Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Chris Cooley/Fred Davis

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
skinster
Impact Rookie

Chris Cooley/Fred Davis

Kinda an offseason topic to talk about, but it was on my mind after looking at the players contracts so I figure I'd bring it up. Fred Davis's contract is up at season's end. Cooley has two more years left with a pretty sizeable cap number. I say we trade Cooley for whatever we can (4th/5th rounder probs considering he will be 30 next season) at seasons end and extend Davis. Davis has been a pretty shitty backup IMO, but when Cooley went down, Davis filled in great. I think its a mental thing where when he knows he's the guy he plays better. I believe Davis is a capable starting TE and I love the pats theory of trading players before they lose value. Always rebuilding leads to always having a strong team.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Re: Chris Cooley/Fred Davis

Just be sure to include in Davis' contract extension that he MUST purchase at least two alarm clocks so he always has one as a back-up...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Just be sure to include in Davis' contract extension that he MUST purchase at least two alarm clocks so he always has one as a back-up...
Man that one time incident has just become an endless joke hasn't it
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
3 years and people still won't forget it.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
GMScud
Swearinger

Cooley definitely would have some value in a trade, but this knee issue is not helping. Davis is one of the few real playmakers we have on offense, so I'd really like to see him on the field a lot this year. I'd love to keep both guys indefinitely, but given the moves Shanny has made lately, I wouldn't be surprised is he stuck with the younger guy in Davis at season's end.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Only one time with the Redskins but Davis was well-known to be "schedule-challenged" all through his collegiate days...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Only one time with the Redskins but Davis was well-known to be "schedule-challenged" all through his collegiate days...
He seems to have an alarm clock problem only once at each level... he missed the flight to the Orange Bowl, so Carroll didn't let him come to Miami. He slept through one of his first practices as a Skin and was reprimanded. Davis never let it happened again for either squad.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
I missed that one , sorry , i forgot to set my alarm clock
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Kinda an offseason topic to talk about, but it was on my mind after looking at the players contracts so I figure I'd bring it up. Fred Davis's contract is up at season's end. Cooley has two more years left with a pretty sizeable cap number. I say we trade Cooley for whatever we can (4th/5th rounder probs considering he will be 30 next season) at seasons end and extend Davis. Davis has been a pretty shitty backup IMO, but when Cooley went down, Davis filled in great. I think its a mental thing where when he knows he's the guy he plays better. I believe Davis is a capable starting TE and I love the pats theory of trading players before they lose value. Always rebuilding leads to always having a strong team.
That made no sense.....
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
That made no sense.....
He's saying that when FD has to share the responsibility, he's essentially the #2 to Cooley and he struggles. But whenever Cooley has been out and Davis knows he's the man, then he shines
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
diehard
The Starter

I agree with trading Cooley. This would've been the ideal offseason to do it, lockout notwhithstanding. Paulsen is a very capable #2 TE and with Sellers being worked at TE to utilize Young and Keiland at FB it would've been a smooth transition. Cooley's trade value will drop if this season is plagued by this knee problem he has now. At that point, he's likely to be cut if his cap figure is too high or renegotiate.

Last edited by diehard; 08-15-2011 at 09:48 PM.
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

That trade value window expired 2 years ago really with Cooley's injuries. He's more valuable to keep at this point unless he'd net us a 2nd rounder which I highly doubt.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
That trade value window expired 2 years ago really with Cooley's injuries. He's more valuable to keep at this point unless he'd net us a 2nd rounder which I highly doubt.
I'm talking 1 year down the road, when Davis's contract expires. A 30 year old TE with injury issues and a high cap number doesn't have alot of value to us at all. One, maybe two more productive years out of him after this next one at most. Davis should be the future IMO, and next year I think we should make him the full starter.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I'm talking 1 year down the road, when Davis's contract expires. A 30 year old TE with injury issues and a high cap number doesn't have alot of value to us at all. One, maybe two more productive years out of him after this next one at most. Davis should be the future IMO, and next year I think we should make him the full starter.
To piggyback on this point, the market seems to have decided that age 31 is the point where organizational lifer TEs (Cooley, Heap, Shockey, or anyone who wasn't Gates or Gonzalez in their primes) are being allowed to test the market instead of eating up a lot of cap space in their prime years.

Cooley is 29 now, and he's signed for three more years. He'll probably play out all three of those seasons. But the big news here is that perhaps Cooley isn't going to be a lifelong Redskin and that he'll play out his career elsewhere after this deal is done or gets too pricey.

We need Cooley for this season, and have to get him healthy soon. After that, we might choose to get younger and faster as an organization, and Davis might make more sense.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

I don't really see CC having a ton of trade value, even if healthy. Maybe a late round pick at best. I'd rather just keep him til his contract runs out.