Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #31
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Re: Alex Smith’s Amazing Comeback(?)

Smith will never play another snap, but wont retire until this guaranteed money isnt coming in. To think otherwise is ridiculous. Hind sight is always 20/20...the contract seemed a bit much just because of the guaranteed money....but a team that needs a qb will do that. The injury was unforeseen, and the only real reason anyone is upset about the contract (now). We knew it would handcuff us, but we expected to have a game manager that we could start building other parts of the roster up. Obviously we were drafting heavily on the defensive side. I believe this was all part of a plan. The injury throws the whole equation off. But to think that Smith is going to play again is absurd. I agree with sunny. Both sides are doing exactly what they have to right now in this situation. Retiring on his side would be nonsensical, and cutting him would be nonsensical. You can really tell it's the slow part of the season with threads like this.

Advertisements
Old 02-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #32
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinsfan402 View Post
Let him mentor Haskins until Smith is once again a contender (if he decides to) for the QB spot, and then have them "battle" it out and then pray that nothing terrible happens again.
That really serves no purpose. Even if he got back to 100% Alex Smith isn't the future of the Redskins. Alex Smith has no upside. If Haskins lost the battle to Alex it would do nothing but delay his development and the ability to decide whether the Redskins need to use a high pick on a QB in 2021.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #33
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
Smith will never play another snap, but wont retire until this guaranteed money isnt coming in. To think otherwise is ridiculous. Hind sight is always 20/20...the contract seemed a bit much just because of the guaranteed money....but a team that needs a qb will do that. The injury was unforeseen, and the only real reason anyone is upset about the contract (now). We knew it would handcuff us, but we expected to have a game manager that we could start building other parts of the roster up. Obviously we were drafting heavily on the defensive side. I believe this was all part of a plan. The injury throws the whole equation off. But to think that Smith is going to play again is absurd. I agree with sunny. Both sides are doing exactly what they have to right now in this situation. Retiring on his side would be nonsensical, and cutting him would be nonsensical. You can really tell it's the slow part of the season with threads like this.
I don't mean any disrespect to you, but what makes you know for certain that Smith never plays again? Cooley talks about him all the time and has said several times that he does believe that Alex Smith will be playing somewhere this coming season.

I think his comeback from where he went from nearly losing his leg, to nearly dying from infection, to get back to being able to walk without a cane, and then from there, go back to working out on a football field again, running, throwing, dropping back etc., is nothing short of miraculous. He for sure has a warriors' heart and for someone to not give the man a fair chance to tryout / workout would be cruel when you think of how much Alex wants it himself, and how far he has came. If Alex is aware of all of the risks which i'm sure he is, it's his life if he wants to do it. If he gets a fair medical evaluation and someone signs off on him, i think he deserves the chance.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #34
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The injury almost killed him. Would a doctor even sign off on him playing again?
Can the leg suffer another injury ,...........I'm talking about even a sprained ankle ,17 surgeries why would he want to and why would his family let him?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #35
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I don't mean any disrespect to you, but what makes you know for certain that Smith never plays again? Cooley talks about him all the time and has said several times that he does believe that Alex Smith will be playing somewhere this coming season.

I think his comeback from where he went from nearly losing his leg, to nearly dying from infection, to get back to being able to walk without a cane, and then from there, go back to working out on a football field again, running, throwing, dropping back etc., is nothing short of miraculous. He for sure has a warriors' heart and for someone to not give the man a fair chance to tryout / workout would be cruel when you think of how much Alex wants it himself, and how far he has came. If Alex is aware of all of the risks which i'm sure he is, it's his life if he wants to do it. If he gets a fair medical evaluation and someone signs off on him, i think he deserves the chance.

Everyone loves a good comeback story and it would be great to see him take the field again he is a great person and easy to root for but should he and the saine answer the common sense answer is no he shouldn't.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #36
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I guess only time will tell with Alex. He is pursuing this comeback relentlessly. I have to assume his family is supporting the comeback efforts, otherwise he probably would have retired almost immediately once he got relatively healthy again following all of the surgeries.

That being said though,many people are reporting that no professional athlete has ever suffered that serious of an injury with all of the following complications and yet still tried a comeback after, so he is in uncharted territory here.

For anyone who remembers the whole Theismann ordeal, how long did it take for Joe to come out and admit retirement? Did Joe have to retire right away or did he too attempt a comeback at some point, but ultimately not get medical clearance?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #37
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:

For anyone who remembers the whole Theismann ordeal, how long did it take for Joe to come out and admit retirement? Did Joe have to retire right away or did he too attempt a comeback at some point, but ultimately not get medical clearance?
From Wikipedia:

The compound fracture of the tibia and fibula led to insufficient bone growth during Theismann's recovery, leaving his right leg shorter than his left. As a result, the injury forced Theismann into retirement at the age of 36.

So it appears Theismann never had a chance at a comeback.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #38
MTK
\m/

https://youtu.be/w8dB2hiGW4Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #39
skinsfan69
Living Legend

There are some pictures floating around on the net of Smith's leg after surgery. I was going to post it but it was too disturbing so you can look it up if you want to. If it was in fact his leg, I can not believe that he still in fact has his leg.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #40
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I guess only time will tell with Alex. He is pursuing this comeback relentlessly. I have to assume his family is supporting the comeback efforts, otherwise he probably would have retired almost immediately once he got relatively healthy again following all of the surgeries.

That being said though,many people are reporting that no professional athlete has ever suffered that serious of an injury with all of the following complications and yet still tried a comeback after, so he is in uncharted territory here.

I was at the game when he broke his leg. I will never forget it cause the people behind us had one of those old school portable tv's. They cut if off after the replay cause they were so disturbed.

Anyway, JT did his rehab at the old Redskin Park all off season from what I remember. When the spring finally came around JT was asked to go out on the field and do a workout. It didn't go well and it was determined that he could no longer play. Cooke told him to collect on his Lloyds of London insurance for a million dollars, which he did.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

One look at that pic of his leg tells you he's not playing again.

His injury was similar to ones soldiers suffer in combat.

It's great that he's pushing hard to get back to as close to 100% as he can, but he's not playing again. Looking forward to the ESPN special on Friday.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #42
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
One look at that pic of his leg tells you he's not playing again.

His injury was similar to ones soldiers suffer in combat.

It's great that he's pushing hard to get back to as close to 100% as he can, but he's not playing again. Looking forward to the ESPN special on Friday.
It looked like a picture of someone who was already dead and their leg was in decomposition state.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #43
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I can't believe they didn't have to amputate. And definitely not surprised it got an infection.

Alex Smith is related to Chuck Norris. Has to be. Tough SOB.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #44
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I can't believe they didn't have to amputate. And definitely not surprised it got an infection.

Alex Smith is related to Chuck Norris. Has to be. Tough SOB.
IIRC from the days / weeks following his initial injury and rounds of surgery, they did recommend to Alex that they amputate it as he began to start getting sick from the infection, etc... But they left it up to him, and he decided to go down the much more difficult road of all of the surgeries and work involved to try and save his leg. Alex chose to go the tough road. Respect to him for that.

Looking at that picture now, and especially what his leg looks like even today a year and a half after surgery, I now throw my hat in the ring of there is no way he ever plays again.

I watched the little clip from Jimmy Traina's twitter. Alex's leg is disfigured, not just from scars, the bones are no longer straight, they actually look wavy and he has a huge lump / mass of some kind above his ankle. I was taken aback by the color of the skin of his leg. I will warn all, the pictures and video should not be watched by anyone who is squeamish. This man has been through pure hell, as others have said, it looks like a recovered combat injury....
Old 04-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #45
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

There were pictures his family took last halloween...tou can google it...and you can clearly see that he will never play again. 1 minute after the injury you were able to see that he would never play again. Anyone involved with the skins or Smith will say that hes trying to come back...because of the contract money. We dont need the hardy boys to solve this one. Dudes done. Hes been done since the moment the injury took place.