@Chargers postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: @Chargers postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I haven't seen this lack of effort since the last few games of the Shanahan regime. We all know what happened after that. I actually paid more attention to the Eagles-Rams game as that was a very good game with a lot riding on it. However, I would periodically switch back to the 'skins game, and question to myself why I did so!

Dan Snyder needs to just clean house and start over. I don't feel overly confident in Doug Williams being the next great GM, but who knows? Maybe he's (again) what this team needs to win a Super Bowl? I'm kind of at the feeling now that regardless, we'll probably lose Kirk Cousins. Guess we need to just brace ourselves for yet another "tear it all down and rebuild it once again" deal.
Yesterday was the first time (not counting being away for army stuff) that I missed the entire first quarter since I was a kid. I probably won't watch the AZ game either, I'll be doing other stuff from now on until next yr.

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I really wouldn't call a 4th round pick a serious investment. Im saying if there is a Davin Cook/Fournette type this draft, we take him. We are developing Sprinkle as that 3 down TE. And LG, Lauvoa goes for sure and we should try something different there.
Im in the camp that thinks RB are not worth top end resources .. unless it is a true game breaker. Of course, the skins have followed this path and our run game has sucked. Scheme? lack of top end RB? Idk ... but I dont want our 1st round pick going to the RB position. Rather we draft a QB and give Bell money or something.

Sprinkle may be fine as no. 3 on the TE depth chart but he is not a 3 down TE.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

“Because when you look at everything and how everything is panning out, you have to look at the coach first,” Moss said on NBC Sports Washington. “I know the players have to play the game. And as a player, I always said we have to play the game; we have control of what happens on that field. But you also have to be coached by that guy. And not to say he’s not doing a good job in my eyes. I just feel like, from ownership, they have to look at that coach and see if he’s the right one for the future.”
Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
“Because when you look at everything and how everything is panning out, you have to look at the coach first,” Moss said on NBC Sports Washington. “I know the players have to play the game. And as a player, I always said we have to play the game; we have control of what happens on that field. But you also have to be coached by that guy. And not to say he’s not doing a good job in my eyes. I just feel like, from ownership, they have to look at that coach and see if he’s the right one for the future.”
I'm almost willing to go the College coach route again. I would love more than anything to snag Jim Harbaugh, but again, it all starts with the right guy in the front office getting you the players. You know, Vinny Cerrato and company helped to bring in some solid players (Santana Moss, London Fletcher, Sean Taylor, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, etc..) although we all know he's always going to be known for the over the hill, high dollar priced big names like Albert Hanesworth.

Same with Bruce Allen. Under his tenure, the 'skins have picked up some solid players, and have largely missed on others. I actually feel Allen is equal to Vinny Cerrato. Only difference is, Allen brought in the mustard pants which i don't really care for, and he has a "contracts guy" who does all the negotiations and working of the contracts. The contracts have been a pretty solid thing under Allen, but in regards to finding quality depth and those bargain basement players that can make all the difference in the world, Allen has largely failed with this. And in my opinion, it's not who you choose in the first few rounds that measures your competency as a GM, but who you find at the end of the draft, free agency, and undrafted players. That's what separated Bobby Beathard from the rest IMO.

It all starts with finding the right GM. I don't know of any other GM right off the top of my head, who would be available, or head of scouting that's ready to make the leap, that would be better than Scot McCloughan. I think he would come back to the Redskins if Allen is gone. I think Snyder would welcome him back. The team needs a competent GM who's going to have real power to form the product you see out on the field each and every weekend. All Allen did was go by McCloughan's draft board, for the most part, but other than that, he's managed to lose two 1000 yard receivers and cast a group of guys who have been largely injured throughout the season.

Heck, McCloughan at least brought in mid-season guys who have been difference makers, like Vernon Davis. What has Allen been able to bring in during mid season to give this team a huge lift?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm almost willing to go the College coach route again. I would love more than anything to snag Jim Harbaugh, but again, it all starts with the right guy in the front office getting you the players. You know, Vinny Cerrato and company helped to bring in some solid players (Santana Moss, London Fletcher, Sean Taylor, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, etc..) although we all know he's always going to be known for the over the hill, high dollar priced big names like Albert Hanesworth.

Same with Bruce Allen. Under his tenure, the 'skins have picked up some solid players, and have largely missed on others. I actually feel Allen is equal to Vinny Cerrato. Only difference is, Allen brought in the mustard pants which i don't really care for, and he has a "contracts guy" who does all the negotiations and working of the contracts. The contracts have been a pretty solid thing under Allen, but in regards to finding quality depth and those bargain basement players that can make all the difference in the world, Allen has largely failed with this. And in my opinion, it's not who you choose in the first few rounds that measures your competency as a GM, but who you find at the end of the draft, free agency, and undrafted players. That's what separated Bobby Beathard from the rest IMO.

It all starts with finding the right GM. I don't know of any other GM right off the top of my head, who would be available, or head of scouting that's ready to make the leap, that would be better than Scot McCloughan. I think he would come back to the Redskins if Allen is gone. I think Snyder would welcome him back. The team needs a competent GM who's going to have real power to form the product you see out on the field each and every weekend. All Allen did was go by McCloughan's draft board, for the most part, but other than that, he's managed to lose two 1000 yard receivers and cast a group of guys who have been largely injured throughout the season.

Heck, McCloughan at least brought in mid-season guys who have been difference makers, like Vernon Davis. What has Allen been able to bring in during mid season to give this team a huge lift?

I just cant do college man, they never work out 95% of the time. I think we need a younger hungry guy like Josh Mcdaniels or Sean Mcvay... Oh wait
Old 12-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I just cant do college man, they never work out 95% of the time. I think we need a younger hungry guy like Josh Mcdaniels or Sean Mcvay... Oh wait
Honestly though, I don't see any coach successful until we have a proper GM in place.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Honestly though, I don't see any coach successful until we have a proper GM in place.
no doubt
Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I'd be down with Russ Grimm on the condition he hires a young up and coming OC. Old school toughness with high tech offense sounds good to me.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #24
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I enjoying conversating with you guys, but (classic soften-the-blow statement here) Russ Grimm and Josh McDaniels? One has never been a coordinator, the other was one of the worst head coaches in modern history with the Broncos.

Reading this thread has made me realize we really took it for granted when McVay was here.

I also don't have faith that we're smart enough to identify the next young up-and-comer in the mold of McVay, which is why I'm still not sold on firing Gruden. The lack of effort thing kills me though. That directly reflects on the head coach.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I enjoying conversating with you guys, but (classic soften-the-blow statement here) Russ Grimm and Josh McDaniels? One has never been a coordinator, the other was one of the worst head coaches in modern history with the Broncos.

Reading this thread has made me realize we really took it for granted when McVay was here.

I also don't have faith that we're smart enough to identify the next young up-and-comer in the mold of McVay, which is why I'm still not sold on firing Gruden. The lack of effort thing kills me though. That directly reflects on the head coach.
I just want someone that is tough hard nosed coach. No more of this player friendly crap. And I don't want HC calling plays for either side. HC is supposed to be the CEO that establishes the teams identity. Don't want Jay's identity on this team.
sdskinsfan2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #26
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I just want someone that is tough hard nosed coach. No more of this player friendly crap. And I don't want HC calling plays for either side. HC is supposed to be the CEO that establishes the teams identity. Don't want Jay's identity on this team.
I see where you're coming from, but I just want a coach who has players willing to run through a brick wall for him. He has to command respect. A guy like Mike Tomlin, for example. Sets the tone, but can also delegate to his lieutenants as necessary.

My problem with Jay is the fear that he can't be that guy without McVay, and these last two games the lack of effort has been really surprising. Now guys like Norman and Swearinger are airing their grievances in the media, it really tells me something is fundamentally wrong. We didn't let injuries be an excuse against Seattle, or hold us back for the first 55 minutes against the Saints. So why now? A team not being ready to play is a direct reflection of its' coaches.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #27
MTK
\m/

When the season is winding down and you're beat up, out of the playoff hunt, and coming off tough losses, guys are going to get frustrated and blow off steam in the media. I don't think it needs to be blown up into anything bigger than it is.

Swearinger seemed more ticked about players not preparing themselves, not knowing their assignments, obviously not doing their homework. Coaches can set the tone but at some point the players have to be responsible too.

Quote:
Swearinger's concern was unnamed teammates asking him, even in pregame about “how we play certain stuff, what position we should be in.” Questions a player should know the answers to long before they take the field.

“I’m a player, I can only get myself ready,” Swearinger said. “I try to get the defense ready as much as I can, but you’ve got to prepare yourself. We’re all pros. Jay can say what he wants to say, but we’re pros and we have to prepare ourselves the way we know how to play. Older guys should know. They should know how to prepare. We should trickle it down to the guys who don’t know how to prepare. We need to do something to figure this out to get better.”
Old 12-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #28
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Yes. Bruce's tenure here has been a failure Win / Loss wise.

Until he is gone, it does not matter who comes in here as coach.

Until Bruce is gone, it is going to 100% affect who would WANT to come here even if/when we fire Jay...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #29
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Yeah at least the Redskins will beat the Giants. Giants season stinks!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #30
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
Yeah at least the Redskins will beat the Giants. Giants season stinks!
We have seen nothing these last two games to indicate the Redskins at this point in time could beat the Giants again.

Gruden / The players seem to have packed it in. Very real chance we have benched guys by the time of the Arizona game. We are facing a 5-11 season here, and all of our losses might come by huge blowouts. Then we have the fun that is the Scot McCloughan hearing on the 18th. This is a special time to be a Skins fan.