Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who will be the next coach of the Redskins and does it even freakin matter?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #361
Warthog
The Starter

Re: Who will be the next coach of the Redskins and does it even freakin matter?

Alex Smith is getting paid next year even if he doesn’t play, so why not use his NFL smarts? He’s a great mentor for Haskins and he is well thought of in the league. He knows far more than Bruce Allen, who is just a yes-man hack, with little or no NFL knowledge.

It’s important for Snyder to have someone to consult with, in order to fire Bruce. Snyder will only move on from BA with a new advisor. We could do far worse than Alex Smith and it allows Snyder to fire BA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #362
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Alex Smith is getting paid next year even if he doesn’t play, so why not use his NFL smarts? He’s a great mentor for Haskins and he is well thought of in the league. He knows far more than Bruce Allen, who is just a yes-man hack, with little or no NFL knowledge.

It’s important for Snyder to have someone to consult with, in order to fire Bruce. Snyder will only move on from BA with a new advisor. We could do far worse than Alex Smith and it allows Snyder to fire BA.

I can't agree with this post enough. Snyder is hanging out with an actual football man. That's a major improvement over his last two "football" men.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #363
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:

While I agree that Snyder will benefit more from hanging out with Alex than Bruce, Cerrato, and the other guys who have been close to him over the years, I think you are making a huge leap to believe Smith would advise Dan to fire Bruce.

Bruce "masterminded" the trade to get Alex from KC and pushed for the long-term contract before Smith ever played a snap. Its quite likely that Smith has a far more favorable view of Bruce than you believe. He certainly doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would "bite the hand that feeds him" by turning against Bruce. Their conversations are most likely centered more on Haskins and his development and the kind of coaching moves that could be made to assist in his development. Which brings me to the following:

Smith could even be advising Snyder NOT to fire Bruce and give him more time. Instead, he might even be working on behalf of Snyder to convince Bieniemy that Bruce really isn't that bad and that he can succeed here where others failed. If Allen stays and they were to get Beiniemy, Dan, Bruce, and Alex would all consider it a home run success.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #364
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
While I agree that Snyder will benefit more from hanging out with Alex than Bruce, Cerrato, and the other guys who have been close to him over the years, I think you are making a huge leap to believe Smith would advise Dan to fire Bruce.

Bruce "masterminded" the trade to get Alex from KC and pushed for the long-term contract before Smith ever played a snap. Its quite likely that Smith has a far more favorable view of Bruce than you believe. He certainly doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would "bite the hand that feeds him" by turning against Bruce. Their conversations are most likely centered more on Haskins and his development and the kind of coaching moves that could be made to assist in his development. Which brings me to the following:

Smith could even be advising Snyder NOT to fire Bruce and give him more time. Instead, he might even be working on behalf of Snyder to convince Bieniemy that Bruce really isn't that bad and that he can succeed here where others failed. If Allen stays and they were to get Beiniemy, Dan, Bruce, and Alex would all consider it a home run success.
That last paragraph is a nightmare scenario.

I also hope Alex is smart enough to know he doesn't need to advise Dan on anything FO related unless Dan specifically asks for his opinion, and even then hopefully he'd lead with "I'm not going to tell you how to run your franchise, but I think you'd have a hard time bringing in the best candidates if Bruce was still running the ops."
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #365
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

What a stunner, of the 9 NFL head coaching jobs that ESPN predicts will he open at the end of the season they pick the Redskins as the worst and Cowboys as the best.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #366
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Why not hire a proven GM and let him bring in the HC? Just thinking logically here...

5superbowls3wins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #367
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I think all of the debate is fun, but ultimately pointless as it pertains to Bruce's future in DC. I think at this point we can all safely say that Bruce is going nowhere anytime soon unless he chooses to retire.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #368
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I think all of the debate is fun, but ultimately pointless as it pertains to Bruce's future in DC. I think at this point we can all safely say that Bruce is going nowhere anytime soon unless he chooses to retire.
And I thought I was a major pessimist.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #369
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
And I thought I was a major pessimist.
I really try to not be a pessimist. People on here may think otherwise, but i think when you look back over the whole Bruce saga, there has been SO MANY times that we believed that Bruce's job was in danger, and looking back in hindsight it was never true, it was just BS stories made up by reporters that had no factual basis. In the early internet days, you would call it "click bait". But yet's that's exactly what Chris Russell and his peers did after the Green Bay game.

I mean no disrespect to Russell, he is plugged in and knows his shit and many times he is the first to break legit stories that no one else even knew of / had early access to. It's kind of like the boy who cried wolf, in a way. One day, years down the road, there will be real, legit news of Bruce retiring / being fired, etc., and we won't believe it. Because we have been burned so many times in the past.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:15 AM   #370
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I really try to not be a pessimist. People on here may think otherwise, but i think when you look back over the whole Bruce saga, there has been SO MANY times that we believed that Bruce's job was in danger, and looking back in hindsight it was never true, it was just BS stories made up by reporters that had no factual basis. In the early internet days, you would call it "click bait". But yet's that's exactly what Chris Russell and his peers did after the Green Bay game.

I mean no disrespect to Russell, he is plugged in and knows his shit and many times he is the first to break legit stories that no one else even knew of / had early access to. It's kind of like the boy who cried wolf, in a way. One day, years down the road, there will be real, legit news of Bruce retiring / being fired, etc., and we won't believe it. Because we have been burned so many times in the past.

You may be right, because Snyder is an idiot owner who keeps sycophants such as Bruce Allen around to suck up fan hatred and vitriol AND to suck up to him. However, the team has just had a historically terrible season. 3 wins is not “damn close” to anything and even Snyder can see that (although he may ignore it as he has done before). The team is going backwards, it is easy for anyone to see that the fan base is disappearing. I was at the game today and in my section their were about twice as many Eagles as Redskins fans. Even with the massive influx of Eagles fans, the stadium was 30% or more empty. This has happened every game this year.

So what MAY be different this year?

1. No real NFL-qualified HC candidate will come here with BA in any capacity on this team. 10 years of failure under different coaches shows that it is impossible to win with BA around. Since Washington is considered the WORST location to go to for the eight or nine teams to be looking HC’s, it’s the candidates that are in the drivers seat NOT Snyder. I believe that the best candidates will tell Snyder TO HIS FACE, that getting rid of BA and other changes will be necessary to even CONSIDER this horrible franchise.

2. Whether this season or in the future, the NFL will tell Snyder to fix this franchise’s many problems. The NFL television cameras may ignore and try to obscure the empty stadium or massive opposing team’s infiltration but it can’t do so forever. IF just one game DIDN’T have 30,000-40,000 yelling fans from the other team, the stadium might be just 30% full of REDSKINS fans. That’s impossible for the NFL to ignore. Snyder is the NFL joke and fool but if the fan support continues to deteriorate it makes the NFL look bad. Even he must worry about that although I’m sure BA is telling him the team is “damn close” to getting better. Lol.

We’ll know soon. I’m very cautiously optimistic that BA will be gone.

Flyboy.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:31 AM   #371
Warthog
The Starter

Concerning Alex Smith, he’s around next year even if he doesn’t play. If BA is dumped, I can easily see him filling the role as Snyder’s buddy and advisor, whether informally or with a job title. Certainly he’ll help Haskins next year.

He is probably done as a player, it just depends if he wants to move into management. Impossible to know and he may not even know himself.

I never said Alex would try to sabotage BA or steal his job. He’s way too classy for that and gets paid $18 mill without doing anything, based on Bruce’s ridiculous contract for a aged QB veteran. BA sabotages other people who threaten him, not Alex. I don’t have any idea about what Alex thinks of BA. Just because Bruce was desperate to fill the QB hole after buffooning the Cousins situation and gave Alex a fantastic contract doesn’t mean Smith respects Allen.

All I’m saying is that with Alex around it makes it easier for Snyder to perhaps dump BA.

Flyboy.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #372
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Having Smith around isn't a big deal, he's on the payroll so he'll be here at least til the end of next season. But what bothers me is that for someone who was so successful in business can't seem to think and do on his own. It's like Snyder isn't his own man and needs a lackey around to do all his dirty work. Mr Cooke was like the total opposite of this clown. For all his faults he didn't need a incompetent lackey who doesn't have common sense skills. He could judge whether someone could do the job or not. This is Dan's biggest weakness, his loyalty to losers like Bruce and Vinny and his inability to hire a strong GM & coach to set the tone.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #373
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Having Smith around isn't a big deal, he's on the payroll so he'll be here at least til the end of next season. But what bothers me is that for someone who was so successful in business can't seem to think and do on his own. It's like Snyder isn't his own man and needs a lackey around to do all his dirty work. Mr Cooke was like the total opposite of this clown. For all his faults he didn't need a incompetent lackey who doesn't have common sense skills. He could judge whether someone could do the job or not. This is Dan's biggest weakness, his loyalty to losers like Bruce and Vinny and his inability to hire a strong GM & coach to set the tone.

I agree 100%! A strong and honest owner would have recognized their own lack of NFL knowledge and picked a NFL savvy GM from the beginning to build a winning culture 20 years ago. Instead, Snyder modeled his ownership style after his hero, Jerry Jones of the Cowboys. Unfortunately, JJ actually has some football knowledge and sense, as well as being an articulate communicator for the franchise. Snyder has neither trait. He’s always been the little brother sucking his thumb, while his big brother drives the family tractor and helps run the farm. Snyder is still considered one of the worst or THE WORST owners in the NFL.

Unfortunately, even with the gross mismanagement of this franchise, the Redskins are worth 3.3 billion, three times what he paid for it. He charges $14 for a beer, with terrible service at the stadium. My son yesterday ordered “Nacho chips” and they were the crumpled small pieces from the bottom of a bag. My daughter stood in line for over 40 minutes for food -50+ people in line for two incompetent and super slow servers.

But he’s in a Catch 22. Neither Maryland, Virginia nor DC will pay for a stadium to such a disliked billionaire, with an awful team. They also know he will not leave, so he can’t play that card. No new stadium unless he brings in a co-owner with deep pockets.

The other Catch 22 is for the HC search. News articles list the Redskins in last place of the 8-9 teams that need Head Coaches. So he can’t get the top talent and BIG SPLASH he craves in the off-season, unless he gets rid of his toadie, Bruce Allen. I think the #fireBruceAllen has been effective. It has served its purpose, directing the fan anger from Snyder. I think he’ll fire BA. But he still will have to tell the best candidates two things to get the best candidates:

1. The new HC will have personnel control, like it happens on about half the NFL teams.

2. Snyder will agree to not to meddle in team affairs.

Then he may get a premiere HC. Otherwise they’ll promote O’Connell and nothing will change.

Flyboy.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #374
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Tomorrow is the 10th anniveraary of VCs dismissal.

It is the day Bruce Allen should resign/retire/be fired.

If that doesnt happen then the coaching search is almost guaranteed to produce Bruce Allen's Jim Zorn, and DS will lose the remainder of this fan base.

It is so discouraging that it hasn't happened yet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #375
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
You may be right, because Snyder is an idiot owner who keeps sycophants such as Bruce Allen around to suck up fan hatred and vitriol AND to suck up to him. However, the team has just had a historically terrible season. 3 wins is not “damn close” to anything and even Snyder can see that (although he may ignore it as he has done before). The team is going backwards, it is easy for anyone to see that the fan base is disappearing. I was at the game today and in my section their were about twice as many Eagles as Redskins fans. Even with the massive influx of Eagles fans, the stadium was 30% or more empty. This has happened every game this year.

So what MAY be different this year?

1. No real NFL-qualified HC candidate will come here with BA in any capacity on this team. 10 years of failure under different coaches shows that it is impossible to win with BA around. Since Washington is considered the WORST location to go to for the eight or nine teams to be looking HC’s, it’s the candidates that are in the drivers seat NOT Snyder. I believe that the best candidates will tell Snyder TO HIS FACE, that getting rid of BA and other changes will be necessary to even CONSIDER this horrible franchise.

2. Whether this season or in the future, the NFL will tell Snyder to fix this franchise’s many problems. The NFL television cameras may ignore and try to obscure the empty stadium or massive opposing team’s infiltration but it can’t do so forever. IF just one game DIDN’T have 30,000-40,000 yelling fans from the other team, the stadium might be just 30% full of REDSKINS fans. That’s impossible for the NFL to ignore. Snyder is the NFL joke and fool but if the fan support continues to deteriorate it makes the NFL look bad. Even he must worry about that although I’m sure BA is telling him the team is “damn close” to getting better. Lol.

We’ll know soon. I’m very cautiously optimistic that BA will be gone.

Let's play devil's advocate here, this is a healthy discussion.

Let's say Dan can't bring himself to get rid of Bruce. So that brings me on to your point of no real qualified NFL Head Coach comes here with Bruce still employed. What do you think the chances are that Dan / Bruce decides to hire Bill Callahan full time? They could have possibly already given Doug Williams the interview to satisfy the Rooney rule requirement?

How much can the NFL really do about Dan Snyder and our problems? Could the problems continue to plague us to the point where the NFL could boot Dan out? What would that take? A simple majority vote? And on what grounds? That Dan's continued ownership of the Redskins is affecting the league shared revenue / TV money / whatever?