Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

At this year's NFL owners meetings, one session was devoted to health and safety, which included a presentation of injury data from teams.

The most injured team in 2018? The same as the year before: The Washington Redskins.

Advertisements
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

its not a fluke...and according to Pro Football reference, the injury stats for the team are terrible and go back several more years with us ranking near the top as most injured.

Its clearly poor management, poor conditioning, and poor injury management.

And the fact the front office continues to add players with a poor injury history....welcome to the team Bryce Love. Guice and Quinn couldn't stay on the field last year. Shawn Dion Hamilton , Paul Richardson add last year with injury histories. We continue to keep Reed and Luavao on the roster who are constantly on the sideline

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Re: The Redskins have twice been the most injured team in football. Is that bad luck or bad planning?

From the article:

So after another injury plagued campaign, Redskins team president Bruce Allen brought in outside consultants who are experts in the field, and asked them to take a look at everything related to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of injuries.

Allen said the Redskins wanted to leave the slate as blank as possible.

"We have all the data on the injuries, and we gave them all of it," he said. "We asked them to see if there was a rhyme or reason.

"We didn't want any preconceived answers."

And?

"Ironically, they're so unrelated it's almost impossible."
Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

As for the drafting players with injury history thing, all players coming in have some sort of injury history. It's impossible to get to the pros with a clean bill of health.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

It's poor management , there is no way one team should have this many injuries year after year.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Yeah I heard Michael Phillips give interviews last week about this article (kudos to Phillips, guy is seriously underrated Skins beat)...Bruce gave the consultants complete unlimited access to everything, which is great...im hoping for changes, cause you need some.

When it comes to drafting injuries...sure folks will have some bumps in bruising, but there are relevant serious injuries that can affect the player especially depending on position. Knee and foot is relevant for Bryce Love at RB. This is why these players fall...Also there is relevance to scouting which says "the player's body may not hold up at this level at this position" That's why a Trey Quinn almost goes undrafted...that's why RG3 style of play couldn't last.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Bad luck, shit happens.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

I think it's important to take the statistic Games Missed Due to Injury with a grain of salt. Cam Sims was put on IR after an injury in week 1. But he was healed up and ready to go by week 5. He was put on IR because the Skins needed to fill the roster spot, and they deemed having Cam Sims unavailable for the second half of the season as less important than having somebody else active during weeks 1-4.

Instead I just look at who got hurt, how important are they to the team, and how did they get hurt. Alex Smith as our starting QB was obviously incredibly important to us, and nobody could call that broken leg as anything other than unfortunate luck. Scherff is critical to our team - and the torn pec was tough luck on a borderline dirty play. I don't see what the team could have done about those.

Guice looked like we would build the offense around him and he blows his knee out. Did that happen because he had existing damage in there? If so, you could put that on the team for drafting him, even though his potential is so high that over the long term it will prove worthwhile, and they made up for it by signing Peterson. Richardson had an injury history, so the shoulder was no surprise, the team should have understood he would miss some games. And with Reed, at some point you have to wonder how much sense it makes to design an offense around a player who's always hurt.

So it's a mix. I don't care about Cam Sims's games missed, that's meaningless to me. I look at what happened to the impact players. Smith and Scherff, terrible luck. At the same time, you can fairly question whether Gruden is in his right mind for designing an offense around Reed. At some point, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results starts to sound a little crazy.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
As for the drafting players with injury history thing, all players coming in have some sort of injury history. It's impossible to get to the pros with a clean bill of health.
Bringing in guys like Richardson is on the FO. He has a injury history and they choose to ignore it. Plus he's 150 lbs. What about Lauvao? That's another one that makes no sense. Why bring that guy back knowing he's going to last a couple weeks max.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #10
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Sorry, I disagree. Not all injuries are created equal. Some are bad luck, others are reoccurring.
In an old post I listed the high number of concussions Reed had in college. Before he got here. Yet he is still here ready to collect a huge pay check this year. He will get hurt in training camp like does EVERY YEAR. Snyder, Allen and Gruden made that decision to keep him here. They could paid me to tell them why we lead theeague in injuries. They will play Reed sparringly at first to protect him, then they will play him and he will get hurt. Does anyone want to bet on this?
Jordan Reed will count $9.7m on our cap this year. We could have gotten a Free Safety or blocking TE for that.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Not all injuries are created equal. Some are bad luck, others are reoccurring.

In an old post I listed the high number of concussions Reed had in college. Before he got here. Yet he is still here ready to collect a huge pay check this year. He will get hurt in training camp like does EVERY YEAR. Snyder, Allen and Gruden made that decision to keep him here. They could paid me to tell them why we lead theeague in injuries. They will play Reed sparringly at first to protect him, then they will play him and he will get hurt. Does anyone want to bet on this?

Jordan Reed will count $9.7m on our cap this year. We could have gotten a Free Safety or blocking TE for that.

Of course but Reed’s situation doesn’t apply to everyone. The injuries are a mixed bag and it’s impossible to boil them all down to one cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Of course but Reed’s situation doesn’t apply to everyone. The injuries are a mixed bag and it’s impossible to boil them all down to one cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I Never said it applied to everyone. I said not all injuries are created equal. Some are bad luck (meaning not reoccurring) and others are reoccurring. It is the players with multiple reoccurring injuries are the ones we need to unload. Reed is not the only one. Richardson is another that has multiple ac joint shoulder injuries and knee injuries. He is also collecting a big salary has a vast history of injuries. It is a choice to sign or draft players like Reed.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

To me this is a mixed bag. It goes without saying that something had to give to fix this problem. I’m all for trying almost anything at this point. But I’m sorry what In the ever loving world is an ice machine to make ice out of Gatorade going to do. But I digress

Injuries to Alex Smith and Colt McCoy and even the nerve problem of Dunbar can not be helped. Those I consider flukes. If Dunbar’s nerve issue continues to be an issue it won’t be a fluke anymore.

I’m not even going to touch on Reed, we all know that story.

But the issues with the line year after year. I know it’s a grueling position, but at this point you cannot call it a fluke. Something has to be addressed.

As for Love and Guice. I think we may have reached a little bit in Love and got him earlier than was required. (But hey that’s why I don’t make the big bucks. They may have known something I didn’t). Anyways. With AP on the team again this year. Hopefully we don’t rush Guice back into the spotlight and have an RG3 disaster again. But having AP to work with those guys and our training staff on those type of injuries will hopefully be extremely helpful. That’s not to say that either one of them are the next AP but he came back a year after the injury and put up 2000 yards. And has been able to keep his legs fairly healthy.
Tennskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

Ok so let's say we dump Reed, Richardson, and Lauvao. That's a very small portion of the injuries we've had the past 2 years. It doesn't even begin to answer the question of why we've been hit so hard with injuries.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

If there was "one answer" for this teams recent history tons of injuries, we would have fixed it already. There are likely some reasonable things the skins can do to improve with player health/safety, but a lot of it is likely just bad luck and losing when gambling on drafting/signing injury-prone players.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote