins, and have no idea what Haskins has and go through another year without a quarterback. Best case scenario putting Haskins in is we find out what he is and address it before next year.
That is important if you are betting the Redskins and taking the points, as ugly as that 200 yard per game, single digit scoring offense was, they covered the spread the last two games.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #160
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
That is important if you are betting the Redskins and taking the points, as ugly as that 200 yard per game, single digit scoring offense was, they covered the spread the last two games.

They will adjust the points for Haskins. It is a win win!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #161
skinsfan69
Living Legend

It's one thing to play bad and struggle some, it's another to not be able to run the offense. That is what the Redskins face if he's in there. IDK it's a tough decision but it may be made for them if Case can't go. If he has to start Sun I'd imagine that Colt may have to play as well..
Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #162
rocnrik
Playmaker

I’m with you .. it’s not the interceptions or the sacks .. heck the best do that ! After 6 months in playbook he still cant grasp the basic playbook enough for the coaches to feel good about it... I believe that Bruce and dan have100% told coaches that Haskins has to play hence colt is 3rd string .i know we suck but the team has not quit if Haskins plays rest of year and is bad and the team does say screw this then we will have a total melt down where guys will say its not Haskins the team has quit! I believe the situation will determine when Haskins plays .. you can’t name him starter if Case can go .. unless Bruce and dan are calling that ..
Old 10-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #163
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I’m with you .. it’s not the interceptions or the sacks .. heck the best do that ! After 6 months in playbook he still cant grasp the basic playbook enough for the coaches to feel good about it... I believe that Bruce and dan have100% told coaches that Haskins has to play hence colt is 3rd string .i know we suck but the team has not quit if Haskins plays rest of year and is bad and the team does say screw this then we will have a total melt down where guys will say its not Haskins the team has quit! I believe the situation will determine when Haskins plays .. you can’t name him starter if Case can go .. unless Bruce and dan are calling that ..

We are 1-7 with Case and Colt starting. Almost 0-8. It would be one thing if we were a 3 or 4 win team and even slightly in contention for the division. I just do not understand what everyones hope for Case is? Again he gives us no chance to win. We have seen it now for half a season. So lets see what Haskins has. The only way to gain experience WHICH IS WHAT HE LACKS is by playing.
Or have it your way, let Case lead us to a 2 win season...maybe, and we can continue this thread for another year.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #164
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
We are 1-7 with Case and Colt starting. Almost 0-8. It would be one thing if we were a 3 or 4 win team and even slightly in contention for the division. I just do not understand what everyones hope for Case is? Again he gives us no chance to win. We have seen it now for half a season. So lets see what Haskins has. The only way to gain experience WHICH IS WHAT HE LACKS is by playing.
Or have it your way, let Case lead us to a 2 win season...maybe, and we can continue this thread for another year.
Those two guys can call the plays. It was reported that when Haskins got in there he called the play the wrong way, Quinn went to the wrong area and then it resulted in a penalty. That's the stuff we're talking about here. Just the basic crap.

Even when we had both RG and Cousins as rookies we never heard anything about them not being able to call the plays the correct way. IDK, I want him in there as bad as everyone else but if he can't do the very basics then he simply can't play.

Also I have not heard one single player say he's ready. They all say the political correct thing. That's even more telling than what the coaches are saying. Players know..
Old 10-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #165
Burgold
Special Teams

Is it just me,or does the kid seem disinterested on the sideline,one of the reasons I said not to play him is he just doesn't seem to be paying attention..somebody needs to take Dwayne aside and have a long talk with him about just what it means to be an NFL quarterback because he may think that all he had to do was get drafted and the job was his,starting with him wanting No.7 which belongs to Joe which says that he had no sense of team history and he's spoiled,yes the kid has talent but he needs an attitude adjustment between now and training camp!
Closed Thread