Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Was Campbell really ready?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Was Campbell really ready?

JC is the future, without reservation.
Todd, however is doing great. Not only is a good game manager, he DOES NOT make catastrophic mistakes, and keeps the team in positiion to make a play. He has good touch putting the ball in tight spots. He waits for the play to develope, rather than go for the check down if nothing immediately is available. I could not ask for more
I would say he is playing at or above his actual expectation.

JC has far superior physical skills. He has pushed the envelope, and way to much tried to force the play, where nothing exists. To often has he tried to play Brett Favre, and killed a critical drive with a catastrophic error that doomed us.
I would say he is playing signifigantly below expectation

I totally expect JC to benefit greatly from watching Todd. You stay with who got you to the dance!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
SouperMeister
Playmaker

This is year 3 for Campbell, so it was time to take the plastic off and let the kid get some experience. He had some outstanding moments such as the pass to Cooley before halftime in Philly where he played with poise. Those better moments were balanced by critical turnovers in other games, which happens with younger quarterbacks.

Collins getting in may prove a blessing for Campbell in the long run. It will instill a belief that with greater understanding of the system, and quicker decisions, this offense can work great with the personnel we have today.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
12thMan
MVP

Soup, one thing we know for sure now...whether it's Collins or Campbell....this system works.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
skinsnut
Playmaker

The main issues with Campbell is quite simple....turnovers, especially fumbles.
Deep interceptions are understandable...they stretch the "d" and sometimes are as good as a punt....but those fumbles....and 4th quarter interceptions too....ugh.

Other than that, Campbell is quite good.

Collins is clearly quicker with his decisions and I swear he sometimes only has a 2 step drop....Campbell is much slower on quick passes.
I worry about Collin's quick slants to Caldwell....the Cowboys will certainly try to jump those routes for a pick.

It is true that the Skins are keeping more blockers in for protection for Collins due to his immobility...but he still knows where to throw the ball with only a couple options....his timing with the RB releasing late seems to be much better than Campbell.

In either case, Collins is playing great and needs to continue as far as he can take the team this year. Next year it is Campbell.

To be honest, seeing a perineal backup do you job better is a huge motivator, especially since he is the playbook mentor and supposedly has half of the talent.
Collins has been mentoring Campbell on the playbook...but how much weight does he give that guy unless he actually sees him do it better?
Well....now he has...
Campbell will be MUCH better when he gets back...timing for his injury is probably a huge benefit to his development.
Study up Jason, you have some work to do...

And...not to put the panic in anyone, but Collins will be a free agent from what I understand. We desperately need to resign this guy for 2 more years
Old 12-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #20
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
The main issues with Campbell is quite simple....turnovers, especially fumbles.
Deep interceptions are understandable...they stretch the "d" and sometimes are as good as a punt....but those fumbles....and 4th quarter interceptions too....ugh.

Other than that, Campbell is quite good.

Collins is clearly quicker with his decisions and I swear he sometimes only has a 2 step drop....Campbell is much slower on quick passes.
I worry about Collin's quick slants to Caldwell....the Cowboys will certainly try to jump those routes for a pick.

It is true that the Skins are keeping more blockers in for protection for Collins due to his immobility...but he still knows where to throw the ball with only a couple options....his timing with the RB releasing late seems to be much better than Campbell.

In either case, Collins is playing great and needs to continue as far as he can take the team this year. Next year it is Campbell.

To be honest, seeing a perineal backup do you job better is a huge motivator, especially since he is the playbook mentor and supposedly has half of the talent.
Collins has been mentoring Campbell on the playbook...but how much weight does he give that guy unless he actually sees him do it better?
Well....now he has...
Campbell will be MUCH better when he gets back...timing for his injury is probably a huge benefit to his development.
Study up Jason, you have some work to do...

And...not to put the panic in anyone, but Collins will be a free agent from what I understand. We desperately need to resign this guy for 2 more years
Yeah, it was mentioned on ESPN yesterday that there are a lot of bad to average QBs in the NFL right now. Collins is definitely on peoples radar right now. He's going to have a hard time turning down a big 2 year contract to return as a second stringer at best.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #21
MTK
\m/

Of course Campbell was ready to play this year, but for some reason people seem to forget he's still a young QB going through his share of growing pains. Collins is a vet who knows this offense inside and out so obviously there's going to be a big difference in the way they run the offense.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 AM   #22
firstdown
Living Legend

Collins is old and who knows how he would have held up if we started him from day one. He has played some great football and has shown us why Sanders wanted to bring him here as a back up. Learning his system is tough and having a back up QB that knows the system made it so we only had to worry about the starter learning the system which Collins helped to do. I thinking your reading too much into to Collins performance the past 2 1/2 games and we cannot build around a 37 (?) year old QB. If we did we would have set this team back another year of progress. If JC started this year or we waited until 08 at some point he has to start. We saw what happened in Dallas when they turned to a 37 something QB. He started the year pretty good but it went down hill as the playing took its toll on an older QB. Not all 37 year old QB's can be Brett Farve.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
hagams
Impact Rookie

The only drawback I think Collins has, is the way he seems to snap the ball, and stare at one WR/TE until he's open. He's got a really accurate arm, I just wish he has more playing time under his belt so he can get more comfortable and check all his receivers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on him. I'm driving the Collins band-wagon. He's our guy right now.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #24
twinskinsfan
Special Teams

Collins isn't our QB for the future, he is the teacher for JC. Collins is a great pick up and has proven he can be a starter, but I feel more comfortable with him teaching campbell, then relying on him for the next 10 years. Although, Collins is this years MVP in my eyes, he has stepped up tremendously, and you have to give him credit for being able to manage the game and let the rest of the team do their jobs.
twinskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #25
mheisig
The Starter

There's also a huge difference in playcalling.

I wish Saunders would just open up the playbook for Campbell like he's done for Collins and let Campbell figure it out. Like someone mentioned, his strength is the deep ball.

As simply a pure passer I haven't seen anything spectacular from Collins like some of the gorgeous deep throws from Campbell. I can't figure out why, but the receivers all of a sudden seem much more open for Collins and the line protection seems better. I don't see how that's a product of having a different/new/better QB in there as much as it's a scheme thing.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #26
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheisig View Post
There's also a huge difference in playcalling.

I wish Saunders would just open up the playbook for Campbell like he's done for Collins and let Campbell figure it out. Like someone mentioned, his strength is the deep ball.

As simply a pure passer I haven't seen anything spectacular from Collins like some of the gorgeous deep throws from Campbell. I can't figure out why, but the receivers all of a sudden seem much more open for Collins and the line protection seems better. I don't see how that's a product of having a different/new/better QB in there as much as it's a scheme thing.
Probably because Collins gets rid of the ball much quicker.

This offense is based on timing and the QB throwing to spots, sometimes before a WR even makes his break. That's something that comes with time and experience. Campbell just isn't there yet.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #27
prinzeofmoval
Special Teams

yeah collins makes the decisions much quicker.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:09 AM   #28
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

This offense is based on timing and the QB throwing to spots, sometimes before a WR even makes his break. That's something that comes with time and experience. Campbell just isn't there yet.
Exactly, TC gets the ball out fast and does not stand there trying to figure out who's open. He may not have the strongest arm but he's accurate and quick. Its amazing how much faster this O is moving with TC than JC. I am 100% convinced that had JC remained the QB the skins would not be in the position they are in now. TC has given this O the quick decision making and fast release it need to succeed.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #29
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post

You're absolutely correct Matty!

This is my take on Jason Campbell. The guy knows the plays and knows the offense. Campbell is smart enough and good enough to make big plays right now with his raw talent and his athleticism. He knows enough about the plays to know to scan the field and to hopefully throw to the open receiver.

The biggest thing that is missing with Jason Campbell's play right now which really makes this offense run like a well oiled machine is the timing. Collins knows the offense and has the timing down pat. This is why suddenly receivers seem open on every play (although that could just be because a veteran QB is able to see the field better than Campbell,) and of course Collins is probably also throwing an easier, catchable pass than what Campbell throws (Campbell can really put some mustard on his passes ala Doug Williams and Brett Favre.)

Once Campbell gets the timing down pat and continues to develop his touch pass more, wow...watch out for this guy! That stuff takes awhile to develop. Even though we all were ripping the stuffing out of our lazy boy recliners' arm rests when Campbell went down with an injury, it's been a blessing in disguise that Collins has come in and has played as well as he has. This is what Jason needs to be seeing. The offense being run exactly the way it's supposed to be executed. This will help Jason quite a bit going into the next year.

However, to answer the question as to if Gibbs should've waited on putting Campbell in, the answer is no. Campbell came in because he was essentially ready. Maybe not ready in every since of the word when it comes to running this particular offense (timing issues,) but enough to run well enough to move the ball. Campbell will be the starter next season no matter what happens this season.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Collins is playing well obviously, but he might be getting a bit too much credit for the team's success. Look at all of the deep throws to Moss, they weren't great passes as much as great catches by Moss. And as someone mentioned earlier, the O line has been giving him time. I think the latter is actually simply due to them keeping the backs in to block. They left JC alone back there a lot.
Exactly. But Collins has made some nice plays. He threw a nice corner route to Moss that was just perfect. But the play I come back to was against the Bears. The pass to Betts. JC just doesn't make that play yet.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote