Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Stepping Up in 2009

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker

Re: Stepping Up in 2009

1) All of our ROOKIES from last year need to step up except Horton. We had a weak class of rookies last year so far. They better show up in shape this time.

2) OL and Campbell - Our O-line needs to step up. It will help Campbell.

3) Pass Rush - Neeed DL and LB to produce more sacks, while staying stout against the run.

4) Outside LB's - We need WLB and SLB to step up and play physical. Our oustside LB were not disruptive last year.

5) Nickel Back - Now that Shawn Taylor is gone and Rogers & Hall are our two starters, we need Smoot or someone else to step up and play well as nickel CB. Smoot was not up to the task last year. HE was the weak link when he played.

Last edited by Defensewins; 03-02-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
4mrusmc
Impact Rookie

Smile Re: Stepping Up in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I love how if you try to present some logical reasons as to why JC struggled in the 2nd half of last season (as did the entire offense, but let's just ignore that) you're an "apologist".

Ok, we'll see how he plays with an improved OL and the benefit of being in the same system for 2 years in a row. I'm betting on marked improvement.
Agreed. I'll admit that JC did not have sufficient time in the pocket to look for his receivers. It was pretty pathetic that as soon as the ball was snapped that JCs' pocket had already collapsed around him.

My main dig on JC is that when I look at him on the field trying to orchestrate the game winning drive, that he just looks unimpressed with the whole situation that is before him. If I'm in that huddle and I see my qb looking like that, I question if this guy has his heart in it. I want to see a confident warrior, give me a look of, we are going to take this ball and shove it up in there sideways on them.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Stepping Up in 2009

1) OFFENSIVE PASS PRODUCTION - The passing game has to improve drastically. Wide receivers could not consistently get separation. Quarterback reads were too slow. Pass protection broke down too often. The passing plays relied to much on run after the catch and many times failed to get sufficient yardage to convert third down situations.
KEY PLAYERS THAT NEED TO STEP UP:Campbell, Thomas, Kelly, entire offensive line

2) PASS RUSH - The acquisition of Albert Haynesworth is a godsend. If he performs as he has done in the past the pass rush will be greatly improved. Investing so much into one player is a big gamble and if he misses any stretch of games, the defense will regress. Need Jason Taylor to revert back to form and Andre Carter needs to continue to play at a high level.
KEY PLAYERS THAT NEED TO STEP UP:Haynesworth, Taylor, Carter, Griffin

3)LINEBACKERS - With the release of Marcus Washington, the age of London Fletcher and the lack of production of Rocky McIntosh, this unit is the weak link of the defense. I have nothing bad to say about London Fletcher, he may be one of the best free agent acquisitions of the Snyder era. With the 13th pick in the draft, the Skins need to get an outside linebacker that can play immediately. I'm not sold on H.B. Blades being a starter.
KEY PLAYERS THAT NEED TO STEP UP:Rocky McIntosh, #13 Draft pick

4)PLAY CALLING - Jim Zorn's play calling in the first half of the season caught the rest of the NFL by surprise and was successful. As the season progressed, it seemed as though the rest of the league caught onto what they were trying to do and the offense backtracked. Zorn continued to attack teams the same way and did not adjust to what other teams were doing. The NFL is all about adjustments and it didn't seem the Redskins did a good job of adjusting to their opponents. I think Zorn needs to delegate more responsibility to other coaches. He is trying to do too much. You can't be head coach, offensive coordinator, play caller and quarterback coach, all at once.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Eknox
Impact Rookie

how about the backup tailback, that we've been paying to pretty much take up space on the team Ladelle Betts he hasn't doe anything since 07, which is why I'm one of the people who think tailback is a big need, cause when CP went down we had nothing...
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
I love how if you try to present some logical reasons as to why JC struggled in the 2nd half of last season (as did the entire offense, but let's just ignore that) you're an "apologist".

Ok, we'll see how he plays with an improved OL and the benefit of being in the same system for 2 years in a row. I'm betting on marked improvement.
I think JC showed such a sizable improvement last year, that there is no way he hit his ceiling in terms of potential. Like you mentioned, the entire offense struggled, so we can't put all the blame on JC. He certainly has some blame there, but when other teams figured us out, it was only natural that JC had difficulty. He WILL be better this year. So yes, I'd put him on the "step up" list, but I KNOW he will.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eknox View Post
how about the backup tailback, that we've been paying to pretty much take up space on the team Ladelle Betts he hasn't doe anything since 07, which is why I'm one of the people who think tailback is a big need, cause when CP went down we had nothing...
We had nothing with CP in there too later in the year. It's called poor blocking up front.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
44ever

Quote:
We had nothing with CP in there too later in the year. It's called poor blocking up front.
Definatly poor blocking up front but if you look at Portis' injury report, he started to break down mid season as well. I think we should be using a 2 back system

With that said, the poor blocking was more the problem
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #23
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ever View Post
Definatly poor blocking up front but if you look at Portis' injury report, he started to break down mid season as well. I think we should be using a 2 back system

With that said, the poor blocking was more the problem
Praise the Football Gods, someone understands what I'm saying our running game is outdated Oline, RB, and backup RB for sure..
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
Miller101
Special Teams

Whoever our punt returner is that is not named Moss.

And all of our wide recievers...............they need to learn how to catch a pass. Especially when it hits them in the hands and/ or chest.
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
redskinjim
Special Teams

i think we need a better backup betts did not look good last year and portis is looking older he really takes a pounding
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #26
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

The ENTIRE OFFENSE! 16 points per game is unacceptable. Especially when the defense stepped up the way they did in terms of turnovers, and points per game allowed....
Old 03-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Without a doubt, Jason Campbell is the player who absolutely NEEDS to step up the most. If he's 2nd-half 2008 Jason Campbell, we're in for a long and disappointing season. However, if he improves from his first half 2008 performance (and the additions we've made to the team thus far live up to expectations), were going to the playoffs.

Who do i KNOW will step up?

1. Kareem Moore - Injuries hurt his progression during the first half of the season, but if he had been healthy, its very likely that when Reed Doughty went down with injury, Moore would have been starting FS and Landry would have moved to SS where he belongs and Horton wouldnt have become everyones favorite rookie. Coaches were very impressed with Moore before he was injured and he was playing solid ball by the time the season ended. By the end of 2009 (at the latest), Moore will be our starting FS and Landry will be making all kinds of plays near the line of scrimmage as our SS.

2. Fred Davis - A month or so ago, Shawn Springs was on ESPN980 and said Fred Davis would be THE best TE in the league within a couple years. His laziness really hurt him early last year, but i fully expect coaches to devise ways to get him and Cooley on the field as much as possible in 2009. Zorn seemed to allude to this month in a recent interview. Davis is going to have a monster year and the person who's going to be hurt most by this is Mike Sellers. 2TE sets are going to be far more common in our offense next year and most of the time, this is going to mean Sellers is on the bench. Who is it going to help most? Jason Campbell. Up until now, Cooleys been the only guy he can rely on. Our rookie WRs are still a work in progress and Moss and ARE are about as unreliable as WRs can get. When we look back on the 2008 draft in two years, i think we're going to find that Fred Davis was the best pick of the draft.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #28
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well apart from the obvious (receivers, Campbell) I'll also say Dockery. He was starting to develop some here under Bugel, went for the money in Buffalo and practically regressed. He'll need to step it up in 2009.

Also, Andre Carter and Jason Taylor (understanding that he had a major injury last season). Haynesworth's signing first and foremost is supposed to allow our pass rushers to do their thing. So the better

And finally...Shaun Suisham. Make more field goals. Not only does that put more points on the board, it helps our field position and makes thing easier on our defense.
God I hope Suisham is not our kicker

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #29
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Well I guess now we can scratch Jason Taylor from this thread.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote