Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs cheering on Redskins from afar

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Gibbs cheering on Redskins from afar

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

As the Redskins prepared to square off with the Pittsburgh Steelers on "Monday Night Football," their Hall of Fame former coach spent the day fishing in Texas. For Joe Gibbs, retirement from football may have finally taken.

He's still heavily involved with his NASCAR team, but his days of spending the night at the office are behind him. When we talked before the Steelers-Redskins game (Week 9), Gibbs sounded like any other fan (who happens to own three Super Bowl rings). He'd remained in Dallas for an extra day after a race at Texas Motor Speedway, and he'd made sure that one of his close friends had a leather sofa and plenty of soft drinks on hand.

Read More...

Advertisements
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Gibbs cheering on Redskins from afar

There may not be anyone in the world I respect more than Joe Gibbs. As a man, he is a great example of what we should strive to be. How fortunate we are to have had him as our coach. My admiration for him goes far beyond the football field. I wish him all the best in whatever he doe's with the rest of his life. It's good to know he still keeps up with what the team is doing. He is an honorable man in every sense of the word, and it was an honor to have him coach the Washington Redskins. I love coach Gibbs and could not even begin to tell him how much joy he has brought into my life. All my best memories of this team involve Joe Gibbs as coach.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

That was a good read. He's one of my heros in life. Father, grandfather, husband, football coach, leader of men, man of god, loyal friend. The world would be a better place if there were a few more Joe Gibbs in it. He built us up to prominence, and when he saw how we had fallen, he answered the call and came home to rebuild his once proud franchise. Zorn coaches this team, but make no mistake- we are what we are today because of Coach Joe.

Geez, I'm sentimental today.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
There may not be anyone in the world I respect more than Joe Gibbs. As a man, he is a great example of what we should strive to be. How fortunate we are to have had him as our coach. My admiration for him goes far beyond the football field. I wish him all the best in whatever he doe's with the rest of his life. It's good to know he still keeps up with what the team is doing. He is an honorable man in every sense of the word, and it was an honor to have him coach the Washington Redskins. I love coach Gibbs and could not even begin to tell him how much joy he has brought into my life. All my best memories of this team involve Joe Gibbs as coach.
Very well said. After all the memories I have from his first go around, I don't think I'll ever forget those final 4 games of last year.

On a side note I find it funny as hell that a Hall of Fame coach is now drawing up plays for 10 year olds. Those are some lucky ass kids!
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

This article shows what a great man JG. Boy, people who read this article after Lavar called JG a coward, must realize what an idiot he really is.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
THAT says it all for me!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Great post.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
johnerotten

Quote:
I love coach Gibbs and could not even begin to tell him how much joy he has brought into my life. All my best memories of this team involve Joe Gibbs as coach.
you said that for all redskins fans like me who remember the good ole days like yesterday.thanks to coach gibbs and company,my daddy got to see his beloved redskins win a superbowl and beat the cowboys strike team in dallas before he left this shitty world.
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
JLW428
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
THAT says it all for me!
Awesome post.
JLW428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Good read. Simply put HES JUST THE BEST, plain and simple!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
redskinjim
Special Teams

Quote:
i am very glad he came back for one more shot we have been in contention ever since.everone loves joe he is such a class act
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
He built us up to prominence, and when he saw how we had fallen, he answered the call and came home to rebuild his once proud franchise. Zorn coaches this team, but make no mistake- we are what we are today because of Coach Joe. .
Well said.
SkinDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
LOGAN
Camp Scrub

That's always good to hear. I really like Gibbs' character and he seems like a genuine good guy. He was the perfect coach for the end of the season in 2007 and I'm glad to see he's happy.

Hail to the Redskins
LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

where is lavar in this thread? ;-)
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
SkinDogg
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtydoubter View Post
where is lavar in this thread? ;-)
Don't know, but here's Clinton Portis.

Portis appeared on Michael Irvin's radio show and offered this (via the Sports Bog):

"I think Coach Gibbs one of the best men you could ever be in life," Portis said. "I think he's one of the best men as far as guidance, or the way he live his life, an example of a true champion. And you know, the other guy [added], I can't speak for why he would come out and say that. I don't know what's on his mind, I don't know what it is. But I think, and the guys around this team think Coach Gibbs was a great guy. I think he changed a lot of our lives as far as getting the onus [on] being a man and taking the lead and putting it on you. Making you tougher, making you understand right from wrong, trying to get guys to live for God and give their life to Christ, and I think that's the guidance you need.

"You know, a lot of people would say he didn't succeed in his return to D.C.," Portis continued, "but I think he put together this team that we have right now that's winning. So I think he did his part. You know, it just wasn't our time for us to win, but I think he left a great foundation for Coach Zorn and we're on the right path."

After some water and a Clif bar, Portis continued:

"I'm just saying LaVar, I don't know why he would come out and say that," he said. "If he's got mixed emotions about Coach Gibbs, that's him. I don't know. To me, to the guys that I know around here, I think Coach Gibbs meant a lot. Whatever happened between LaVar and Coach Gibbs, I don't know about."
SkinDogg is offline   Reply With Quote