Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Defense Only Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

The Defense Only Thread

Is it OK if we just talk Redskins Defense in this thread? This seems to be the unit most in need of improvement and I'd like to hear from some smart people who post here about where we go from here on Defense. So, to begin with, I'm wondering about a few things:

1. A lot is made out of Will Compton being a "quarterback" on Defense. Yet, Will is a mediocre athlete, IMO. So, just how important is a "QB" on defense, anyway? Yesterday, Will got "dinged" and went out of the game for a while. S'ua Cravens came in and made a series of big plays, a couple of them tackles for loss. Shouldn't talent prevail, even at the defensive "QB" position?

2. I thought I saw some plays where Trent Murphy lined up at OLB and Preston Smith lined up inside of him with his hand in the dirt as a DE on passing downs. It seemed to work well for us. What do you think of this alignment going forward?

3. How long does it take to get a player ready to play the slot CB position? Yesterday, I saw Dashaun Phillips chasing the Dallas slot receiver a lot but not actually covering him. Their slot receiver had a field day against us. Kendall Fuller is very talented and he seems to be perfect for the slot CB role. He can cover and he is a playmaker. When is he likely to see the field?

Advertisements
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: The Defense Only Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Is it OK if we just talk Redskins Defense in this thread? This seems to be the unit most in need of improvement and I'd like to hear from some smart people who post here about where we go from here on Defense. So, to begin with, I'm wondering about a few things:

1. A lot is made out of Will Compton being a "quarterback" on Defense. Yet, Will is a mediocre athlete, IMO. So, just how important is a "QB" on defense, anyway? Yesterday, Will got "dinged" and went out of the game for a while. S'ua Cravens came in and made a series of big plays, a couple of them tackles for loss. Shouldn't talent prevail, even at the defensive "QB" position?

2. I thought I saw some plays where Trent Murphy lined up at OLB and Preston Smith lined up inside of him with his hand in the dirt as a DE on passing downs. It seemed to work well for us. What do you think of this alignment going forward?

3. How long does it take to get a player ready to play the slot CB position? Yesterday, I saw Dashaun Phillips chasing the Dallas slot receiver a lot but not actually covering him. Their slot receiver had a field day against us. Kendall Fuller is very talented and he seems to be perfect for the slot CB role. He can cover and he is a playmaker. When is he likely to see the field?
Very good thread.

In regards to your point about Compton and Cravens, I'm wondering why both of them cannot be on the field. Since we are technically a 3-4 defense, doesn't that mean that we can line up two players at ILB? Just curious.

I think the biggest need for the offense is in the interior line. We either need to draft a first round player or get a starting-caliber free agent. I know we missed out on Leonard William, but I don't think we could have passed on Scherff.

I don't see the interior line being disruptive enough for the edge rushers to work. Both Preston and Kerrigan are just pushed around the opposing QB, because there is always a nice pocket in the middle due to the lack of push by the interior line.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't see the interior line being disruptive enough for the edge rushers to work. Both Preston and Kerrigan are just pushed around the opposing QB, because there is always a nice pocket in the middle due to the lack of push by the interior line.
What do you think about using Preston as an inside rusher on passing downs?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #4
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

At this point I would put Preston anywhere that works.
We did a little better yesterday but our QB pressure overall is really lacking.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
SirLK26
The Starter

It starts up front with the Dline. Our defensive personnel is better everywhere except the line imo, where we actually regressed. We need better guys up front plain and simple, and it's not gonna happen this year
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
At this point I would put Preston anywhere that works.
We did a little better yesterday but our QB pressure overall is really lacking.
Preston Smith is as big as Justin Tuck was as a player. Smith reminds me of Tuck. Tuck used his hands very well, as does Smith. Smith could give guards and centers fits with his quickness.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Preston Smith is as big as Justin Tuck was as a player. Smith reminds me of Tuck. Tuck used his hands very well, as does Smith. Smith could give guards and centers fits with his quickness.
Yes, but if you take Preston out of the edge, then you are creating a hole there.

Just got a notice from ESPN that Golston is out for the season and Ionnadis is being called up from the PS.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Golston to IR, Ioannisis activated. Is this mean Golston is done for the season and possibly career with Washington?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

More Cravens on defense...with Golston out, like to see Lanier get some reps.

like I said last week...id put 5 on the LOS almost every down, do some zone blitzing. I hated we played coverage with Dak who picked it apart.

Also Trent Murphy really impressed me in the second half...he just earned more Playing time..

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #10
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Golston to IR, Ioannisis activated. Is this mean Golston is done for the season and possibly career with Washington?

Hard to see him returning when the D line is such an obvious weakness. I imagine we will see a real rebuild effort on the D line next year. Hood and Reyes were likely viewed as stop game measures at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Time for some of this young bucks to see action, Ionnidis and Lanier. They need to step it up.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
over the mountain
Playmaker

3rd and 8 at DAL 33
(13:59 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short middle to D.Bryant to WAS 49 for 18 yards (D.Bruton, D.Hall)

3rd and 9 at WSH 48
(11:57 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass deep middle to D.Bryant to WAS 31 for 17 yards (B.Breeland). Penalty on WAS-P.Smith, Defensive Offside, declined

3rd and 11 at WSH 22
(6:33 - 3rd) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass deep left to D.Bryant to WAS 6 for 16 yards (B.Breeland)

3rd and 11 at WSH 24
(6:04 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short left to C.Beasley ran ob at WAS 12 for 12 yards (J.Norman)
Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
mredskins
MVP

The problem with the defense is the indecision of Kurt Cousins.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The problem with the defense is the indecision of Kurt Cousins.
Who is Kurt Cousins?
Old 09-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

1. Compton as hard as he plays and as hard as he studies, he still isn't a good enough athlete to be a starter. To me he's just a teams player and a backup. Nothing wrong with that but he isn't a starter. Cravens isn't a ILB on running downs, no way. He needs to be on the field more though. Put him at SS on run downs, ILB on obvious passing downs.

2. Love it. We really don't have any other choice on obvious passing downs. Trent played one of his better games. Hopefully he can keep it up. But even still, we need to add another athlete here. Kerrigan is just average to me.

3. It seems Phillips beat out Fuller for the slot corner in pre season. He was abused yesterday by the #3 wr yesterday. He's in for a long ass game against the Giants.

4. I've already mentioned Joe Barry. A change needs to be made when the season is over. He stinks like rotten seafood.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote