Desean Jackson

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Desean Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Gonna Getcha View Post
Desean is a playmaking monster and I'd love to have him on our team. However, I understand why we went with Thomas, Kelly and Davis. We had very small wideouts and needed a reliable, big target for Campbell.
Thank you. Hopefully this won't turn into another thread where some simpleton starts calling for someone's head because we didn't draft Jackson.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Also who is to say he would have been as effective here in DC? Or maybe Kelly would have been a beast in Philly.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

There's also no guarantee he would have put up numbers like this as a Redskin. Jason Campbell has missed Moss deep about a million times this year, why would it be any different with Jackson?

Keep in mind, Jackson has McNabb throwing to him.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #19
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Right now on ESPN980, Kevin Sheehan is going over all the teams that needed WRs that passed on Desean Jackson (some of whom drafted other WRs who havent done anything). Very interesting.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
There's also no guarantee he would have put up numbers like this as a Redskin. Jason Campbell has missed Moss deep about a million times this year, why would it be any different with Jackson?

Keep in mind, Jackson has McNabb throwing to him.
And I would argue that's not all Jason's fault...
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

As much as I tout Campbell, his deep ball is really inconsistent. I would actually put a lot of blame on him for that one. He has a great arm, but sometimes the control isn't there.

He has improved a bit the last couple games. That throw to Moss was pretty good. He underthrew it so Moss could make a play. Not sure if it was intentional, but worked well nonetheless.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Thank you. Hopefully this won't turn into another thread where some simpleton starts calling for someone's head because we didn't draft Jackson.
I wouldnt call for Vinny head just for that but for a gross mismangement of the draft in his tenure. Like I stated above. I just like to see a culture change of team building through the draft, not giving away picks, and yes more effective player picks (Jackson here). Carlos and Laron top ten pick? JC a first round pick...Ramsey a pick at all? Just instead of trying to build team through over paying free agents...try to build a team from the ground up, probably more cost effective, a stronger sense of team with guys coming in together, and greater depth at positions. One guy for sure who was a great pick, Orakpo, ole pat on the back Vinny for that one.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I just want to know what our scouting department does not do that other scouting departments are doing? Not that I don't like Thomas and kelly, I do, but they were listed as being the top two WR's of the batch, not one WR had been picked, we come along and pick the only two WR's that need a lot of work? Jackson comes into the league and lights it up. This year the Giants picked two WR's and they are lighting it up somewhat.

Kelly sees one ball a game. Thomas was close to that but recently has been doing better. Why do these things always happen to us? We finally pick up a good pick in Orakpo and Jarmin. It just seems our talent scouts are not nearly as good as other teams.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I just want to know what our scouting department does not do that other scouting departments are doing? Not that I don't like Thomas and kelly, I do, but they were listed as being the top two WR's of the batch, not one WR had been picked, we come along and pick the only two WR's that need a lot of work? Jackson comes into the league and lights it up. This year the Giants picked two WR's and they are lighting it up somewhat.

Kelly sees one ball a game. Thomas was close to that but recently has been doing better. Why do these things always happen to us? We finally pick up a good pick in Orakpo and Jarmin. It just seems our talent scouts are not nearly as good as other teams.
I guess you mean Hakeem Nicks? But they also have a lot of guys who have taken a few years to do anything at WR. And some (Santana's little bro) that still have done nothing. It happens all around the league. As hard as it is for many to believe, we are not the only front office to make poor decisions and we happen to make some good decisions as well
Old 12-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post

Some random answers:
Lack of picks/general misuse of the draft
less picks= % you'll land a "Jackson"
lack of a upper tier QB
no focus on building a solid offensive line thru the draft
Lack of front office plan-coaching staff and FO not on the same page

The best WR in the world couldn't produce in our 1st half 2009 offense. What would Thomas do in NY? Phili? Dallas? Pretty well imo.

Our offense is coming around and he's putting up some decent #'s.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #26
dmek25
MVP

i laugh every time i hear people bring up wide receivers size. the steelers won with Ward, Randle- El, and now with Holmes. all are 6 footers. if you can play, you can play. screw the 6'5" mix, and Mitchell. they couldn't even get on the field with the skins
Old 12-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I wouldnt call for Vinny head just for that but for a gross mismangement of the draft in his tenure. Like I stated above. I just like to see a culture change of team building through the draft, not giving away picks, and yes more effective player picks (Jackson here). Carlos and Laron top ten pick? JC a first round pick...Ramsey a pick at all? Just instead of trying to build team through over paying free agents...try to build a team from the ground up, probably more cost effective, a stronger sense of team with guys coming in together, and greater depth at positions. One guy for sure who was a great pick, Orakpo, ole pat on the back Vinny for that one.
Orakpo was a good pick, but it wasn't necessarily a brilliant move that nobody saw coming. Chris Horton might have been one of those very rare, brilliant moves by Vinny.

1st round picks are a funny thing -- if they turn out to be great, you say, well of course, they were taken in the first round, they're supposed to be great. So in that sense, the general manager can't really take much credit for it. But if you miss on a 1st rounder, the general manager gets the blame for selecting a first round bust.

Ask Charley Casserly about 1st round busts -- he took six in a row from 1991-1996.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #28
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Orakpo was a good pick, but it wasn't necessarily a brilliant move that nobody saw coming. Chris Horton might have been one of those very rare, brilliant moves by Vinny.

1st round picks are a funny thing -- if they turn out to be great, you say, well of course, they were taken in the first round, they're supposed to be great. So in that sense, the general manager can't really take much credit for it. But if you miss on a 1st rounder, the general manager gets the blame for selecting a first round bust.

Ask Charley Casserly about 1st round busts -- he took six in a row from 1991-1996.
I remember Casserly saying that if you asked any GM at the time what they thought of Desmond Howard in 1992 they would've all taken him in the top 10.

Good point about 1st round picks. GMs have to get credit for not only selecting a good player but also a good fit for their team.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #29
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

I like Desean a lot. I don't understand why Moss doesn't get open the way Desean does.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

The draft by nature is hit or miss. That's why we should be careful wanting to trade warriors for question marks. Nothing is guaranteed in the draft. Look at the Giants, their GM did not address linebacker. He picked another wide recieiver Hakeem Nicks in the 1st round when he already had good young WRs. Manningham, Smith, Hixon, etc. If that was Vinny we would be up in arms. It's like an album, you don't look at one track, you look at the body of work. Im giving Vinny a little credit, he has been making mostly consensus picks. Landry and Rogers those are not maverick picks. So-called conventional wisdom
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote