Griffin Restructuring Nearly Done

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Griffin Restructuring Nearly Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Thanks GTripp. I'm kinda on the fence about this too, but if we don't have a cap in 2010 or thereafter then it really only affects us this year right? I mean The Danny can spend all he wants and it does'nt restrict us as far as what we spend or who we sign from 2010 on. Correct?
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy thanks to the uncertainty in the CBA. I will say this: if 2010 is uncapped, we can unload all of our dead weight salary that year with no penalty whatsoever in the long run. 2010 may or may not be uncapped, but Schneed and I both think that ultimately, it will be, since that's the path we're heading for right now. (i.e. there will be a mass purge in D.C. at this time next year if 2010 is uncapped. All the older vets will go).

The big deal comes after that. SOMETHING has to get done in the next two calendar years. Otherwise, there's no more NFL football. So they will come to some agreement that either extends the salary cap, or gets rid of it forever. The earlier it gets done, the more likely it is we will have a cap in the future. With each passing day, it becomes more and more likely that there will never be a cap again.

Every team has to prepare itself for both outcomes. So we have to do the Haynesworth deal with a cap in mind, even though it may never matter.

And no matter what, it's going to limit what we can and cannot do this year.

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I should point out: it will either be uncapped, or we will have a whole new set of rules in 2010 and likely a lot more cap freedom to work with anyway. No matter what, 2009 is the tough crunch year we've been talking about for a while. We'll have the room to extend Rogers and Campbell at this time next year, which we don't right now.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Haynesworth's contract would not take up 15 million of cap space in the first year.
Hey Schneed what's your guess here? I got 15 mill by making some assumptions from an article.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
53Fan
Franchise Player

Thanks. You are the man GTripp.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #20
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Hey Schneed what's your guess here? I got 15 mill by making some assumptions from an article.
Schneed is saying that the contract will be backloaded/ascending, as all football contracts tend to be thanks to the concept of a signing bonus/non-guaranteed contracts.

It's unlike most other sports where the money gets spread evenly throughout the deal.

So his cap number would be in the 4.5-5.0 million range for 2009 if the deal is 6/100. Then it would be around 8 or 8.5 in 2010.

After that, we're talking 15, 20, 25, and 18 (theres no SB proration in this part) in the final four years of the deal. Does that add up to 100? Who knows?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Haynesworth's contract would not take up 15 million of cap space in the first year.
Hey Schneed, in your overall cap analysis (and you might have done this already) did you factor in the LTBE amount?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #22
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Hey Schneed, in your overall cap analysis (and you might have done this already) did you factor in the LTBE amount?
I read major incentives in this contract from this question. Something along the lines of if he wins an defensive MVP or similar?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #23
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I read major incentives in this contract from this question. Something along the lines of if he wins an defensive MVP or similar?
No. Likely to Be Earned (LTBE) incentives. Has nothing to do with Haynesworth, has to do with the team as a whole. When certain incentives aren't reached by certain players then the amount gets pushed into the next season as a cap credit.

So, in short, we have around an extra $1.1 million dollars thanks to this.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
That Guy
Living Legend

6years/96mill (5 years proration) 30mill SB with the 30% rule = 11.2mill in his first year.

right now marcus got us under and his money will pay our rookies.

we can save 8.5 on taylor and 6 on springs (2.3mill on rabach/daniels). if we're restructuring griffin though (who could be cut to save 4mill) that makes signing hall a lot less likely.

the problem is, we can't resign rogers/campbell, the cut guys will save you 460k less than stated (due to a vet min player replacing their spot) and we have UFAs and other needs too (montgomery, golston, kendall, fabini - OL (x3), OLB/LB depth, DE, CB).

bottom line is if we were 3mill under after marcus was fired (and assuming that's all we need for the rookies), we have about 15.5 to play with, and AH will take up 11mill minimum at the current numbers... if they sign him to 6year/80mill with incentives, then it could cost more or less this year, depending on the incentive type and how the CBA end of cap rules are written.

but because of the 30% rule (Question 1.7a here) you can't just throw a massively backloaded deal at him and call it good - the league will just trash the paperwork if it doesn't comply. the bonus is 6 mill for the first 5 years on that 6yr/96mill and base salary in 5.2 year 1 and 19.8 year 6. (increasing by 30% of the previous year's total).

Last edited by That Guy; 02-24-2009 at 11:44 PM.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #25
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
6years/96mill (5 years proration) 30mill SB with the 30% rule = 11.2mill in his first year.

right now marcus got us under and his money will pay our rookies.

we can save 8.5 on taylor and 6 on springs (2.3mill on rabach/daniels). if we're restructuring griffin though (who could be cut to save 4mill) that makes signing hall a lot less likely.

the problem is, we can't resign rogers/campbell, the cut guys will save you 460k less than stated (due to a vet min player replacing their spot) and we have UFAs and other needs too (montgomery, golston, kendall, fabini - OL (x3), OLB/LB depth, DE, CB).

bottom line is if we were 3mill under after marcus was fired (and assuming that's all we need for the rookies), we have about 15.5 to play with, and AH will take up 11mill minimum at the current numbers... if they sign him to 6year/80mill with incentives, then it could cost more or less this year, depending on the incentive type and how the CBA end of cap rules are written.
I don't think that's a problem at all. They are both under contract, and have zero leverage right now. The good news? They are both in contract years. Hopefully (and especially if 2010 is uncapped) they'll both pay lights out and we can give them whatever next offseason.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I don't think that's a problem at all. They are both under contract, and have zero leverage right now. The good news? They are both in contract years. Hopefully (and especially if 2010 is uncapped) they'll both pay lights out and we can give them whatever next offseason.
right, if the cap gets scrapped, it's less than not a big deal. If the new CBA includes more player money, not a big deal. but it'd suck to skip the OL/LB/resigning needs this year entirely to find ourselves stuck in the same position next year signing rogers/campbell and spending another year without an OL.

that's more likely NOT to be the case, but it is possible the new CBA ends up with union concessions and a n economic excuse for a marginally low cap increase too.

right now it looks like snyder is going to throw nukes if he has to to get the cap killed though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Apparently, after cutting Washington and restructuring ARE, CArter, Samuels, and Griffin, we are now 6M under the cap.

If we cut Springs and Taylor, that would put us about 22M under, if i'm not mistaken. We could probably sign Hall and be 14-16M under. Thats plenty of money to make some other, smaller moves to upgrade our team.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #28
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

Of course he would ,his job was on the line.Can anyone tell me the last time he played a full year .I like the guy, I wish the Giants hadn't let him go but with age and injury .........you need to up grade the D line.
Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Of course he would ,his job was on the line.Can anyone tell me the last time he played a full year .I like the guy, I wish the Giants hadn't let him go but with age and injury .........you need to up grade the D line.