Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #301
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

I don't think they should give him shit, even though he has leverage. He signed a deal and a deal is a deal. Either you play for the Redskins or sit on your couch and miss your 13 million dollar salary.

Advertisements
Old 06-14-2019, 03:34 AM   #302
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
The bad news is there is an internet tough guy who thinks he knows everything, and obviously has some sort of deep rooted mommy or daddy issues that need to be ironed out on this board. The good news is alot of other boards have multiple d-bags like that. Yay us.
Obviously something is going on, and I feel for him, but trashing other people isn't going to help.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 AM   #303
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I don't think they should give him shit, even though he has leverage. He signed a deal and a deal is a deal. Either you play for the Redskins or sit on your couch and miss your 13 million dollar salary.
I would take this approach as well.

Steelers got a 3rd and a 5th for AB. I would have sacrificed those picks to spite AB and send a message to all other players on the team that I do not negotiate with terrorists.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #304
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
I would take this approach as well.

Steelers got a 3rd and a 5th for AB. I would have sacrificed those picks to spite AB and send a message to all other players on the team that I do not negotiate with terrorists.
Now he's a terrorist? That's going too far, don't you think? It's just business in the NFL.

BTW, I would have taken the picks for AB because it's not personal - it's just business. Besides, "sending a message" to other players doesn't work because holding out is only an effective strategy for stars.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #305
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If they can make the numbers work I'm all for paying him. He's a top LT. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron. But if there's a legit trade offer you'd have to consider it.
OK, I finally voted "pay him", primarily because I wanted to be able to view the poll numbers. Very interesting. There were more "trade him" responses than I expected.

I pretty much agree with the bolded part above as long as it does not involve an extension of his current contract. His durability has waned in recent years and I'd hate to see the Skins carry significant salary cap dollars in future years for a player who is unable to perform.

I admit that I don't know how that can be done within the rules of the salary cap. Perhaps a bonus spread over the final two years of his contract. You know, for "exemplary career service" or something? I dunno. There must be some type of work-around.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #306
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Why are the only options pay or trade?

He's under contract two more years. "Do nothing" is a perfectly viable option. He's a 31 year old, injury-prone guy who NFL talking heads have said only has a few years left (due to his injury history). This is all about money for Trent - he's not going to lose nearly 1M per week by not playing. He will want those game checks, so he's going to show up, as do the majority of players who hold out in the offseason.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #307
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post

He's under contract two more years. "Do nothing" is a perfectly viable option. He's a 31 year old, injury-prone guy who NFL talking heads have said only has a few years left (due to his injury history). This is all about money for Trent - he's not going to lose nearly 1M per week by not playing. He will want those game checks, so he's going to show up, as do the majority of players who hold out in the offseason.
I think the best option is it depends.

How much is a team willing to trade?

How much is Trent asking for to make things "right"?

What are the odds he plays without doing anything?

Without knowing those things, it's just an emotional response.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #308
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Now he's a terrorist? That's going too far, don't you think? It's just business in the NFL.

BTW, I would have taken the picks for AB because it's not personal - it's just business. Besides, "sending a message" to other players doesn't work because holding out is only an effective strategy for stars.
Yes, if I was seriously calling T Willy a terrorist, that would be going too far.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #309
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
Yes, if I was seriously calling T Willy a terrorist, that would be going too far.

He might be a terrorist. Maybe Matty can hack his inter-web and find out.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #310
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I think the best option is it depends.

How much is a team willing to trade?

How much is Trent asking for to make things "right"?

What are the odds he plays without doing anything?

Without knowing those things, it's just an emotional response.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Given his age and injury history, I cant imagine any team would offer us enough to make it worth trading him. We actually need him, so trading him is almost a no-go for me. I don't care how much he is asking for either.

Again, given his age and injury history, combined with the facts we're already spending the most in the NFL on the offensive line, that we need to extend Scherff, and that we're stuck in 20M in dead cap for an injured alex smith each of the next two years.... why on earth would we commit even more money to Trent? It would be incredibly foolish - especially given he's got two more years left on his contract - a contract which, by the way, was the highest in the NFL when it was signed just 3 years ago.

As far as the odds Trent plays if we don't do anything, i'd put them at 100%. This is all about money. Ultimately, I think the Skins would be smart to call his bluff and, at most, guarantee a little bit more money on his contract next year and throw a few extra bucks at him to make him feel like got something.

I know we all love trent for what he's done for this team over the past decade. He's played hurt almost every game. But sadly, that's part of WHY we shouldn't give him more money now. He might only be 31, but his body's a lot more beaten up than other guys his age. I imagine he's retired by 34-35.

At this point, Trent is not a player the team can build around. He's more of a stop-gap until we can find a long-term replacement.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #311
Number44
Special Teams

I agree. That's why I didn't vote. Don't see the need to pay more now or panic and trade him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post

I agree. That's why I haven't voted. Don't see the need to pay him more now or panic and trade him. I think this is being blown out of proportion.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #312
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

As has been mentioned, with his history of missing a 1/4 of the games and not getting any younger, extending him with more guaranteed money would not be a smart move. That is a cap disaster waiting to happen. Also when he signed his contract he was the highest paid offensive tackle. Right now the $16 million dollar tackle is 4 years younger than Trent and doesn't miss games.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #313
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
I agree. That's why I didn't vote. Don't see the need to pay more now or panic and trade him.

I agree. That's why I haven't voted. Don't see the need to pay him more now or panic and trade him. I think this is being blown out of proportion.
I say trade him right now! We should take the picks and move on.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #314
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Amazing people are willing to throw Silverback off the team. FFS, has anyone watched the last couple years?

He Gets Us
Old 06-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #315
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Amazing people are willing to throw Silverback off the team. FFS, has anyone watched the last couple years?
Nobody wants to throw him off the team. Obviously he doesn't want to be here. According to reports he vowed not to play for us anymore. If that is the case we need to be compensated for him.
Closed Thread