Offseason starts now: A Redskins players thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #181
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Re: Offseason starts now: A Redskins players thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Who would pay Smith a lot of cash? He's not worth a big contract.
Multiple teams would pay for Smith, I've never understood the dissatisfaction with him.

Trent Murphy got 22 Million over 3 years, averaging about 7 mill/year.

Smith is a better player, who has never had a serious injury, entering free agency where the cap has gone UP yet again. He could easily earn 8-10 mil/year.

Idk what you consider to be a "big contract" but the skins dont really have the capital to afford any substantial contracts. Somebody else could easily sign him away.

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #182
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevier2 View Post
Multiple teams would pay for Smith, I've never understood the dissatisfaction with him.
4 sacks!

You want to pay a guy who has never managed 5 or more sacks in back to back years?

Someone might pay him hoping they can more out of him but no one is licking their chops trying to get this guy and he won't get a 5 year contract.

If you are going to defend PS and blame then system/Manusky then realize that Preston probably doesn't want to come back for another 4 sack season.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Preston, we should all agree that we need more out of our primary edge rusher.
jamf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #183
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:

Trent Murphy got 22 Million over 3 years, averaging about 7 mill/year.

Smith is a better player, who has never had a serious injury, entering free agency where the cap has gone UP yet again. He could easily earn 8-10 mil/year.

Idk what you consider to be a "big contract" but the skins dont really have the capital to afford any substantial contracts. Somebody else could easily sign him away.

So for $7.33 million the highly intelligent Buffalo Bills got a whopping 14 solos tackles and 4 sacks from Trent Murphy in 2018. That averages to 1 tackle a game and .30 sacks a game.
So under that same example you gave you want to pay millions to Preston Smith who averaged 1.75 tackles a game, .23 sacks a game. Not million dollar production.
OLB in 3-4 defense is a critically important position. We can do a lot better at a very key position. This draft is talent heavy with defense and outside pass rushers. One of the strongest outside pass rushers draft classes in a long time. Add a few teams will trade up and overreach to get QB's there will be a blue chip pass rusher there for the taking.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #184
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
So for $7.33 million the highly intelligent Buffalo Bills got a whopping 14 solos tackles and 4 sacks from Trent Murphy in 2018. That averages to 1 tackle a game and .30 sacks a game.
So under that same example you gave you want to pay millions to Preston Smith who averaged 1.75 tackles a game, .23 sacks a game. Not million dollar production.
OLB in 3-4 defense is a critically important position. We can do a lot better at a very key position. This draft is talent heavy with defense and outside pass rushers. One of the strongest outside pass rushers draft classes in a long time. Add a few teams will trade up and overreach to get QB's there will be a blue chip pass rusher there for the taking.
I think you're missing my point here...

Trent Murphy was not worth that contract, I agree. But the fact of the matter is HE GOT IT. I don't care for all the numbers and averages you've laid out. The NFL pays for potential. And a players worth is WHATEVER another team decides it is.

Have you ever sold a car? When anybody asks, "How much is it worth?" The answer is, "As much as somebody is willing to pay." That's what it's worth.

Now, I agree that Preston Smith's numbers DO NOT deserve a large contract (although I think i'm a bit higher on him than you are). But do you really think the NFL is going to all of a sudden STOP overpaying for players in free-agency?

Look at Sam Bradford. How much money has he made in the league compared to what his numbers would determine he "deserves?"

I'm not saying P. Smith is going to re-set the market come free-agency with every team bidding for his services. But I DO fully expect him to get multiple offers from other teams who might offer 1-2 Mil./year MORE than we do. In which case he'll probably take it.

Smith is a solid OLB and for a lot of teams they would welcome that as an upgrade. We've gotten used to having stable play there for a long time but it's not just a given somebody will step in and fill that role if he leaves.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #185
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Hoping Smith signs a big enough contract to give us a 3rd round compensatory pick.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #186
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Hoping Smith signs a big enough contract to give us a 3rd round compensatory pick.
I don't see it, I could see us getting a 4th - 6th round pick for Smith.

I liked Smith as he played well (in general) last season and I was hoping he would continue the trend this year but he didn't improve much. I am fine with letting him walk away as long as we have an adequate replacement (Anderson doesn't count as adequate replacement).
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #187
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
I think you're missing my point here...

Trent Murphy was not worth that contract, I agree. But the fact of the matter is HE GOT IT. I don't care for all the numbers and averages you've laid out. The NFL pays for potential. And a players worth is WHATEVER another team decides it is.

Have you ever sold a car? When anybody asks, "How much is it worth?" The answer is, "As much as somebody is willing to pay." That's what it's worth.

Now, I agree that Preston Smith's numbers DO NOT deserve a large contract (although I think i'm a bit higher on him than you are). But do you really think the NFL is going to all of a sudden STOP overpaying for players in free-agency?

Look at Sam Bradford. How much money has he made in the league compared to what his numbers would determine he "deserves?"

I'm not saying P. Smith is going to re-set the market come free-agency with every team bidding for his services. But I DO fully expect him to get multiple offers from other teams who might offer 1-2 Mil./year MORE than we do. In which case he'll probably take it.

Smith is a solid OLB and for a lot of teams they would welcome that as an upgrade. We've gotten used to having stable play there for a long time but it's not just a given somebody will step in and fill that role if he leaves.
So what if the bad teams like the terrible Buffalo Bills overpay under productive players like Trent Murphy or that other misguided teams over pay for an under productive players. That is what bad teams do.
We should not do that.
We overpaid for Paul Richardson, Jordan Reed and Shawn Lauvau. With Jordan Reed it is not so much because of talent, Reed has plenty of receiver skills. It is his lack of production due to consistently being injured. Plus he is a terrible run blocker, enough that it effects our running game. Even when healthy he has holes in his game. So it reaches a point that after years of seeing this that they are not worth multi-millions dollars of salary.

Preston Smith is not a solid OLB. He is a one dimensional pass rush DE being forced to play OLB. He is terrible at setting the edge against the run. He is terrible at reading run and pass plays. LB have to be good at reading plays.
I played OLB and watching Preston Smith play against the run is embarrassing. I am sure he gets his ass chewed out on film day for not protecting his edge. I can not tell you how many times he misread a run play and blew right by the RB going after the QB. That is part of why he is not getting a contract offer. he has holes in his game. Do not give him millions of dollars. We CAN do a lot better.
In a 3-4 defense having two great OLB's makes a good defense great. Both OLB's have to produce sacks in today's pass crazy NFL. If we get another solid OLB to go with Ryan Kerrigan, to go with that great D-Line, to go with Rueben Foster and Zach Brown. we should have a top 5 defense. Plus all of the DB's coming back from injury
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #188
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
So what if the bad teams like the terrible Buffalo Bills overpay under productive players like Trent Murphy or that other misguided teams over pay for an under productive players. That is what bad teams do.
We should not do that.
We overpaid for Paul Richardson, Jordan Reed and Shawn Lauvau. With Jordan Reed it is not so much because of talent, Reed has plenty of receiver skills. It is his lack of production due to consistently being injured. Plus he is a terrible run blocker, enough that it effects our running game. Even when healthy he has holes in his game. So it reaches a point that after years of seeing this that they are not worth multi-millions dollars of salary.

Preston Smith is not a solid OLB. He is a one dimensional pass rush DE being forced to play OLB. He is terrible at setting the edge against the run. He is terrible at reading run and pass plays. LB have to be good at reading plays.
I played OLB and watching Preston Smith play against the run is embarrassing. I am sure he gets his ass chewed out on film day for not protecting his edge. I can not tell you how many times he misread a run play and blew right by the RB going after the QB. That is part of why he is not getting a contract offer. he has holes in his game. Do not give him millions of dollars. We CAN do a lot better.
In a 3-4 defense having two great OLB's makes a good defense great. Both OLB's have to produce sacks in today's pass crazy NFL. If we get another solid OLB to go with Ryan Kerrigan, to go with that great D-Line, to go with Rueben Foster and Zach Brown. we should have a top 5 defense. Plus all of the DB's coming back from injury
Dude I've been agreeing with you, I don't think Smith is worth a massive contract either...

I was simply saying that there WILL be another team that DOES offer him that money. I'm not advocating we do that, i'm not even commenting on his play really. Just saying he is good enough to get some offers come free-agency.

I was using Murphy as an example of how much a player can make in this league with minimal production....

And i'm not even going to get into your "Top 5 Defense" claim. This team has a lot to prove up and down the roster. We are not one OLB away from being top 5.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:21 AM   #189
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Preston is an enigma. Is he actually at the best he can be? Has he been underperforming? Is he lazy and content? I want to keep him because the idea of long term Skins players is awesome. But to me, unless its an obvious team friendly deal, I'd cut him loose.

Note - this is my opinion. I can 100% see both sides of the argument for keeping him or not.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:22 AM   #190
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Preston is an enigma. Is he actually at the best he can be? Has he been underperforming? Is he lazy and content? I want to keep him because the idea of long term Skins players is awesome. But to me, unless its an obvious team friendly deal, I'd cut him loose.

Note - this is my opinion. I can 100% see both sides of the argument for keeping him or not.

Preston Smith won't get better than what he already is...he's never had more than 8 sacks in a season which means he's never had double digit sacks in 4 seasons....I would let him go based on that alone....he has had a lot of pressures on the QB...but he doesn't get home...the team can either sign a edge rusher llike Javeion Clowney or draft an edge rusher in rounds 1-3 of the upcoming draft.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #191
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Preston Smith won't get better than what he already is...he's never had more than 8 sacks in a season which means he's never had double digit sacks in 4 seasons....I would let him go based on that alone....he has had a lot of pressures on the QB...but he doesn't get home...the team can either sign a edge rusher llike Javeion Clowney or draft an edge rusher in rounds 1-3 of the upcoming draft.
I think you mean Jadeveon Clowney and there's no way we could afford him. Especially if we want to re-sign Scherff or Crowder.

I can see both sides to signing/not signing P. Smith as well but everyone here is talking like we can just go out and pick some guy up and we won't miss a beat. Smith isn't elite but we know what we have with him. If he came at a reasonable deal i'd definitely keep him on board.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #192
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
I think you mean Jadeveon Clowney and there's no way we could afford him. Especially if we want to re-sign Scherff or Crowder.

I can see both sides to signing/not signing P. Smith as well but everyone here is talking like we can just go out and pick some guy up and we won't miss a beat. Smith isn't elite but we know what we have with him. If he came at a reasonable deal i'd definitely keep him on board.
Key words: reasonable deal. Since pass rushing is overvalued it's easy to see him getting an above-average market deal, at which point I'd pass. He's not worth above-average money.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #193
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Bottom line is he was in a contract year and had 4 sacks. He ain't getting a big contract. He'll get a pay raise but that's it. He needs to go to a 4-3 team and play DE. OLB in a 3-4 is just a waste of time for Preston.

And I don't care what anyone says that 3-4 sucks a pile of shit. I can't wait to get rid of this fucking miserable defense. Let our d-linemen attack, be playmakers, get up field and be more disruptive. Hope after Gruden gets fired we go back to a pure 4-3.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:39 PM   #194
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

HE'll get 8-10 M I'd imagine
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #195
Irrefutable
The Starter

Spencer Long signs a 3 year contract with Buffalo .
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote