Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Game Sunday.. Hotels? Crystal City?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Game Sunday.. Hotels? Crystal City?

Those of you who live near DC, I usually just drive up for the game but my buddy hasn't been a tourist in DC so we're coming up Sat morning. Thoughts about Crystal City? getting to the stadium pretty easy from there? Better suggestions? Also, does anyone have an idea what parking will be this year in the non parking pass lots like the church on Jericho? I've paid everything from $20 to $40 over the last few years..
RedskinJake is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #2
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Game Sunday.. Hotels? Crystal City?

if you're staying in crystal city, you can take the metro (it's under the big hotel area) and walk a bit (~1 mile) to the game if you want to avoid the parking mess.

Metro - Getting Around - Metro to Events
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
irish
Playmaker

I think Rosslyn might be a better choice since its still on the Metro and Georgetown is just a short walk across the Key Bridge with all its bars and restaurants.

Old Town Alexandria might also be a good option since its also on the Metro for getting into the city, has lots of bars & restaurants and is close to the Wilson Bridge & the Beltway if you want to drive to the game.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
if you're staying in crystal city, you can take the metro (it's under the big hotel area) and walk a bit (~1 mile) to the game if you want to avoid the parking mess.

Metro - Getting Around - Metro to Events
I've never really considered the metro. What about leaving the game? Do you buy return tickets before hand or just get them when you arrive at the station? Is there a long wait? I have to get down to Richmond and over to Roanoke after the game so anything that saves me time is going to be a plus.. but if it ends up taking just as long it might be better to drive since I can just hit 495 and go..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I would say for you to stay in the Rosslyn area. The metro is right there. If you're looking for nightlife Clarendon is the perfect place.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
mredskins
MVP

FYI Skins stay at the Greenbelt Marriott.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
mredskins
MVP

I stay in the Greenbelt area close to the Stadium.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
mredskins
MVP

With the metro be aware it doesn't go to the stadium directly you get off in Greenbelt (?) and take buses over. Overall PITA.

But to be fair there is no easy way in or out of that hell hole. It is a pick your poison deal.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinJake View Post
I've never really considered the metro. What about leaving the game? Do you buy return tickets before hand or just get them when you arrive at the station? Is there a long wait? I have to get down to Richmond and over to Roanoke after the game so anything that saves me time is going to be a plus.. but if it ends up taking just as long it might be better to drive since I can just hit 495 and go..
you can prepurchase a smartpass online and preload it with money, or add money to it at any station (because of the numbers during a game, i'd suggest doing it beforehand, either online or in person).

you can also do a day pass (lasts till 3am on fri or sat), but that's probably not worth it (when they were $5 forever ago, they were).

it is a mile walk, but MTA is pretty good about matching service to expected volume, so getting back towards where ever you're going isn't too bad. the parking lots are always a pain, they didn't design fed ex field's parking/highway access right, so it can take hours to get out of there if you park. it's bad enough that a bunch of people leave at the beginning of the 4th to avoid as much of it as possible.

parking or metro are both more painful than they need to be, but that's due to bad logistical design by the team/county.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I would say for you to stay in the Rosslyn area. The metro is right there. If you're looking for nightlife Clarendon is the perfect place.
Probably not doing much in terms of nightlife on this trip. Really more of the memorials and museums on Sat and the game Sunday. I did consider the Le Meridien which I think is in the Rossyln area but it looks like if we stay in the Pentagon area we could do the Blue Line Rail from there to Morgan Blvd pretty easy, no? Is there a difference in the quality of the two areas?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #11
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

I would suggest Ballston/Clarendon/Rosslyn, Crystal City is pretty remote. The orange line to the blue line (Morgan Blvd) on the metro is a safe bet. Also Uber offers specials for the games. I live in Arlington and am a season tickets holder, trust me there is no easy way to get to the stadium.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
you can prepurchase a smartpass online and preload it with money, or add money to it at any station (because of the numbers during a game, i'd suggest doing it beforehand, either online or in person).

you can also do a day pass (lasts till 3am on fri or sat), but that's probably not worth it (when they were $5 forever ago, they were).

it is a mile walk, but MTA is pretty good about matching service to expected volume, so getting back towards where ever you're going isn't too bad. the parking lots are always a pain, they didn't design fed ex field's parking/highway access right, so it can take hours to get out of there if you park. it's bad enough that a bunch of people leave at the beginning of the 4th to avoid as much of it as possible.

parking or metro are both more painful than they need to be, but that's due to bad logistical design by the team/county.
I'm not against the walk to the Morgan Blvd station since its a day game unless it's raining. I refuse to leave a game early. If anything I tend to stay late to let the traffic clear out a little. I do like the idea of not sitting in traffic for 2 hours if I can avoid it, especially if parking is going to be $40 or more.. In Philly, I think parking was $20 in the stadium lots and I got valet parking 10 feet from the gate at Fenway for $35 so I just can't grasp $40-$50 for basic parking a half mile away.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinJake View Post
Probably not doing much in terms of nightlife on this trip. Really more of the memorials and museums on Sat and the game Sunday. I did consider the Le Meridien which I think is in the Rossyln area but it looks like if we stay in the Pentagon area we could do the Blue Line Rail from there to Morgan Blvd pretty easy, no? Is there a difference in the quality of the two areas?
Tbh, if night life isnt an issue, you can stay farther south in Virginia. Take the VRE into DC and catch Metro from there. It makes it easier to head south when you leave the area as Springfield and north can be a massive headache traffic wise. You can look in the Woodbridge, Stafford, or Fredericksburg area. All three are right on I95 and are less populated than getting inside the beltway.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Stub hub has Green lot passes at $100.. God help us if we get back to 10 win seasons.. I hope the eventual new stadium has a much better parking/metro situation..