Government shutdown 2018

Debating with the enemy

Old 01-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Government shutdown 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You can call it spin, but the government being closed Sat and Sunday was probably always the plan on both sides, there was no "real" pain from that

Reagan was the "great communicator" but even he had to fire air traffic controllers to prove the point that he was willing to stand up to special interests. Trying to paint this as anything but a win for Trump and the republicans is ridiculous, and really shows how far the hatters gonna hat.
Matty any real pain from not knowing if or when you were going to get paid again? I know both my kids felt a whole lot of pain....being Military spouse's. So again your spin is BS. The republicans run the WH ,Senate and House and this could have been avoided.

To call this a win for anyone is plain stupid.

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #47
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
You can call it spin, but the government being closed Sat and Sunday was probably always the plan on both sides, there was no "real" pain from that, and both sides gauged how the spin was going. Clearly the Dems felt more heat, and after half a day were willing to walk back to the table with basically nothing.

Reagan was the "great communicator" but even he had to fire air traffic controllers to prove the point that he was willing to stand up to special interests. Trying to paint this as anything but a win for Trump and the republicans is ridiculous, and really shows how far the hatters gonna hat.

At the end of the day trump and the republicans are willing to ruin people’s lives for a ridiculously ineffective and expensive wall just so they can check something off their list and satisfy the racists and xenophobes that make up a majority of their base. You call it a win. I call it further proof that he / they are out of touch with humanity.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #48
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Matty any real pain from not knowing if or when you were going to get paid again? I know both my kids felt a whole lot of pain....being Military spouse's. So again your spin is BS. The republicans run the WH ,Senate and House and this could have been avoided.

To call this a win for anyone is plain stupid.

Pretty sure Okie had just posted something about how this hurt his plans/pay for the week. He probably is not alone .... at all.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #49
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Lindsey Graham was giving his side of the exact situation he was part of.....that is a fact no matter how much you try to spin it.
The only comment in the article from Graham was this:
Quote:
GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham has criticized Miller throughout the negotiations, the Times noted, with the South Carolina lawmaker referring to the Trump aide as an “outlier.”

“His heart is right on this issue; I think he’s got a good understanding of what will sell, and every time we have a proposal, it is only yanked back by staff members,” Graham said Sunday, referring to Trump.

“As long as Stephen Miller is in charge of negotiating immigration, we are going nowhere. He’s been an outlier for years,” Graham added.
That is an opinion[2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge a person of rigid opinions].
It is a strong opinion from a person with a stake in the process, but nothing in those paragraphs are facts.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #50
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Pretty sure Okie had just posted something about how this hurt his plans/pay for the week. He probably is not alone .... at all.
Punch, it's a win. Trump/right get what they want, the left doesn't get what they want. We call that winning. There can't be any winning on both sides of the aisle, that's not how this works. There will always be a loser to counteract the winner.

Cred/Chico are you going to hold the Republican leaders of Congress responsible if they pretend like they didn't promise to revisit the issue in good faith by Feb 8th?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #51
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Punch, it's a win. Trump/right get what they want, the left doesn't get what they want. We call that winning. There can't be any winning on both sides of the aisle, that's not how this works. There will always be a loser to counteract the winner.

Cred/Chico are you going to hold the Republican leaders of Congress responsible if they pretend like they didn't promise to revisit the issue in good faith by Feb 8th?
Let’s be honest they were on the right path working on it til someone said shithole...allegedly....That’s a deal breaker apparently.

I’d really like to see something get done when it’s comes to immigration. Getting daca and some border security would be a win for the American people.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #52
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I don't even care if they build the wall at this point. Nothing is going to pass regarding immigration reform unless they agree to it. The hilarious part is the whole "Mexico is gonna pay for it" concept. They aren't. Congress might agree to pay for it with the idea they will explore ways to get reimbursed by Mexico down the road, but in this age of 15 minute headlines nobody will hold them accountable for it.

All I want is for DACA recipients to have their situation resolved. 90% have jobs, are taxpaying contributors to this nation, have done nothing illegal to be deserving of being kicked out, you would think even the right can see they aren't worth fighting against. If you want to arrest illegal aliens who come to this country to commit crimes, i.e. gangmembers, etc. go right ahead.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #53
MTK
\m/

So much winning I can barely take it
Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't even care if they build the wall at this point. Nothing is going to pass regarding immigration reform unless they agree to it. The hilarious part is the whole "Mexico is gonna pay for it" concept. They aren't. Congress might agree to pay for it with the idea they will explore ways to get reimbursed by Mexico down the road, but in this age of 15 minute headlines nobody will hold them accountable for it.

All I want is for DACA recipients to have their situation resolved. 90% have jobs, are taxpaying contributors to this nation, have done nothing illegal to be deserving of being kicked out, you would think even the right can see they aren't worth fighting against. If you want to arrest illegal aliens who come to this country to commit crimes, i.e. gangmembers, etc. go right ahead.
Wall is a bad metaphor for really try to strengthen a porous border. It allows drugs to enter, some bad hombres such as gang members, and encourages human trafficking. Not to mention Americans who live along the border having strangers pass through their property.

We accept immigrants from the south, just do it legally. Why say you want to be in this country and the first thing you do is break federal law. I know the countries south really don’t care about the justice system or their laws....but here it’s a big deal.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #55
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Of course they are not. Lol.
They hold a majority and the white House. They all say they are for DACA. So why is nothing done about it? Why is a dumbass wall more important than these people’s lives? Oh yeah because of all those murdering rapist mexicans. Gtfoh. This disgusting excuse for a human being who is pulling on trumps strings will make sure it doesn’t get resolved.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #56
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Let’s be honest they were on the right path working on it til someone said shithole...allegedly....That’s a deal breaker apparently.

I’d really like to see something get done when it’s comes to immigration. Getting daca and some border security would be a win for the American people.

Allegedly my ass. Not one person denied or spoke up about anything for 18 hours. Than two hardline dipshits who originally stated that they did not recall suddenly, a week later, on fox, remembered crystal clear that he did not say it. Just stop. And who cares about his thoughts on a particular land mass. He was wondering why we need more PEOPLE from these shitholes.
And the only deal breaker is his racist buddy Miller whispering in his ear.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #57
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I wonder what the wall is going to do about the tunnel epidemic, which is a major contributor to illegal drugs/human trafficking coming in. Speaking of illegal drugs coming in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico
Wall is a bad metaphor for really try to strengthen a porous border. It allows drugs to enter, some bad hombres such as gang members, and encourages human trafficking. Not to mention Americans who live along the border having strangers pass through their property.

We accept immigrants from the south, just do it legally. Why say you want to be in this country and the first thing you do is break federal law. I know the countries south really don’t care about the justice system or their laws....but here it’s a big deal.
Chico I know this is a personal question so feel free to not answer, but you smoke right? You are breaking federal law when you smoke. Speaking of smoking, which got a pass under Obama, Sessions recently just announced the rollback of those Obama era protections right? If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your supply from? Do you grow it yourself? If you're buying your favorite strain off the street, have you verified where it came from? What if it came in the country on the back of a cartel member, would you care? What if it came in the country on a handmade rickety cart that crossed the border underground?

S/N another problem to beefing up border security is the whole "not enough good applicants" thing. CBP already has a problem with agents leaving for better law enforcement jobs where the terrain isn't nearly as rough and the pay is just as good if not better.

Just to be clear, if Trump wants to beef up border security, hire more agents, invest in technology that makes their jobs easier, etc. I'm all for it. But if his plan is "build the wall" it won't be good enough.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #58
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I seriously don't understand the narrative that a wall would not make a difference. I can give examples from ancient times to modern day eastern European countries who have greatly reduced refugees with border walls. Can anyone cite an example of a wall that failed without a foreign invading army involved?

Or would anyone want to live next to a maximum security prison that had no physical walls and just video surveillance?

There are more than enough examples of working border walls throughout history. I am just interested in examples where a wall did not significantly reduce external intrusions into a country. (Again not talking about foreign army invasions)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #59
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

And Mooby I think that part of the overall border security provisions it would have to include electronic and personnel improvements as well as the physical wall
Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #60
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I seriously don't understand the narrative that a wall would not make a difference. I can give examples from ancient times to modern day eastern European countries who have greatly reduced refugees with border walls. Can anyone cite an example of a wall that failed without a foreign invading army involved?

Or would anyone want to live next to a maximum security prison that had no physical walls and just video surveillance?

There are more than enough examples of working border walls throughout history. I am just interested in examples where a wall did not significantly reduce external intrusions into a country. (Again not talking about foreign army invasions)
Is there going to be a wall around the whole country ,becuase unless there is ...................It's BS,33 billion dollars of BS.What about Hawaii and Alaska how do you stop "illegal immigration" in those place's???Is the wall going around FL or Me.?