Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2022 Commanders off season thread part 1

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #46
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: 2022 off season thread part 1

I'd say at this stage (before end of season cuts etc.) the only things we can speculate on are coaching changes and our own FA's. Aside from maybe a position coach or two getting offered, I don't see Turner or JDR being fired or headhunted. That leaves FA's. I'd split those (and this is based on the assumption our own FA's would all want to re-sign for more money):

Must re-sign:
McKissick - too versatile to let go with no clear replacement
Slye - if nothing else we need a proven #1 kicker going into the offseason. He's done nothing wrong, as I see it, not to come back.
Settle - I don't agree he's better than Payne, but there's no great drop off of talent. And Payne is prime trade material at this point.

Re-sign if cap friendly:
Scherff - On the one hand he has been oft injured but on the other he's Pro Bowl talent and arguably the anchor of the OL. Tough one as we're better with him in, but not worth mortgaging the future on a G.
McCain - Mixed bag this season but he was never touted as the saviour of the secondary. If he wants to re-sign and realistic in expectations, I'd bring him back.
Larsen - Good depth on OL notably at C. But not good enough to stretch to more than league average for 2nd string.
Roberts & McTyer - good depth at CB with some flashes but not enough to go overboard on new deals.
Humphries, Carter & Sims - None of them are must haves, though if I HAD to take 2 from 3, it would be Humphries & Carter. Humphries has played tough and been a better signing than Samuel. Carter has done OK at WR but given us a real spark in the return game (remember Sims last year...). I like Cam Sims, but I can't see him ever being more than depth.

Don't bother:
Bates' progress makes Seals-Jones expendable though I'd still draft a TE if we can, or bring in an equivalent FA. I don't see the point in bringing back Allen except as camp fodder; if he couldn't displace TH he isn't even a good option at backup. The rest are JAG's.

Extend Maclaurin as a priority, but that's a no brainer. I'd like to see Collins back as a hybrid LB, but it would have to be on a much better reworked deal, else he's a cap casualty if he refuses.

Jeez, do we have 2 massive holes at QB and MLB (I'd argue the 2nd most important positions on the team). This made me laugh - https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-dr...regular-season. No, OL and WR are NOT 2 of our biggest needs at this stage. Yes they are a concern, but a true leader at MLB is a far bigger issue than those 2 positions.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2022, 07:01 AM   #47
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Good point about protecting comp pick(s) if Scherff and Settle walk. https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/1/6/2...ming-offseason
Old 01-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #48
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ron Rivera jokes about drafting a rookie QB, "If we draft him, are you guys going to be patient enough to give me two seasons?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #49
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Ron Rivera jokes about drafting a rookie QB, "If we draft him, are you guys going to be patient enough to give me two seasons?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron dont want to see impatient.

We are giving him and his hand picked octogenarian buddies in the FO a do over for last years roster mistakes.

Ron hasnt seen ugly yet but go ahead and continue to not address the QB play, ignore good LBs in FA only to over reach for one with the 19th overall ... see what the fuck happens if your boy JDR dont figure out how to defend the pass and pressure the QB in 2022 Ron.

Find out Ron.

See what happens Ron.

Your 1 year amnesty bc you had cancer is about to expire.

This mother fucker talking about "will the fanbase be patient with me?"

Fucking find out.

Ron.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #50
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah this fanbase has been patient for 3 fucking decades

Old 01-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah this fanbase has been patient for 3 fucking decades

At least the scheduled opponents aren't as brutal next year. Still some tough outs but also a few bottom dwellers that we hopefully can beat.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #52
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Joe Judge fired.... thats a shame
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #53
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

WFT Martin Mayhew said of Brandon Scherff: "Fans should know we made every effort to get something done and we'll continue to work on that. We made an offer for him to be the highest paid offensive guard in the history of the NFL. We'll keep that dialogue to see where things go."

Keim
Old 01-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #54
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
WFT Martin Mayhew said of Brandon Scherff: "Fans should know we made every effort to get something done and we'll continue to work on that. We made an offer for him to be the highest paid offensive guard in the history of the NFL. We'll keep that dialogue to see where things go."

Keim
https://twitter.com/john_keim/status...81633536724995

That's an easy code to crack. Thanks for the memories and the All-Pro's, go get paid while you can.

I just hope we can part on good terms with him. If he gets paid top dollar that will help the case for a good comp pick.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:47 PM   #55
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Let's go Brandon!

In reality I don't see him coming back. While he'll be tough to replace, I wouldn't be interested in a long term deal at this point. He will demand top dollar. He'll also be on the wrong side of 30. With his knack for getting injured, I can't see that getting better the older he gets. If they could have gotten something done two years ago (highest paid or not), that would have been ideal. At this point, thanks for all you did Brandon.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #56
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Joe Judge fired.... thats a shame
As soon as Flores is available...
Old 01-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #57
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
As soon as Flores is available...
It's what I'm hoping for!
Old 01-11-2022, 07:21 PM   #58
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Let's go Brandon!

In reality I don't see him coming back. While he'll be tough to replace, I wouldn't be interested in a long term deal at this point. He will demand top dollar. He'll also be on the wrong side of 30. With his knack for getting injured, I can't see that getting better the older he gets. If they could have gotten something done two years ago (highest paid or not), that would have been ideal. At this point, thanks for all you did Brandon.

Yup it’s time to move on. A 20 mill per year guard would be extremely stupid move. Let him go test the market and pencil in Schweitzer who has played well and maybe spend a pick on guard on the upcoming draft as well.

QB, MLB, extending Terry are more pressing needs.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #59
Redskins 2021
Camp Scrub

If the nyg hire the old dolphins coach they will go after Deshawn Watson.
Redskins 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #60
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

We need another WR......I think we draft one in the 2nd round......unless Rivera cuts ties with Curtis Samuel there's no reason to bring in another veteran wide receiver.