Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Portis and Cooley Calling Out an Offensive Teammate?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #76
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Portis and Cooley Calling Out an Offensive Teammate?

The Giants gamble was: if they took away Moss with just one guy (Webster), they could use a safety on Kelly and prevent him from making a play beyond 15 yards. But where they went wrong is that they couldn't keep Randle El from beating them, so the fact that they took away Kelly became irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Advertisements
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #77
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You mean the SD Chargers that were 8-8 last year, and had one of the worst defenses and whose offense played 6 games against 3 teams whose defenses ranked in the bottom 10 last year. The ones who under Marty were 14-2, and now nearly lost to Oakland. Yeah, lets here it for Norv.

Your right. Our offense is way better than San Diegos. They were 10th in the league on a down year. We were ranked 20th and could hardly score. I am only talking about offense. Norv specialty is offense not defense. You can get a defensive coordinator. OH we had Marty too. Thanks for making my point again.

We can never have things straight across the board. Player, Coaches, FO.

One or two or all are always off somehow.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #78
mike340
Special Teams

Putting myself in Moss's shoes:

I'm running a route. The QB is running towards the line of scrimmage and won't throw the ball before crossing the line of scrimmage. I
1) Run towards the line of scrimmage to give him a target to throw to, or
2) Cut off my run hoping to keep the defenders out of the area where the QB will run.

I didn't record the game, so can someone who did tell me if this is a possible scenario?
mike340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #79
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Your right. Our offense is way better than San Diegos. They were 10th in the league on a down year. We were ranked 20th and could hardly score. I am only talking about offense. Norv specialty is offense not defense. You can get a defensive coordinator. OH we had Marty too. Thanks for making my point again.

We can never have things straight across the board. Player, Coaches, FO.

One or two or all are always off somehow.
But you are comparing an offense that was playing against three of the worst defenses in the league. Lets see how ours does when we play the AFC West. It may not be stellar, but San Diego's was again an 8-8 team in the AFC West.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #80
GusFrerotte

Hell Yeah!!!!!! CP and Cooley are the only Pro Bowler caliber guys we have on offense and are always true gamers since day one. Fellas better listen to them too!!! If this crap keeps up we will lose both next time they are up for contract renewal. At some point soon CP and CC are going to want to go out with a ring. Just think Barry Sanders. I agree put in Marko in for Moss more often, etc.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #81
44Deezel
The Starter

I took it to mean that in order for their Offense to work at least a little everything must be absolutely be perfect on every play or all hell breaks loose. Because on the other 27 Offenses that were better than them last year nobody EVER, EVER makes a mistake.

And Portis is delusional if he thinks they were a play or two away from winning that game. They got punked. EOS.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #82
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Hell Yeah!!!!!! CP and Cooley are the only Pro Bowler caliber guys we have on offense and are always true gamers since day one. Fellas better listen to them too!!! If this crap keeps up we will lose both next time they are up for contract renewal. At some point soon CP and CC are going to want to go out with a ring. Just think Barry Sanders. I agree put in Marko in for Moss more often, etc.
Moss, Portis, Cooley, Samuels, Sellers. Plenty of pro-bowl caliber talent to be effective. There's no reason for them to be as shitty as they are.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #83
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
But you are comparing an offense that was playing against three of the worst defenses in the league. Lets see how ours does when we play the AFC West. It may not be stellar, but San Diego's was again an 8-8 team in the AFC West.
Because we totally lit up the Rams, Lions and Bengals last year. If the Skins were in the AFC West, they would be the Patriots on Offense and Campbell would throw 35 TDs. Get off the pipe.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #84
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The Giants gamble was: if they took away Moss with just one guy (Webster), they could use a safety on Kelly and prevent him from making a play beyond 15 yards. But where they went wrong is that they couldn't keep Randle El from beating them, so the fact that they took away Kelly became irrelevant in the grand scheme.
Good Offenses don't let Defenses take their play-makers out of the game. That's just another pathetic excuse by a pathetic Offense. You think Santana gets any more attention that Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Larry F, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne or just about every other #1 receiver in the league? And yes, those teams have other weapons, but we have 5 players on Offense that have played in the pro-bowl - Sellers, Samuels, Cooley, Portis, Moss. Plenty of options and not a valid reason for averaging 16 points a game over the last 17 games.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #85
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Agreed. Moss has made great play for us. But he has to do that allof the time. Even if he can't make plays all the time. He still has to keep his mind in the game. One that play I woulnd't fault him totally. But in football. I fyou can't catch the ball. You make sure no one else does. If he had a made a strogner play on the ball or even touched dude he wouldn't have gotten his feet down. because he parely did. It was a good defenseive play. But like I said this isn't the first time I've seen Moss do this. I have seen him pout on the field. ON the post game interview. He was in the locker room with his head down. ARE and Cooley had career high catches last year. Moss didn't have a very productive year and ARE had a good game besides that bone head play at the beginning of the game.

I love Moss. But he does act like a diva sometimes and as the number 1 receiver. You can't take plays off. I htink his skill is unquestionable. But his mental game is brittle. I honestly think Webster was messing with his head and took him out the game. Before and after the fight.
I don't see how anyone can blame Moss on that play. He had to come to a complete stop in order keep both feet in bounds while his weight was carrying him out of bounds. The DB was trailing, so he had the advantage of getting there just as the ball did. If you're standing still and are off-balance because you're leaning towards one direction and another dude comes running full speed into you, you're going to get knocked back. Nothing he could do there. Bad throw, good Defensive play. Nothing else.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #86
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Good Offenses don't let Defenses take their play-makers out of the game. That's just another pathetic excuse by a pathetic Offense. You think Santana gets any more attention that Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Larry F, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne or just about every other #1 receiver in the league? And yes, those teams have other weapons, but we have 5 players on Offense that have played in the pro-bowl - Sellers, Samuels, Cooley, Portis, Moss. Plenty of options and not a valid reason for averaging 16 points a game over the last 17 games.
Exactly. I totoally agree. Its not about the conference or the players (as far as this discussion goes). Its about philosophy and the team takes on the character of their coaches. Its also about scheme. San Diego at one point didn't have good receivers. Before they got Vincent Jackson or the other WR. But they used what they had. LT and Gates. They still lit it up. We have Moss, Portis and Cooley and a lot of "potential" in the young WRs.

Going back to one year. When Sellers had all those catches for touchdowns. How many passes has he caught since Zorn has been here? Does Zorn even go back and try to look at some of the old tapes of what works and doesn't work with our personnel that has been here and then adapt and run shcemes that can work for the newer players. I think he jsut came in and said I am the man and this is how I am going to do it. Instead of being fleixible. But somethign tells me the talk he had with Gibbs will finally click in his head. I am sure Gibbs gave him some good advice regardless of how he did his second time around. Gibbs knows the evaluate players and put them in a position to win.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #87
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
I don't see how anyone can blame Moss on that play. He had to come to a complete stop in order keep both feet in bounds while his weight was carrying him out of bounds. The DB was trailing, so he had the advantage of getting there just as the ball did. If you're standing still and are off-balance because you're leaning towards one direction and another dude comes running full speed into you, you're going to get knocked back. Nothing he could do there. Bad throw, good Defensive play. Nothing else.
Not blaming him for the interception. Blaming him for not trying to make a stronger drive at the ball or hitting the CB so that he doesn't make that catch. Was an excelelnt play by Webster. But he made a tip toe grab on the side line. If you look at the video -- the slightest nudge would have knocked him out of bounds. But the INT was all on JC.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #88
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Exactly. I totoally agree. Its not about the conference or the players (as far as this discussion goes). Its about philosophy and the team takes on the character of their coaches. Its also about scheme. San Diego at one point didn't have good receivers. Before they got Vincent Jackson or the other WR. But they used what they had. LT and Gates. They still lit it up. We have Moss, Portis and Cooley and a lot of "potential" in the young WRs.

Going back to one year. When Sellers had all those catches for touchdowns. How many passes has he caught since Zorn has been here? Does Zorn even go back and try to look at some of the old tapes of what works and doesn't work with our personnel that has been here and then adapt and run shcemes that can work for the newer players. I think he jsut came in and said I am the man and this is how I am going to do it. Instead of being fleixible. But somethign tells me the talk he had with Gibbs will finally click in his head. I am sure Gibbs gave him some good advice regardless of how he did his second time around. Gibbs knows the evaluate players and put them in a position to win.
And who were Brady's receivers when he won those 3 Super Bowls? I can only name the future hall of famer, Deion Branch
Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #89
roth74va
Special Teams

Wow Deez you could just start your own thread and argue with yourself, lol.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #90
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike340 View Post
Putting myself in Moss's shoes:

I'm running a route. The QB is running towards the line of scrimmage and won't throw the ball before crossing the line of scrimmage. I
1) Run towards the line of scrimmage to give him a target to throw to, or
2) Cut off my run hoping to keep the defenders out of the area where the QB will run.

I didn't record the game, so can someone who did tell me if this is a possible scenario?
The INT is on Moss not so much for what he did before the pass but what he did once the football left Jason's arm. Moss did nothing to block out the DB and therefor 1.) make a better play on the ball 2.) minimize the chance the defender could get his hands on the ball. I rewatched the play a few times and Moss clearly could denied the INT...it's another instance where he gave up IMO.

Generally speaking though none of our WR corp (with the possible exception of Devin) use their body effectively block their DB from breaking up the pass. I mean when i watch other offenses, especially the potent ones, their WRs do an excellent job of positioning their body to again 1) make the best possible play on the ball 2.) minimize the chance the DB could get his hands on the ball. It eerily similar to what I think I see in college ball basically every game...WRs not yet skilled enough to do what a pro does. I think our WRs aren't there because there position coach hasn't progressed beyond the college level of WR play. I think it also begins to explain why Hixon has never been able to develop a WR at the professional level.