Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #406
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

According to this article 4 teams are below 89%, but they don't specify which 4.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...-cole-beasley/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-30-2021, 11:57 PM   #407
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Since Matty thought the name thread was to groundhog day'ish I figured I could bring this one out of retirement too!

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-union-a...030330303.html

The NFLPA wants daily testing, the NFL doesn't. I think daily testing for everyone with simple contact prevention methods for positive tests (not the draconian one unvaxxed players face) would be the smartest solution. Also the article mentions masks are required again for everyone in certain situations

Quote:
Among other changes, the new protocols also require that vaccinated staff members*wear masks when interacting with players*and*everyone to wear a mask in closed quarters*such as buses and planes.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:23 AM   #408
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

“People tend to focus on testing, but it’s very important that we realize, testing is not prevention,” Sills said, per the Tallahassee Democrat. “Testing is not preventing anyone from transmitting the virus. It is one part of our mitigation strategy but it’s not the key part."

- NFL Chief Medical Officer Dr. Allen Sills

Sills pointed to "other mitigation measures such as masking and the avoidance of in-person meetings and in-person meals" as key steps to slowing transmission.

DUMB...

So let's have the players practice and play as a team on the field, sharing each others blood and sweat, but avoid in-person meals and meetings so we don't have to test them more often.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:32 AM   #409
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
“People tend to focus on testing, but it’s very important that we realize, testing is not prevention,” Sills said, per the Tallahassee Democrat. “Testing is not preventing anyone from transmitting the virus. It is one part of our mitigation strategy but it’s not the key part."

Sills pointed to "other mitigation measures such as masking and the avoidance of in-person meetings and in-person meals" as key steps to slowing transmission.

DUMB...

So let's have the players practice and play as a team on the field, sharing each others blood and sweat, but avoid in-person meals and meetings so we don't have to test them more often.
This should be an interesting read when I wake up tomorrow.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:13 AM   #410
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

DUMB...

Testing seems far more key to me. I don't get the nfl's reluctance.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #411
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Agreed.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #412
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Testing seems far more key to me. I don't get the nfl's reluctance.

Assuming the NFL doesn't want to cancel position meetings and on-field contact it would seem testing would be a bigger part of the equation now.
Old 08-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #413
Number44
Special Teams

Quote:
People tend to focus on testing, but it’s very important that we realize, testing is not prevention,” Sills said, per the Tallahassee Democrat. “Testing is not preventing anyone from transmitting the virus. It is one part of our mitigation strategy but it’s not the key part."

DUMB...

This guy is a doctor? Hey, I'm no doctor, but it seems pretty damned obvious that testing does, in fact, prevent transmission. When someone tests positive they are immediately self-quarantined, which quite obviously prevents the person from transmitting the virus to others. Duh.
Number44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #414
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Yes it is messages like this from Doctors and Scientists that is is part of the cause of some mistrust in experts. I assume he he is trying to say that testing is no substitute for Vaccination, but didn't do a good job.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:21 PM   #415
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Aight, what’s our vax rate now?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:15 AM   #416
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Me in fall 2022 getting flu and covid booster shots at the same time.

Omaha, Omaha, I'd liked to audible this to late fall/early winter of 2021.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:10 PM   #417
rocnrik
Playmaker

Covid ain’t slowing up college ball .. just watched Georgia game .. packed house , never saw a mask ..elbow to elbow … then I turn over to news and I’m reminded the end is near … oh wait a minute I just saw one guy hugging another that did have a mask .. it makes you think ..so they force people to wear mask.. you can get fired for not getting Vax and yet the Big MONEY NCAA can have prime time match up and completely be null and void of any covid protocol… makes no sense at all …
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #418
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

Thought I would share my families current situation just for knowledge sake. My wife and I who are both vaccinated, just tested positive for the virus along with our 11 year old son. Our daughter who is 13 tested negative, but she just took the first vaccine shot 2 weeks ago. I actually had been dealing with a sinus infection from allergy issues for the last 3 weeks, got tested during that and was negative. We still wore masks in the grocery stores and all...and haven't been around many people for the most part. We can't help but think that our son got this from football practice...but obviously we'll never know. But this thing ain't going away no time soon...vaccinated or not.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #419
SunnySide
Playmaker

So much for the Dallas Cowboys’ hopes of finally being at full strength for Thursday’s season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

On the same day that left guard Connor Williams returned to practice after being activated off the NFL’s COVID-19 list, coach Mike McCarthy announced that Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin will miss the Buccaneers game after testing positive for COVID-19.

Martin is fully vaccinated but the NFL return-to-play protocols make it impossible for him to be cleared before Thursday.

A fully vaccinated player can return to play in five days if he does not have symptoms following two negative tests separated by 24 hours. An unvaccinated player faces at least a 10-day quarantine.

“He’s frustrated obviously,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “But, hey, this is the world we live in right now.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...#storylink=cpy

Im not doing a Nelson "ha ha" here bc I think we will miss random guys at random times this season as well.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #420
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
So much for the Dallas Cowboys’ hopes of finally being at full strength for Thursday’s season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

On the same day that left guard Connor Williams returned to practice after being activated off the NFL’s COVID-19 list, coach Mike McCarthy announced that Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin will miss the Buccaneers game after testing positive for COVID-19.

Martin is fully vaccinated but the NFL return-to-play protocols make it impossible for him to be cleared before Thursday.

A fully vaccinated player can return to play in five days if he does not have symptoms following two negative tests separated by 24 hours. An unvaccinated player faces at least a 10-day quarantine.

“He’s frustrated obviously,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “But, hey, this is the world we live in right now.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...#storylink=cpy

Im not doing a Nelson "ha ha" here bc I think we will miss random guys at random times this season as well.
Absolutely no doubt about it, we will have guys miss games due to COVID and/or the protocols.