Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #541
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Yes , if he has a clean pocket through his progression and still gets sacked that's a negative grade on him. Clean pocket for us consist of if he can get to his 2nd read, if he's hit before that 2nd read it's not a negative grade just given a 0 for the play.
Is each play graded on a 1 to 10 based on certain criteria?

How did you go about getting this job? Not saying you're not qualified or anything, just pretty interesting we have a Warpather working for a major NFL grading/scouting company.

Advertisements
Old 12-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #542
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Is each play graded on a 1 to 10 based on certain criteria?

How did you go about getting this job? Not saying you're not qualified or anything, just pretty interesting we have a Warpather working for a major NFL grading/scouting company.
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...arterback-play

As for the job process you have a 6 month training process to go through, and that's if you pass their pre test. 90% Of my work is QB charting / Coverage grading , I played QB in HS and helped coach a my school afterwards before joining the army so I've always wanted to work in the industry. They usually have a hiring process in the Off/season if they have any slots available.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #543
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Yes , if he has a clean pocket through his progression and still gets sacked that's a negative grade on him. Clean pocket for us consist of if he can get to his 2nd read, if he's hit before that 2nd read it's not a negative grade just given a 0 for the play.
Does technique effect grades? If he throws off his back foot or side arms a pass when not under dress, does that matter? I am sure the grading systems have changed a lot in the 40 years that have passed since I played in High School and College. Proper technique was a big part of your grade where I came from, an O-lineman could pancake the dude he was run blocking, but if his head was on the wrong side of the defender and his foot work wasn't right he would get a 50 out of 100% for that play. The actual end result of the play was only half the grade. On the flip side you could have been the dude getting pancaked and still get a 50 if you did everything right other than getting over powered and knocked on your ass.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #544
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-how-pff...arterback-play

As for the job process you have a 6 month training process to go through, and that's if you pass their pre test. 90% Of my work is QB charting / Coverage grading , I played QB in HS and helped coach a my school afterwards before joining the army so I've always wanted to work in the industry. They usually have a hiring process in the Off/season if they have any slots available.
Were you any good or did you get to play QB because your dad was a wealthy businessman and bought the whole team nice new helmets? Over 40 years and I still hate that kid.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #545
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

PFF Is real big on the analytics of course, I'm actually more of the old school football and don't always agree with everything we put out there, for instance saying Duck Hodges is better than Josh Allen... I disagree but overall its a cool place to contribute too and I've met and been trained by some awesome coaches/players.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #546
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Were you any good or did you get to play QB because your dad was a wealthy businessman and bought the whole team nice new helmets? Over 40 years and I still hate that kid.
I was the backup mostly due to the kid u just mentioned lol, I wish I had money growing up. I played more basketball actually which is also a big passion of mine just not as big as our Skins for some crazy reason
Old 12-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #547
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Haskins Threat

Quote:
We don't look at stats while grading players, I can see how you would think its nonsense and fake but his grades are 17th in that span due to his QB Grades. Every throw is graded and say he has a game with 5 drops (he did) that doesn't hurt him but the completion % doesn't take that into consideration.

I do not give a rats ass if you guys grade him 17. Lol. What isn’t taken into consideration is making the right reads, or footwork / technique. Choosing when to run not pass. Etc. Not just pff but any grading system . Yes over the course of years the stats become a measurement of success overall, but in such a small handful of games i think pff is pretty meaningless.
And that is awesome Okie. Awesome gig. Good for you. Who is the spoiled rich kid you n Buffalo are referring to?
Old 12-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #548
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2019

DVOA and DYAR aren't the be all end all but I really like them because they account for more factors than most metrics and are 100% empirical.

AND both are adjusted for opponent.

They do not have a subjective component like QBR.

Haskins is dead last in both in DYAR by a huge margin and tied for last in DVOA with Josh Rosen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is pretty freakin awful. There are some terrible quarterbacks ranked ahead of him.
I don’t understand what it all means like you guys, but it appears he is not only dead last but dead last by a country mile.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #549
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
I was the backup mostly due to the kid u just mentioned lol, I wish I had money growing up. I played more basketball actually which is also a big passion of mine just not as big as our Skins for some crazy reason
I was also a QB in high school, very close to where Dh played in high school. My coach coached in Mo. County for a LONG time. I am no expert and don't watch film on the guy, but from the naked eye he just doesn't look the part at all. I have never seen a QB with off the charts raw talent throw the ball with as bad a footwork. It's crazy. When watching him on film is there anything that he does well? He really should have stayed in school.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #550
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
If he doesn't have a clean pocket because he slid his protection the wrong way; does Haskins get docked or does the hapless offensive lineman who appears to get beat and looks ridiculous?

What process do the PFF evaluators go through to determine scheme responsibility?

Haskins has been sacked 26 times in 160 attempts.

Keenum was sacked 12 times in 188 attempts.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...lays-attempted

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...g-plays-sacked

Maybe if somebody shared Haskins' PFF grades with the Oline they would have had a different reaction on the sidelines.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #551
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I do not give a rats ass if you guys grade him 17. Lol. What isn’t taken into consideration is making the right reads, or footwork / technique. Choosing when to run not pass. Etc. Not just pff but any grading system . Yes over the course of years the stats become a measurement of success overall, but in such a small handful of games i think pff is pretty meaningless.
And that is awesome Okie. Awesome gig. Good for you. Who is the spoiled rich kid you n Buffalo are referring to?
I think we are referring to different ones, just that a rich kid can get preferential treatment from a coach in High School if his parents have some influence over a program. My case was back in the 70's where I grew up in So Cal. Our QB sucked, he was our weak link. His dad bought our team a lot of new equipment so he was pretty much the QB for 3 years, no questions asked. I don't think he ever had a 100 yard passing game.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #552
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
If he doesn't have a clean pocket because he slid his protection the wrong way; does Haskins get docked or does the hapless offensive lineman who appears to get beat and looks ridiculous?

What process do the PFF evaluators go through to determine scheme responsibility?

Haskins has been sacked 26 times in 160 attempts.

Keenum was sacked 12 times in 188 attempts.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...lays-attempted

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/pla...g-plays-sacked

Maybe if somebody shared Haskins' PFF grades with the Oline they would have had a different reaction on the sidelines.
All great Questions, the OL is graded on a separate scale but by player basis not group grades. As for the blocking schemes I do not look at those, the OL/DL staff does all of that fun stuff so I couldn't give a good answer on that.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #553
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I think we are referring to different ones, just that a rich kid can get preferential treatment from a coach in High School if his parents have some influence over a program. My case was back in the 70's where I grew up in So Cal. Our QB sucked, he was our weak link. His dad bought our team a lot of new equipment so he was pretty much the QB for 3 years, no questions asked. I don't think he ever had a 100 yard passing game.
Yeah not referring to one kid specifically, I played HS ball in Norman Ok where we get a ton of OU coaches kids playing football.. Very political
Old 12-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #554
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I was also a QB in high school, very close to where Dh played in high school. My coach coached in Mo. County for a LONG time. I am no expert and don't watch film on the guy, but from the naked eye he just doesn't look the part at all. I have never seen a QB with off the charts raw talent throw the ball with as bad a footwork. It's crazy. When watching him on film is there anything that he does well? He really should have stayed in school.
Agree and the crazy part is his personal QB coach is Quincy Avery who is regarded as the best in the country. So not sure what's going on with him.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #555
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
No doubt my man, again I'm not saying PFF is 100% correct on all things football.. They are all humans and to be honest with you everyone on this site is very knowledgeable in football and could work there too.. It's a cool job and I love it but I also love football in general as I also coach here in NY. Some of the guys at PFF get too crazy on the analytics side and computer bullshit, I'm the old school guy that says you have to rely on what the hell u see on the field before you worry about stats and computers. As for Haskins, yeah he has sucked mostly this yr and it's discouraging but lets give him another year to learn and grow
Closed Thread