Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #226
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Saints reportedly tagging their Safety Marcus Williams. Salary cap is such a joke, no eay they should have enough to tag anyone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I don't think the cap is a joke, it's just that teams probably already know the players that can be released to give them cap relief AND/OR players that are likely to restructure their contracts.

This is why I laugh when fans say that "players should honor their contracts." Because most of the time it is teams that do not honor a contract. And I get it, it is a business decision, but still.
R.I.P. #21

Last edited by Ruhskins; 03-09-2021 at 03:59 PM.
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-09-2021, 03:55 PM   #227
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I know it's a business but fans mainly get upset when the player treats it like a business and not when the team does
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:58 PM   #228
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't think the cap is a joke, it's just that teams probably already know the players that can be released to give them cap relief AND/OR players that are likely to restructure their contracts.

This is why I laugh when fans say that "players should honor their contracts." Because most of the team it is teams that do not honor a contract. And I get it, it is a business decision, but still.
I get that but when you are 50M to the bad you should not be able to place a franchise tag. In fact I would argue that teams should not be allowed to franchise if they are below zero. That would both enhance player movement (win for players) and enforce cap integrity (win for owners)

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #229
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Teams don't have to be compliant with the cap until March 17th, when the new league year begins. On top of that, no one even knows what the cap is yet.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #230
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Watson is gonna get traded. Even though it's apples to asparagus, the team honoring Watt's request but not Watson's, will be considered racism. The build up to draft day is gonna be nuts this year.
Always the race card, used as an excuse to wrangle special treatment and concessions. What a joke. Watt wasn't in the first year of a sixth of a billion dollar deal. It is isn't racism and screw anyone who says so. Anyone who thinks Watson is going to get traded, this year especially, knows nothing about the mentality of Houston ownership and NFL ownership. They don't care about what fans do, winning and losing, it business and money, period. Watson deserves the cornholing he's about to receive from Houston. Serves him right. Let him holdout and watch the prime of his career and his prime earnings wither away on the vine. What a HOLE.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #231
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Jerry is definitely operating on insider information...
Won't matter as long as he or his pork-chop son are the GMs. You could give them double the salary cap of other teams they still wouldn't bring home a trophy. JJ's ego is pitiful, and he is of course who THE DAN modelled himself off of. He has won nothing without Jimmy Johnson and the roster he assembled. JJ couldn't handle Johnson getting all the credit, was pure ego, so ran him off. What a tool. All he had to do was sit back and let Johnson do his thing and Dallas would have won multiple additional Superbowls.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #232
Scalper

Quote:
How. Can. They. Afford. That.

They can't.
Dak will be 20% of their cap moving forward, give or take, and will have much less talent around him moving forward. If they keep talent on O, D will stink.
As a Redskins fan, I love this signing.
It means the Cowboys will not be contenders.
Dak is a good but not great QB. He is not worth this kind of money, especially not coming off injury. He has played behind a top-five OL, with a top-five RB, with a top-ten WR, and has still never won diddly, though Jones and horrible coaches like Garrett and Pork Chop 2.0 (McCarthy) not his fault.
QB contracts are just insane. I don't blame Dak for driving the hardest bargain and getting maximum value, but it is a cautionary tale as well. Makes so much more sense to draft a QB, in 1st round especially, and have him on 5 years of rookie deal. Also makes a ton of sense to draft and develop solid plan B, so if you end up with an above average QB looking to get paid like a bionic Johnny Unitas, you can let him walk.
In terms of on-field performance, Dak worth no more than $25M, economics of QB just insane.
To think of trading a boatload of picks and then paying preposterous contracts like this, versus drafting a rookie, is insanity given pricing of QBs.
I give Mahomes credit. He is certainly not dumb and could have demanded an inflation adjusted contract in a number of different ways, but he wants to win instead.
You put Dak on a team without a stud RB, stud OL, stud WRs, talent EVERYWHERE on O, he is an above average QB nothing more.
Can't help laughing about the choke artist Romo. Dak not that bad, Romo was the gift that keeps on giving, but I hope Jerry lives to be 7,000 and continues as Dallas GM. Long live Jerry!!!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #233
Scalper

Also, LOVE having McCarthy coaching Dallas. If he could only win one SB with Aaron freaking Rodgers at QB, he's not winning any with Dak Prescott at QB. LOL. Long live Jerry!!!
Old 03-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #234
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

The NFL informed teams this morning that the salary cap has been set at $182.5 million, per sources.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:01 AM   #235
Scalper

Quote:

This is why I laugh when fans say that "players should honor their contracts." Because most of the time it is teams that do not honor a contract. And I get it, it is a business decision, but still.
There are times when holding out may be defensible, especially if you have massively outplayed your contract and it is nearing end. In the first year of a $156M contract less than a year old that made you the highest paid player in league history at the time it was signed is not that time.

Give the NFL owners credit for being smart. They brought in scabs for a year to maintain control of the league and would do so again in a heartbeat. The owners wield most of the power, love it or hate it. The bottom line is that NFL careers are so short only the superstars could afford to hold out the 2-3 years it would take to get a player-friendly labor deal, and not even then. In baseball or basketball, players regularly play decade or more so can stare at 2-3 years no pay and still feel like they'll make a pile. Not the NFL.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:29 AM   #236
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The NFL informed teams this morning that the salary cap has been set at $182.5 million, per sources.
Dang down 15 million. As Cred said there will be blood
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #237
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

My enthusiasm has been muted by all the Wrs getting tags and Lamonte David being resigned .. but lets go!
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #238
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
Also, LOVE having McCarthy coaching Dallas. If he could only win one SB with Aaron freaking Rodgers at QB, he's not winning any with Dak Prescott at QB. LOL. Long live Jerry!!!
Preach! If anyone is keeping score, McCarthy had to lead the league in horrible coaching decisions last season. Please keep him around, Jerruh.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #239
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Dang down 15 million. As Cred said there will be blood
buyers market and we're set to do some buyin'
Old 03-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #240
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post

My enthusiasm has been muted by all the Wrs getting tags and Lamonte David being resigned .. but lets go!
What's the old military adage? Hurry up and wait
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote