Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Writer's sure do us don't they?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #1
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Writer's sure do hate us don't they?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...nnsi&type=lgns

"3. Washington Redskins -- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and hopefully for the rest of Snyder's damn-the-torpedoes tenure, the Redskins will pay for their annual free-agent spending binge. They can cook the books and shove the salary-cap bills off for a year or two, but it's going to catch up with them at some point. When it does, it's not going to be pretty. But then, Washington fans have gotten used to ugly in the past four seasons, haven't they?

Look, the moves always appear good on paper in March. But somehow, when the season rolls around, the pieces of the puzzle never quite lock together. Mark Brunell seems like a luxury buy. Clinton Portis is the real deal, but the Redskins should have gotten a second-round pick from Denver, not given one up. Cornelius Griffin is better than what the Redskins had, but he's not a premier run-stuffer. Phillip Daniels? Springs? Marcus Washington? You can't pan their signings, but you shouldn't hurt yourself praising them, either.

Washington likely will have just one pick in this year's draft, and that's where you get young, inexpensive labor in this league. But that takes patience, and there's never enough of that in D.C. As always, the Redskins have a plan. It's just that it seems so willy-nilly. Again."

I can't wait to see these same smug, "I know football so well even though I never played or coached" writers eating a nice serving of crow when Gibbs gets this team to finally live up to its potential.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Writers sure can b*ow me next year when were rippin people apart. They pretend to know whats going on, and think they are the GM's of the world. I cant stand it, I mean they are all entitled to their opinion, but ill just let them know they are wrong this year.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:19 AM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Don Banks wrote that article. He's normally not so anti-Skin.

Oh well, f' em.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I love how writers totally change their position if a team like the skins turns it around. They talk about how smart the buys are. These guys are really full of shit for the most part.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:16 AM   #5
beg8878
Special Teams

As I said many times before, they have every right to say stuff like this. This is what, the 4th straight year of us dominating the off season. and what have the results been so far? I hate to admit it, but until we start winning games in the regular season and actually make the playoffs, these writers are correct with what they are saying. What do you want them to write " The Redskins overhauled their roster yet again, their approach hasn't exactly worked wonders the past 4 years but we all like Gibbs so it has to work now". If we want to earn there respect, our team has to be able to earn it on the field first....
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #6
cpayne5
Playmaker

Their job is to be entertaining and to sell magazines. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'll get over it with the first Lombardi trophy.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beg8878
As I said many times before, they have every right to say stuff like this. This is what, the 4th straight year of us dominating the off season. and what have the results been so far? I hate to admit it, but until we start winning games in the regular season and actually make the playoffs, these writers are correct with what they are saying. What do you want them to write " The Redskins overhauled their roster yet again, their approach hasn't exactly worked wonders the past 4 years but we all like Gibbs so it has to work now". If we want to earn there respect, our team has to be able to earn it on the field first....

Nice post. I couldn't agree more. No one loves the Skins more than I do, but that does not mean that I am blind to the groundhog day that occurs every year during free agency. To many Warpath members look at everything through Burgandy colored glasses.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
Redskins8588
Playmaker

I agree they have every right to say what they say, but what about the teams that are way under the cap and they dont do anything (i.e. Cinncy,Cards) every season the teams that are under the cap usually have loosing records. Atleast Synder is trying to get a good team together and not trying to get rich from owning the team.
Redskins8588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #9
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beg8878
I'm with you on this one. Money is always flying from left to right and we have nothing to show for it. It is becoming really tiresome....so tiresome in fact that my excitement about the off-season is almost nill. Frankly, the only good thing the Skins have going for them right now is Gibbs and in all honesty I am petrified of the prospect of him failing. I am actually not worried about the Skins but about Gibbs tarnishing is reputation. It is easy to say he will repeat his past performance but in reality no one really knows. All I have to say is I am anxious and it is not the good kind of anxiety.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

winning will silence the critics
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote