Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Expect Andre Carter to Pressure Romo

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #16
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Expect Andre Carter to Pressure Romo

Carter has some talent, I think we've all seen it, but no one can do it by themselves. If the DL sucks, he will look poorly too. If the DL steps up a little, then Carter will look better.
As far as Carter getting a sack and some hurries....he NEEDS to. We need him to step up. I just don't see it.
ps- Romo is overrated.

Advertisements
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #17
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
As far as Carter getting a sack and some hurries....he NEEDS to. We need him to step up. I just don't see it.
ps- Romo is overrated.
We don't need Carter to step up, we need to be able to prevent QBs from doing so.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
dmek25
MVP

it seems to me carter lets himself get engaaged with the bigger offensive lineman. then the battle is over. i have rarely seen him try to use the speed rush.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
dall-assblows
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Kinda like your 1st round pick Bobby Carpenter. How's he doing? What about Fabini? I heard he's really shored up your O-line about as much as Marcellus Wiley helped out your Dline.
get 'em
Old 11-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #20
dall-assblows
The Starter

it really looks like romo has just been lucky up to this point, IMO
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Carter could get a sack. Hell anyone can get one frickin sack. How about consistency and production? They should play Wynn on run downs and Carter on pass. That's making the best out of a bad situation. Who has a worse right side in the NFL than the Skins? Carter and Holdman = a lot of rushing yards for the other team.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #22
MTK
\m/

Great post SGG.

With no push up the middle QBs can easily step up and deliver. We need that push up the gut to prevent QBs from being able to do that and only then will the sacks come from the outside rush of Carter.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #23
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
We don't need Carter to step up, we need to be able to prevent QBs from doing so.
Yeah, which means we need our d-line to step up to stop them from stepping up. It all starts with pressure. Any QB in the league can pick any team apart when they have all day to throw it.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #24
The Zimmermans
Impact Rookie

It would be nice if our linebackers could cover tight ends, even with pressure, romo will just be able to dump off to whitten, unless we learn to cover.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #25
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Wow. So that's it? Andre Carter officially gets a pass because the defensive tackles aren't getting pressure?

What happened to the notion that Carter was supposed to provide some pressure of his own?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #26
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Great post SGG.

With no push up the middle QBs can easily step up and deliver. We need that push up the gut to prevent QBs from being able to do that and only then will the sacks come from the outside rush of Carter.
Sorry. I'm not buying it. The only thing preventing Carter from getting sacks is Carter himself. It's not Cornelius Griffin's fault that Andre can't get around the offensive tackle. It's not Joe Salave'a's fault that Carter can't get the edge on his opponent and at the very least hurry the quarterback into a bad throw.

Defensive ends are supposed to be effective whether the D-tackles are getting penetration or not.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #27
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
So what you're saying is that when I was clammoring for more DT depth in the offseason, I wasn't talking out of my ass?

And to think I tried so hard...

Seriously though, Montgomery and Golston have played well for rookies. But in this defense, well is not good enough. You need to manhandle the O-line.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #28
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Sorry. I'm not buying it. The only thing preventing Carter from getting sacks is Carter himself. It's not Cornelius Griffin's fault that Andre can't get around the offensive tackle. It's not Joe Salave'a's fault that Carter can't get the edge on his opponent and at the very least hurry the quarterback into a bad throw.

Defensive ends are supposed to be effective whether the D-tackles are getting penetration or not.
If this was true, guys like Jevon Kearse wouldn't disappear when moving from team to team, and guys like Derrick Burgess wouldn't emerge after leaving a team.

Wow, I just took two shots at the Eagles without even trying.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #29
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:

It's nice to say that Carter should be effective whether the D-tackles are getting penetration or not. In my mind however, that is simply unrealistic. Teams pay a high premium for game-changing defensive ends (i.e. Dwight Freeney). While we paid Carter $30 million, we didn't pay him anywhere near what Dwight Freeney is going to get and we paid him less than half of what Jevon Kearse actually got. So, to expect Carter to be a monster even when other D-linemen aren't doing anything is simply unrealistic.

And based on my review of game-tape, Andre Carter is beating OTs on the edge. When he gets around the edge, however, the QBs aren't where they would be if the DTs were getting pressure. Perhaps your seeing something different and, if so, maybe you are right. I just haven't seen the DTs getting any inside pressure.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #30
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Wow. So that's it? Andre Carter officially gets a pass because the defensive tackles aren't getting pressure?

What happened to the notion that Carter was supposed to provide some pressure of his own?
I think that a defensive end's performance and production is in fact, to a large extent, contingent upon the performance of the DTs. I think that is especially true when you are talking about a speed-rushing end who is trying to beat OTs around the edge.

I guess we'll have to see in the coming weeks. Hopefully, Griffin and Salave'a start getting inside pressure. If so, I'm confident Carter's production will increase. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and you'll be proven right.