Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Most likely scenario for the 2020 NFL season?
Starts on time and all regular season and playoff games are played 3 13.64%
Starts on time but doesn't finish 4 18.18%
Starts late but finishes 3 13.64%
Starts late but doesn't finish 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but finishes 2 9.09%
Stops and starts but doesn't finish 1 4.55%
Entire season canceled, no games played 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #151
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Re: Why Hasn't Anyone Talked About-A Possible Cancellation?

I think you have to treat each sport separately. NFL rosters, especially before any cuts, coaching staff and key auxiliary staff are going to total in the region of 150 people. A tennis player and their staff total less than 10. A typical football team anywhere in the world will be 25-50 players and key staff. Each must take measures to reduce the risk of infection when a) training and b) competing. No spectators means different costs etc. too albeit comparable. I expect training camps to be locked down with little or no traffic onto and off campus, not to mention a testing regime. And everyone involved will be expected to keep their families, if not isolated, firmly sticking to social distancing. With the right controls in place starting up again is entirely feasible but needs close control.

Everyone has to realise they have to follow the rules with no exceptions; one exception risks infecting and potentially bringing down the whole team (I don't mean death, though it's a possibility, but everyone infected going into enforced isolation or even ICU could halt a team in it's tracks). We know sportsmen are not the most disciplined off the field so it's a big ask for them to follow this completely...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #152
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You don't get it,.........."pandemics" don't end ,you treat the symptoms and try to develop a vaccine.

I do get it and if you read my post you’d see we’re saying the same thing. As I said, there are three ways for this pandemic to end:

(1) Develop a vaccine and give it to everyone in this country, or give it to at least to enough people for (3) Herd Immunity. It may be a combination of vaccinating people who haven’t had the Coronavirus mixed with those who have immunity based on having the illness. ALSO, as happened in the 1918 Spanish Flu, it appears that COVID 19 has already MUTATED. Which means you can get sick twice from the Coronavirus. We may need several vaccines for this pandemic. The other possibility is a treatment regime that can combat the Coronavirus. HOWEVER, the end to this pandemic is largely dependent to developing a VACCINE.

BL - we are probably 1-2+ years from ending this pandemic with a vaccine(s). What does that mean for the NFL? The NFL is going to have to be creative to get us a season this year or the next year or the one after that. The advantage that the NFL has over MLB, NBA is that football has far fewer games.

How will the NFL season work during the Coronavirus Pandemic? Limited fans in a stadium who must wear masks and gloves. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a filled stadium. There even may be NO FAN GAMES. Players will stay in seclusion during the season with weekly COVID 19 testing. All non-players on the field also must be in gloves and masks, also with weekly Coronavirus testing. It can be done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #153
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I haven’t talked about it because it pains me too think about no football. If the season does start and we go 0-3 maybe ill be all for it!
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #154
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I haven’t talked about it because it pains me too think about no football. If the season does start and we go 0-3 maybe ill be all for it!
If that happens, we'll all be on the tank for Trevor train
Old 05-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #155
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
If that happens, we'll all be on the tank for Trevor train

Haskins growth could make or break us for another few years
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #156
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Haskins growth could make or break us for another few years
Its a huge year for him and its kinda shitty due to the circumstances right now.. But it's a win now league and if he struggles this yr they will be in the mix for a QB in 2021 I'm sure. I just don't see how they will start on time if this shit is still causing problems
Old 05-16-2020, 11:22 PM   #157
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Its a huge year for him and its kinda shitty due to the circumstances right now.. But it's a win now league and if he struggles this yr they will be in the mix for a QB in 2021 I'm sure. I just don't see how they will start on time if this shit is still causing problems

Yeah you’re exactly right. If Haskins sux this season, we’ll be drafting for a premium QB next year.

But, I think Dwayne will do very well this season and he will certainly surprise the crap out of the NFL with a very good second season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #158
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...-us-otherwise/

NFL planning for full stadiums 'until medical community tells us otherwise

Love it... That should be the plan.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #159
Burgold
Special Teams

This season is in the tank...what are they gonna do,play flag football? I don't wanna hear about no-gloves-mask..they'll have to change after every play,no just cancel this season and hope for next year.
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #160
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I think that is a bit rash at this point. Based on what Chico posted it sounds like they have a good plan in place, but realistically should expect diminished fan capacity. Based on what we are learning about the spread ( contact surfaces and asymptomatic transmission in particular) the better we will at managing the problem.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #161
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I’m planning on returning this season to Fed Ex...thinking the 11/8 games versus the Giants. Want to see a def win on my return especially against a garbage franchise. This game would meet both requirements.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #162
jamf
Pro Bowl

NFL has 5 billion in TV revenue on the line.
They are going to play with or without fans.

Players will probably have to wear full mask visors with snorkels or motorcycle style helmets.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #163
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
NFL has 5 billion in TV revenue on the line.
They are going to play with or without fans.

Players will probably have to wear full mask visors with snorkels or motorcycle style helmets.
I saw this same thing being talked about on the NFL subreddit. Apparently they are testing a few different options regarding masks and helmets. They have a prototype full face helmet that very much resembles a motorcycle helmet.

They are also trying to test wearing masks inside the regular helmet. I heard one suggestion that once the players enter the field and they have the helmets on with the masks, they are not permitted to take them off during the game unless there is injury, or at half-time, etc...
Old 05-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #164
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I would think that testing and isolation of players away from sources of infection are a better approach than masks etc. as they are likely to inhibit performance. And we know that players will find a way to circumvent them if they can rather than suffer that.

Putting players up in hotels or team facilities during the season (or at least to start it) where they can be isolated with close family and away from unnecessary risk seems more practical and manageable. nobody is going to like it, but it would be simpler to implement.

Ultimately it's not like here in the UK where we have a single government to hand out the rules etc. You have state by state variations that make it more complicated. But everyone wants to get back to normal as soon as practical/safe. so there's going to have to be some form of compromise on all sides.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #165
Schneed10
A Dude

Here in PA, Governor Wolf gave the all clear for professional sports teams to resume practicing and resume games, doing so under the safety guidelines from the CDC.

Wolf has been one of the more careful governors on handling shut-downs. As he should be since PA has been hit pretty hard.

If he's giving the all clear now, then the NFL will certainly have no problem playing games in the fall. Too much money at stake for all sides, even in empty stadiums.