Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Coronavirus (non political)

Parking Lot

Old 02-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
SunnySide
Playmaker

Coronavirus (non political)

Is anyone starting to get a little worried?

- China quarantines 46 Million people (2/3/20)

https://www.businessinsider.com/quar...ckdowns-2020-1

- Italy, virus surges to 400 infected (2/26/20)
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51645902

- Japan closes all of its schools for 1 month (2/27/20)
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ls-for-a-month

- Iran VP has coronavirus .. he was the spokes person during the US Embassy hostage seizing, fuck him (2/27/20)
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...ate-media-says

- California monitoring 8,400 people for coronavirus, awaiting test kits

California Governor Gavin Newsom said on Thursday that health officials are monitoring 8,400 people for coronavirus symptoms after they arrived in the state from domestic commercial flights.

The state currently has only about 200 test kits, an "inadequate" number, but has been in "constant contact with federal agencies" that will be sending a significant number of new test kits in coming days, Newsom said.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...235731205.html

- World Wide, currently, 82,784 infections; 2,817 deaths (as of 2/27/20)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

- USA, currently below

COVID-19 Cases in the United States

As of February 23, 14 COVID-19 cases had been diagnosed in the following six states: Arizona (one case), California (eight), Illinois (two), Massachusetts (one), Washington (one), and Wisconsin (one). Twelve of these 14 cases were related to travel to China, and two cases occurred through person-to-person transmission to close household contacts of a person with confirmed COVID-19. An additional 39 cases were reported among repatriated U.S. citizens, residents, and their families returning from Hubei province, China (three), and from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was docked in Yokohama, Japan (36). Thus, there have been 53 cases within the United States. No deaths have been reported in the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6908e1.htm

- How does it spread

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
Via respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

Spread from contact with infected surfaces or objects

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nsmission.html

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Coronavirus (non political)

If anyone wants to talk about it (just no politics or blaming please)

I personally am not that worried but I cant help but feel like Im in the beginning scenes of a post apocalypse movie. I guess the saving grace is that is apparently only killing old people, so theres that.

Im starting to get a little worried.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Thanks for starting this. I also agree this should not devolve into a political show.

As for the virus, the longer the US can keep it from making a "beachhead" in the US, the better we are. Even though a vaccine is probably a year away, our doctors will learn a lot from the outbreaks in Italy and South Korea, where we will get honest data.

As more information is learned, more detailed understanding of how the transmission and incubation periods, we should give doctors and hospitals more understanding of how to identify it and enact proper precautions.

Overall, I think it could be a bad - right now it has around a 4% mortality rate, but mainly for elderly, and I think that most of those were inside of China. US, European, and SKorean medical care and infection control procedures are many steps above the Chinese equivalent.

When the Ebola scare happened I worked for a company that cleaned hospital privacy curtains. We had several immediate orders for isolation cleans. Since then Infection control in hospitals has become one of the single most important areas of Hospital administration. That bodes well for containing any outbreaks that may occur.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

This shit always starts in China and u really can’t trust the data coming from them.

The outbreak in Iran sounds really bad, they def don’t have the resources for a quality response. And the fact like their health minister was on tv and was sick with it...not a real tight ship being run over.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 AM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Definitely getting concerned. Scary stuff. Every day it seems to pop up in a different country.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
If anyone wants to talk about it (just no politics or blaming please)

I personally am not that worried but I cant help but feel like Im in the beginning scenes of a post apocalypse movie. I guess the saving grace is that is apparently only killing old people, so theres that.

Im starting to get a little worried.
Dr Li, 34, tried to send a message to fellow medics about the outbreak at the end of December. Three days later police paid him a visit and told him to stop. He returned to work and caught the virus from a patient. He had been in hospital for at least three weeks.

Dr Li eventually died, health care workers in their 20's have been dying in China.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
This shit always starts in China and u really can’t trust the data coming from them.

The outbreak in Iran sounds really bad, they def don’t have the resources for a quality response. And the fact like their health minister was on tv and was sick with it...not a real tight ship being run over.
That was something out of a Black Mirror episode .... a world body head saying there is nothing to worry about on tv .... while he is actively coughing, sweating uncontrollably.

https://twitter.com/AbasAslani/statu...72542968184832

^^ a twitter feed with his sweaty press conf then video announcement he has coronavirus.

---------------------

maryland - 2 people suspected of being infected have tested negative, 2 more people who recently traveled to China are currently being tested or in protocol.

https://patch.com/maryland/owingsmil...-governor-says

My concern is I wonder how accurate the testing is. I read one patient was deemed cured but then got either re-infected or was always infected and the testing showing they were cured was wrong.

---------------

Washington DC - interntational hub for the world ... but so far 0 infections.

(Washington, DC) – Mayor Muriel Bowser has directed her Administration’s agencies to monitor developments related to the coronavirus occurring across the globe and in the United States. DC Health has confirmed that there are no confirmed cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Washington, DC and that the risk of coronavirus remains low. As with any public health concern, Mayor Bowser is encouraging residents to be prepared and informed.

“We understand residents are concerned, but the current risk remains low in Washington, DC, and we will continue to coordinate with our regional and federal partners,” said Mayor Bowser. “We are asking residents to follow basic actions to stop the spread of disease: wash your hands, cover your cough, and stay home when you are sick, especially if you are experiencing a fever.”
https://dc.gov/release/dc-health-dep...virus-cases-dc
Old 02-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

shout out to the media for putting panic in pandemic

He Gets Us
Old 02-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

The flu is still a bigger concern IMO

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

COVID-19: Approximately 2,810 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 27, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

COVID-19: Approximately 2,810 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 27, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
basically, get your flu shot before you splurge on a hazmat suit.

He Gets Us
Old 02-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I am really surprised how harshly the market is reacting to this virus. If I were to be worried about coronavirus, it would be because I wonder what they are hearing that we aren't.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:41 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am really surprised how harshly the market is reacting to this virus. If I were to be worried about coronavirus, it would be because I wonder what they are hearing that we aren't.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Yeah that's had me wondering too, it wouldn't be the first time the market has overreacted but still, it's worth wondering about
Old 02-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #13
SunnySide
Playmaker

Hong Kong (AFP) - All pets of people in Hong Kong infected with the coronavirus will be quarantined, with one dog already in isolation, the city's authorities said Friday.

The move is the first reported case anywhere in the world of a government quarantining pets over the outbreak and was prompted by a positive test in the pet of an infected patient.

The canine has been placed in quarantine for 14 days as a precaution but has no "relevant symptoms", Hong Kong officials said Friday.

"Nasal and oral cavity samples tested weak positive for COVID-19," a government spokesman said without explaining why they tested the animal in the first place.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pet-dog-q...080902393.html

Old 02-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

A second grader in our school district died with the flu last week. It's no joke.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Something to think about...

@AnandWrites
Coronavirus makes clear what has been true all along. Your health is as safe as that of the worst insured, worst cared for person in your society. It will be decided by the height of the floor, not the ceiling.