Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Board Management > Playbook

Warpath Myth vs. Reality

Playbook

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Warpath Myth vs. Reality

Lately there have been some amazingly ignorant assumptions about this site and the administrative decisions made by the moderators.

So let's clear some things up.

Myth: You cannot speak your mind and are "absolutely in no way allowed to question anything that has to do with the Redskins. If you dont drink the Kool-aid you're an idiot who has no idea what your talking about

Reality: First of all, the idea that you cannot speak your mind on this site and must agree to everything the "Kool-Aid drinkers" say is preposterous. As has been pointed out in the past, the mods themselves are not all of one opinion. We disagree amongst ourselves all the time, in the public forums and behind the scenes. The above myth is absurd and if that's the mentality any of you have, you clearly have no concept of what this site is about and are better off going someplace else.

Myth: Disagreeing with a moderator about the Redskins will get you banned

Reality: Speaking for myself, I don't hide the fact that I try to think in an optimistic/positive light (Though I'm not naive to the issues surrounding the team, its coaches, its players). This has led to my thoughts and observations often clashing with those of some others here, such as: GMSCud, 70Chip, Htownskinsfan. But ask any of them if I have ever threatened to ban them for disagreeing with me on a post or thread.

The mods do not censor anyone from speaking their mind, so long as they speak it intelligently.

Which leads to the next point. A reminder of Guideline #6 and the role of the moderators

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/announcement.php?f=2

Quote:
We pride ourselves in having a knowledgeable and informed member base at this site. We want to stress that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but if you want to be taken seriously you must back up your opinions with some original thought, facts/stats, etc. Think before you post, take pride in your post.

If the moderators find that you aren't adding much value to the forums with your postings, your thread may be deleted or closed, and you may be subject to a temporary or permanent removal from the forums at our discretion. Remember, we value quality over quantity here. Don't get caught up with how many posts you have.
I understand emotions run high and we inevitably throw in a nonsensical thread. But then it becomes two, then three, then four. And then we start to get into these heated West Side Story like gang wars between two extremes. The "we are perfect's" vs. the "we don't deserve to live's." And we really start to lose sight of taking pride in our posts, valuing quality over quantity, being knowledgeable and informed. And understand that the last part doesn't mean you're here to tell everyone how knowledgeable you are, it's to share information and ideas with your fellow members and become more knowledgeable yourself. Again, if the mentality you have is that you are simply here to speak of how "knowledgeable" you are then you clearly have no concept of what this site is about and are better off going someplace else.

Finally, let's all understand the goal laid out by Matty when he created this site: "To provide the fans of the Washington Redskins with a unique fan perspective with knowledgeable and respectful discussions on our message boards.

http://www.redskinswarpath.com/redsk...path-about.htm

I hope this clears up (and it seems like we have to have threads like these every other month) any misconceptions/questions anyone has had.

Matty, fellow ThunderMods, anything you want to add?

Advertisements
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: Warpath Myth vs. Reality

yeah, anyone who doesn't agree will be banned
Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Great post SS. I hope people read it carefully. Unfortunately, I know there are a number of posters who will not read it carefully, will not believe it, and/or will not comprehend it.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

The Ego's protege has spoken.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
mredskins
MVP

I am just tired of the pretend mods, who have to say in every thread "is this thread material" , "this thread should be closed", "stupid thread", etc...

Too many pretend cops. It gets old.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Matty, fellow ThunderMods, anything you want to add?

Snarf, snarf.

And yes, I agree. Snarf.

Here's my hope for Sunday. Just eek out a win. Whether we deserve it or not, just please pull off a miracle so we can have something positive this week.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Excellent thread. Unfortunately threads like this are needed every once in a while to clear the air and remind everyone why exactly we're here.

SS, I didn't think we disagreed that often. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think the fact that I didn't even know we disagreed often proves your point- you and all the other mods are very fair IMO.

I'm not part of the "Kool-Aid" gang, but I've never been criticized or treated unfairly for this. I've certainly never been warned a ban was coming my way.

I know I can be a little pessimistic and critical of the team, but I try my best to insert as much optimism as possible, thus my heading, "The Impatient Optimist." If I didn't care about the Redskins, their shortcomings wouldn't bother me. That's why I get so frustrated at times. I know most of us feel the same way.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
djnemo65
Playmaker

Good post and I would add that I am sick of people starting rant threads that just espouse their own general opinion about the state of things without offering any new or specific analysis. Usually these threads go something like this: "I have been a Redskins fan since ________ and I (am sick of this crap/believe we need to stand by Gibbs)." These threads offer nothing in my opinion.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
12thMan
MVP

Bottom line, people need to grow the f up.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post

Snarf, snarf.

And yes, I agree. Snarf.

Here's my hope for Sunday. Just eek out a win. Whether we deserve it or not, just please pull off a miracle so we can have something positive this week.
Snarf Snarf

Can you like shut the hell up for 5 mintues, snarf snarf
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Hey,what'd you have to mention me for
I didnt realize we clashed that much
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
STPainmaker
Impact Rookie

I'm a longtime member of the warpath, but rarely post at all anymore. I think the site is great because of the mods and how they keep the threads fresh and nonrepetitive.

If you think your threads are unduly closed or you got banned for no good reason you are in almost every case wrong. Please think before you post or start threads and try not to be too emotional when you post here.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Hey,what'd you have to mention me for
I didnt realize we clashed that much
Well that's the point. We disagree but we don't "clash" And I'm sure you could attest that you never had any reason to think I or any other mod was going to ban you for, as an example, saying "It's the playcalling" when I say "It's the execution"
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #14
GusFrerotte

Good post. The rules here are just like any other blog or message board, just don't go ballistic and be rude or disrespectful to your Skins brethren and you are fine. Lately it has been too hard to get in on the Kool Aid fun at all.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #15
GusFrerotte

I like the fact that you can disagree on here. I used to be a regular on the Wash Post fan message board forum and if you didn't alway go with the kool aid it could get real nasty with the debates. I was a kool aid drinker somewhat myself til the collapse of 2005 then it really hit the fan for me.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote