Warpath Myth vs. Reality

Playbook

Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Warpath Myth vs. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I am just tired of the pretend mods, who have to say in every thread "is this thread material" , "this thread should be closed", "stupid thread", etc...

Too many pretend cops. It gets old.
Not enough thread cops, in my opinion. Why should the mods have to do all the work? If the members want a board that includes only threads that add value in terms of knowledgeable and intelligent discussion, then they should take it upon themselves to criticize threads that don't meet those criteria.

Anyway, I have not come to debate the merits of policing the boards. The bottom line is the laws of the land are laid out in the forum guidelines. That's the way it is and it ain't going to change.

Advertisements
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I am just tired of the pretend mods, who have to say in every thread "is this thread material" , "this thread should be closed", "stupid thread", etc...

Well, I think for the most part they mean well and are just trying to help the site.

However, it would probably be best for people to PM a moderator when they have a concern about a thread and let the mods decide what to do.

And Schneed, I hear your point but the problem is that too often "criticizing a thread" causes more problems because it becomes personal.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

One of my problems lately with this site is that it has devolved into place where everyone justs argues. Just about every decent thread starts off on point with decent back and forth and next thing you know it is 2 or 3 people dominating the thread with their disagreement. I don't say this to whine but I agree that there are too many people around here who either pick fights or are simply looking for disagreement. We don't all have to "drink the kool-aid" but what ever happened to stating an opinion and then letting it speak for itself? Instead of trying to harangue people it believeing it. So many of the arguments center around philisophical gaps that will never change too. It justs seems there are a lot of posters who need to learn to say what they think and then shut up about it. Stop hammering your points all over the place and picking fights.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Bottom line, people need to grow the f up.
Bottom line, you sure start a heck of a lot of threads. But they are quality threads. I'm thinking of maybe having you start a thread teaching people how to start a thread. Seriously, your threads are well thought out and spark very good discussions (by those that are actually here to have good discussions)

I'm completely serious. You start a 12thMan's Guide to a Proper Thread and I'll sticky it
Old 11-13-2007, 11:31 PM   #20
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Bottom line, you sure start a heck of a lot of threads. But they are quality threads. I'm thinking of maybe having you start a thread teaching people how to start a thread. Seriously, your threads are well thought out and spark very good discussions (by those that are actually here to have good discussions)

I'm completely serious. You start a 12thMan's Guide to a Proper Thread and I'll sticky it
I 100% concur. 12ths threads are generally the best around here. Where's the kool-aid?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #21
Lady Brave
The Starter

You know what I wish? I wish we had a practice squad forum. Put people in there until they've proven they can cut it in the locker room. I know it won't happen, but it's nice dream anyway.
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
You know what I wish? I wish we had a practice squad forum. Put people in there until they've proven they can cut it in the locker room. I know it won't happen, but it's nice dream anyway.
That's a pretty awesome idea
Old 11-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #23
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

The main problem, IMO is the influx of new members. We have talked about this before with the mods, but with new posters, come those same old posts that piss you off. Realistically speaking, most new members aren't too forum savvy, and pretty much do all the no-no's, like starting BS threads, getting into arguments, repeating the same stuff, etc. I can use myself as an example. I use to post a hell of a lot, and it was meaningless. I also got into arguments with Grim and others for no damn reason.

It took time, but I changed and I try to put more effort into my posts and not overreact after games. But "noobs" will continue to do so. So I really think the mods have a few options.
1) Restrict/stop new membership(not ideal)
2) Teach new members via sticky threads, several polite requests, etc.
3) Teach new members via temporary non-thread starting periods(already a measure)
4)Ban people more often.
5)Or just deal with it.

I think the ideal fall between options 2-4, but we also need to face the reality of point 5. New members are going to be there, and unless you have the time and effort to call each of them out, etc we have to deal with it to an extent. I do think the mods have done a decent job of this, I only suggest to the "regulars" to calm down because the problem is inevitable. This is all just my opinion though.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:19 AM   #24
chrisl4064

Quote:

im actually going to have to agree with this. there is this feeling i get that if a poster has over one thousand threads they are untouchable. just the other day i was called a "douche bag" on a forum by a member with over a thousand posts. in that same thread 5 posts later or something like that, someone got banned for saying that to a moderator, and in less context. not a big deal, just pointing out that i feel as though some people, mostly the 1,000+ posters dont get reprimanded for anything and pretty much say whatever they want, examples below...

- Does this deserve its own thread???
-
-:frusty:

on the other hand i am a realist and understand that in no way this will stop, sometimes i even find it comical and amusing, and who knows, if it doesnt stop, i may join in myself.... get my post count real high!
chrisl4064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:25 AM   #25
MTRedskinsFan

I just don't understand the Kool-Aid thing. I know what it means but where the hell did it come from?
MTRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #26
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

It's been tough all over in the redskins nation--who among you has not found yourself snapping at all kinds of things that usually do not bother you this season, especially after the philly fiasco? I know I have.

We've all just got to remember that other posters are just fans, often as pissed off about the loss or whatever as you are. If you find yourself typing some "STFU" type response, hold off on hitting the post button for a sec, and think about rephrasing. It's not such a big deal.

And if you're going to start a thread, look for repeats, and ask yourself if what you've got to say is really thread-worthy, or something that should just be a post on one of the many open threads. Again, not that hard.

The mods don't "work here." They are not the cops or principals or teachers. They're just skins fans trying to make this board work. Sometimes I think folks forget that in the heat of the moment, and act like they're at the complaint counter of a big company. It's not like that, people. They're just trying to make this place work, which is good, because I sure don't have the time to maintain or keep control of this site. But I sure am glad someone does!!!

Thanks Matty and all the mods. These are tough times, but there's no reason to turn on ourselves. THINK BEFORE YOU POST!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 AM   #27
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl4064 View Post
im actually going to have to agree with this. there is this feeling i get that if a poster has over one thousand threads they are untouchable. just the other day i was called a "douche bag" on a forum by a member with over a thousand posts. in that same thread 5 posts later or something like that, someone got banned for saying that to a moderator, and in less context. not a big deal, just pointing out that i feel as though some people, mostly the 1,000+ posters dont get reprimanded for anything and pretty much say whatever they want, examples below...

- Does this deserve its own thread???
-
-:frusty:

on the other hand i am a realist and understand that in no way this will stop, sometimes i even find it comical and amusing, and who knows, if it doesnt stop, i may join in myself.... get my post count real high!
Well, post counts aren't a deciding factor between getting banned/reprimanded or not. But certainly, in most cases, someone who has reached a 1,000+ post count has earned the respect and trust of mods and other members to have lasted as long.

I did not see that post that was directed at you and I apologize for that. And I'm guessing no other mod did either. Certainly had we seen it we would have addressed it to the offending party (at least privately). Unfortunately we do miss things from time to time.

As to the follow up post made to a moderator. I suspect you're talking about the one made to me. Understand that it had nothing to do with the fact that it was addressed to me personally. It was a growing issue with that particular person about his lack of respect and understanding for the site. Some people are not redeemable and he was one.

Just keep in mind that reprimands are often/usually handled privately between the mods and the offenders. So, while in this case I think you're right we missed it, don't assume that we let things slide.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #28
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRedskinsFan View Post
I just don't understand the Kool-Aid thing. I know what it means but where the hell did it come from?
Not to ruin your night but: Jonestown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #29
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

no comment! don't want to get banned
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #30
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well, post counts aren't a deciding factor between getting banned/reprimanded or not. But certainly, in most cases, someone who has reached a 1,000+ post count has earned the respect and trust of mods and other members to have lasted as long.

I did not see that post that was directed at you and I apologize for that. And I'm guessing no other mod did either. Certainly had we seen it we would have addressed it to the offending party (at least privately). Unfortunately we do miss things from time to time.

As to the follow up post made to a moderator. I suspect you're talking about the one made to me. Understand that it had nothing to do with the fact that it was addressed to me personally. It was a growing issue with that particular person about his lack of respect and understanding for the site. Some people are not redeemable and he was one.

Just keep in mind that reprimands are often/usually handled privately between the mods and the offenders. So, while in this case I think you're right we missed it, don't assume that we let things slide.
I don't want to speak out of turn but I am pretty sure that bans almosts always come after a consistent level of belligerence and/or inappropriate behavior and rarely happen after one incident. Whether the offender has a 1000 posts or not. One of the Mods can confirm that but from my perspectvie the mods do a good job of allowing freedom while also maintaining control.