Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Dirty Birds Preview

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Dirty Birds Preview

Atlanta comes in really banged up, pretty much like we were all last season. Matt Ryan has been very good and we all know about Julio and Ridley. That offense is still very good but they have no run game right now with Freeman out. The key to Ryan has always been pressure, and we do that really well.

On defense they are bad on all 3 areas giving up 30 PPG and ranking 30th in yards.

It could be a upset but I don't see this team losing while this hot.

Skins 26
Falcons 21

Advertisements
Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Dirty Birds Preview

Both Atlanta's starting Guards are out for the season....that's gonna be a problem for them

Both Atlanta's starting, super talented Safeties are out for the season and their secondary has been getting lit up because of it.

Matt Ryan is on fucking fire...and their receiver group is the most talented we've seen all year. TE is solid and they got some RB that can catch too.

Glad we got Ha-Ha...we will need him.

Win in the trenches and run the ball to keep Matty Ice on the sideline. We've stymied Aaron Rodgers that way...I think the game could play out similar.

Even though the Falcons are coming off bye, they haven't played well on the road. But the sample size isn't great...they've only played twice on the road.

If there was ever a time to score big plays in the passing game, its this one. Falcons simply cant cover. We should win...too much pass rush. Their receivers are too talented not to get a couple scores:

Skins 35
Falcons 23

Alex coming out party...(fingers crossed)

Last edited by Chico23231; 10-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Atlanta comes in really banged up, pretty much like we were all last season. Matt Ryan has been very good and we all know about Julio and Ridley. That offense is still very good but they have no run game right now with Freeman out. The key to Ryan has always been pressure, and we do that really well.

On defense they are bad on all 3 areas giving up 30 PPG and ranking 30th in yards.

It could be a upset but I don't see this team losing while this hot.

Skins 26
Falcons 21
We definitely have some momentum at this point.

The past 3 weeks we've won with our smash mouth style of football, which should be effective against Atlanta's defense. However, I think to win this one we'll need a little bit more from the passing game. If Alex can throw a couple scores to go along with another strong day from AP we should be in good position.

I just don't think 20 points will win this one. Gonna need at least 24, closer to 30.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
coffee
Camp Scrub

You guys remember our deal, right?

You're up a game and a half above your nearest division opponent and my Panthers are personally responsible for giving you one full game of that (by gift wrapping you a "W" while handing each of your rivals an "L")

In return, so far you've screwed the pooch losing to NO on top of handing us a loss. So, we put you on top in your division and you knocked us to 2nd in ours.
But you can redeem yourself in my eyes if you beat the Falcons and Bucs. You promised!
coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
coffee
Camp Scrub

I think you actually have the perfect setup to beat ATL.

As you know, Matt Ryan is putting up huge numbers, but struggling to make up for RB Freeman being out plus devastating injuries on D.

That being the case, likely the best attack is going to be slow steady drives on offense to keep away from ATL trying to turn it into a shootout. Alex Smith is perfect for that, especially combined with AP's production. ATL's weak D should make that even more feasible.

I kinda doubt that Ha Ha will be ready to contribute a bunch yet. If so, that's a shame. That would be ideal against the Falcons, but you know they're close to one dimensional, especially if they get behind, so pressure on Ryan may help them have some short, unsuccessful drives and keep him on the bench most of the game.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/...0TicWW2rfEC3N/
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:12 PM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
I think you actually have the perfect setup to beat ATL.

As you know, Matt Ryan is putting up huge numbers, but struggling to make up for RB Freeman being out plus devastating injuries on D.

That being the case, likely the best attack is going to be slow steady drives on offense to keep away from ATL trying to turn it into a shootout. Alex Smith is perfect for that, especially combined with AP's production. ATL's weak D should make that even more feasible.

I kinda doubt that Ha Ha will be ready to contribute a bunch yet. If so, that's a shame. That would be ideal against the Falcons, but you know they're close to one dimensional, especially if they get behind, so pressure on Ryan may help them have some short, unsuccessful drives and keep him on the bench most of the game.
The main problem is that their 1 dimension is the one giving us fits this year, that is heavy passing teams. Teams that have a bellcow RB we can focus our front 5 on stopping that, but Preston and RK haven't been consistent adding pressure to prevent Ryan's type of passing game. Hopefully Dix comes and plays a freewheeling back end safety, letting our CBs cover without fear.

This is going to be a hard game for the Skins to pull off a W, but hope we do - for Carolina's sake of course!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I think the standard formula for winning this year will be hard pressed to succeed in this one. At the same time, I don't think getting into a shoot-out is to our benefit either. Stick with the one that got you here, but maybe buy her a new dress. Smith does not need a "coming out" party; he just needs to be able to consistently move the ball and the sticks through the air. Rather than a successful "bombs away" approach from Smith, I want to see him consistently complete passes in the 8-15 yard range and succeed in the RZ.

This is a different Skins team from past years, and, as fans, we need to adjust our understanding of what winning football looks like. If we can play from the front, control the ball, avoid TO's, and score TD's on the clock consuming drives, we win - I'd don't care who the opponent is (We did not do any of these these things in either of our two losses). Patience will be the name of the game, if we can get to a point where our D-Line can just pass-rush, I feel the game is ours. However, that's a lot of things to go right.

If our tackles are just pushing the pocket back into Ryan's face, it will have a BIG impact on his game. Ryan is not mobile. If we can keep the score low and close through half-time, I suspect they will be getting a little more desperate. If the Skins work hard and are all business on game day, I really like our chances - even without a prolific passing attack.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Back2RFK
Special Teams

Little history on how they got the name Dirty Birds.

In September 1998, the Falcons came storming out of the gates and never looked back. Head Coach Dan Reeves lead the ’98 Falcons to a 14-2 record, a first place seat in the NFC West, and a Super Bowl appearance.

This unexpected, massive, franchise-best season came on the shoulders of Jamal Anderson. The young running back banged pads, lowered his shoulders, danced down the sidelines, and scored like a monster. Anderson tallied 1,846 yards and 14 touchdowns running the ball for Atlanta, earning Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors.

But it was Anderson did in the end zone after he scored that made him a national sensation. He popularized a touchdown celebration called, you guessed it, the Dirty Bird. His arms would flap up and down wildly like wings and he would bounce with the roaring crowd as his teammates rallied around him. The name of the dance would stick like glue to Anderson and the entire team.

This is the week we get the ball moving through the air to help out AP. The only issue is if we can slow down the Falcons air game. I like what our D is doing and we do slow down their air attack.

Skins 28
Falcons 13
Back2RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2RFK View Post
Little history on how they got the name Dirty Birds.

In September 1998, the Falcons came storming out of the gates and never looked back. Head Coach Dan Reeves lead the ’98 Falcons to a 14-2 record, a first place seat in the NFC West, and a Super Bowl appearance.

This unexpected, massive, franchise-best season came on the shoulders of Jamal Anderson. The young running back banged pads, lowered his shoulders, danced down the sidelines, and scored like a monster. Anderson tallied 1,846 yards and 14 touchdowns running the ball for Atlanta, earning Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors.

But it was Anderson did in the end zone after he scored that made him a national sensation. He popularized a touchdown celebration called, you guessed it, the Dirty Bird. His arms would flap up and down wildly like wings and he would bounce with the roaring crowd as his teammates rallied around him. The name of the dance would stick like glue to Anderson and the entire team.

This is the week we get the ball moving through the air to help out AP. The only issue is if we can slow down the Falcons air game. I like what our D is doing and we do slow down their air attack.

Skins 28
Falcons 13
Yep they had a great run that season, and Anderson was really good for a couple years. Too bad they ran into Elway and TD
Old 10-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I think the standard formula for winning this year will be hard pressed to succeed in this one. At the same time, I don't think getting into a shoot-out is to our benefit either. Stick with the one that got you here, but maybe buy her a new dress. Smith does not need a "coming out" party; he just needs to be able to consistently move the ball and the sticks through the air. Rather than a successful "bombs away" approach from Smith, I want to see him consistently complete passes in the 8-15 yard range and succeed in the RZ.

This is a different Skins team from past years, and, as fans, we need to adjust our understanding of what winning football looks like. If we can play from the front, control the ball, avoid TO's, and score TD's on the clock consuming drives, we win - I'd don't care who the opponent is (We did not do any of these these things in either of our two losses). Patience will be the name of the game, if we can get to a point where our D-Line can just pass-rush, I feel the game is ours. However, that's a lot of things to go right.

If our tackles are just pushing the pocket back into Ryan's face, it will have a BIG impact on his game. Ryan is not mobile. If we can keep the score low and close through half-time, I suspect they will be getting a little more desperate. If the Skins work hard and are all business on game day, I really like our chances - even without a prolific passing attack.
As someone who has called for running the ball from day 1 and stopping the run...its a relief to finally see it. Both the losses we couldn't run the ball, we tried and it didn't happen.

Do you think Jay see this as winning football? I still see him as trying to go up with big plays, go conservative and win with defense. I think he fears playing from behind. I think Jay wants more balance in the offense.
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

C-D is wearing #20

Dunbar is back out there as well
Old 10-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #13
coffee
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The main problem is that their 1 dimension is the one giving us fits this year, that is heavy passing teams. Teams that have a bellcow RB we can focus our front 5 on stopping that, but Preston and RK haven't been consistent adding pressure to prevent Ryan's type of passing game. Hopefully Dix comes and plays a freewheeling back end safety, letting our CBs cover without fear.

I would think that's why Time of Possession would be critical. If you wear down their D with long drives (which seems very realistic between your QB, AP and their defensive injuries), they would actually be in a quandary. If they do their down-the-field quick scores, they put their weak worn out D back on the field too quickly. You would actually force them to need to slow it down some.

This is going to be a hard game for the Skins to pull off a W, but hope we do - for Carolina's sake of course!

Of course!
Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Saw some stat they said we've lost like 6 straight to them and haven't beat then since 2003. That needs to end just like Panthers. This is actually more absurd.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
Meks
Pro Bowl

speaking of jamaal anderson... dude was borderline unstoppable in madden 98 lol... or 2000 w.ever edition it was. Relative to friggin Bo Jackson or Christian Okoye in tecmo super bowl
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote