Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-10-2023, 12:39 PM   #166
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
How much do we want to pay or give up - is the question. Personally, I do not want to give up picks to move up for a QB in the draft this year, and I don't want a repeat of what we did with Wentz (i.e. D Carr...et al). I just want to bring in a Veteran QB with NFL experience, at a reasonable backup QB price, so that there is some competition for Sam. He could very well win the job, and I hope he does - legitimately. Maybe that Veteran is Taylor. Based on his recent comments, he would be happy being the backup here. I think that is best case scenario (if Scott Turner stays as OC) rather than bringing in a Veteran who has to learn this system.

That is best case scenario too imo. Problem is i have zero faith in Rons ability to evaluate anyone. Even people who have been here. I also have zero faith in Turner being able to put Sam, Taylor, or anyone else in an optimum position to succeed.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-10-2023, 12:53 PM   #167
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
How much do we want to pay or give up - is the question. Personally, I do not want to give up picks to move up for a QB in the draft this year, and I don't want a repeat of what we did with Wentz (i.e. D Carr...et al). I just want to bring in a Veteran QB with NFL experience, at a reasonable backup QB price, so that there is some competition for Sam. He could very well win the job, and I hope he does - legitimately. Maybe that Veteran is Taylor. Based on his recent comments, he would be happy being the backup here. I think that is best case scenario (if Scott Turner stays as OC) rather than bringing in a Veteran who has to learn this system.
First thing we gotta know, is Scott Turner here next year? If so, offer Henike the 4.5 per back up QB money and explain the vision is he will be the primary back up. But know if they find a QB they like in the draft, they will take him.

If Scott Turner is gone…then Henike should be too. The value in TH was he knew the Turner system inside/out. From what I heard Turner offense is pretty complicated. Depending on new OC, that should indicate which veteran QB to bring in.

(Please let it be Nathaniel Hackett and let the QB be AR)

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #168
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
As a retired QB, and by retired I mean not good enough to ever sniff pro-ball lol, I can attest that the NCAAF and NFL footballs are completely different.

I preferred the college football myself. But I threw that one way more. I just had a NFL ball as a personal football, never had to use it in a game.
I had a legit NFL ball from that Bengals bust of a QB, taken like 1st or 2nd overall like 20 years ago .... its was amazing. Felt totally different, like a softer material and you could sling and spin it easier than store bought NFL balls

Lamar Jackson had issues changing to NFL balls and there was a good bit of articles/talk about that
Old 01-10-2023, 02:28 PM   #169
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

For all the shit we have given Turner, including myself. He did one thing right, the team dominated the time of possession (#1 overall) Turner’s problem is that he calls the wrong plays at the wrong time and puts the wrong personnel or tries to get cute. If he can fix those issues, things could be different. The question is, can he?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:09 PM   #170
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
For all the shit we have given Turner, including myself. He did one thing right, the team dominated the time of possession (#1 overall) Turner’s problem is that he calls the wrong plays at the wrong time and puts the wrong personnel or tries to get cute. If he can fix those issues, things could be different. The question is, can he?
I thought Howell's first TD was a great play. Terry over the middle with a LB cover. It was an easy first read and Howell did a good job of looking at where Terry would be instead of following the receiver.

The play that Scott loves that drives me nuts in the handoff from shot gun. He did that on first and goal before the int. It is so stupid, in short yardage situations the number one indicator of running play success is RB velocity at handoff. How do you slow down velocity? By decreasing the distance between QB and RB by putting him in shotgun. Scott loves it (he is not alone but I rarely see it work).
Old 01-10-2023, 03:58 PM   #171
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I think that is probably going to prove to be true, and obviously that is the best case scenario for this team. I am just not willing to draw that conclusion after seeing him throw 19 passes and run 5 times, and the Coaching staff shouldn't be either.
I don't think we should sit still with Howell and just sign some random UDFA's or anything.

Add a solid vet and mid-round pick to the room. I think those 3 guys would be fine.

Starter = Howell
Back-up = Veteran
Developmental guy = Mid-round pick
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #172
MTK
\m/

My biggest takeaway from Howell's game is the moment wasn't too big for him and he didn't shit his pants. The moment never seemed too big for Haskins either so who knows. I still think you have to have QB at the top of the offseason wishlist.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #173
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My biggest takeaway from Howell's game is the moment wasn't too big for him and he didn't shit his pants. The moment never seemed too big for Haskins either so who knows. I still think you have to have QB at the top of the offseason wishlist.
I believe he can be a starter next yr but I agree with getting someone else too. Heinicke can stay as a 3rd
Old 01-11-2023, 08:50 AM   #174
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Haskins didn’t use his wheels like Howell. The best thing about Howell is he made quick decisions about when to run for the sticks or throw it. That is so key. I hope Taylor comes back. Would be great competition for Sam, and Taylor seems to embrace being a backup.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:15 AM   #175
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I believe he can be a starter next yr but I agree with getting someone else too. Heinicke can stay as a 3rd
They cant bring Heinicke back because the minute the starter starts playing bad the fans will start chanting for Heinicke.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:23 AM   #176
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Haskins didn’t use his wheels like Howell. The best thing about Howell is he made quick decisions about when to run for the sticks or throw it. That is so key. I hope Taylor comes back. Would be great competition for Sam, and Taylor seems to embrace being a backup.
When i was watching Howell play; one thing really stuck out to me, he knew how to slide.

If fucking RG3 ever knew how/when to slide it would have saved him.

Remember even Bryce Harper tried to teach RG3 to slide?

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/302112
Old 01-11-2023, 09:25 AM   #177
MTK
\m/

With Turner out I doubt Heinicke returns.

One of TH's biggest assets was his knowledge of the ST offense, now that's gone.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:33 AM   #178
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

One of TH's biggest assets was his knowledge of the ST offense, now that's gone.
Good point
Old 01-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #179
mredskins
MVP

Quote:

but but but what about drinks beers with his boys at Cap games and smashing the cans on his head, I mean that will be missed.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:19 AM   #180
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Good perspective.

I came away thinking we have enough in Howell to where I think I'd avoid trading major assets to come up with a QB. We try to get who we can in FA or the draft, but if we don't come up with a homerun that doesn't mean we should trade three first round picks. Howell's promising enough that at least we don't have to do that.