Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #91
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Jay Gruden expected to return in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
Too funny.

You guys should get together and organize a pep rally to fire the players up next Week 17 after playoff elimination.

A bonfire, just like in the movies.

Maybe transcribe a Lombardi speech and put it on the bus seats on the way to the game.

That game will have zero effect on the beginning of next season just like last year's didn't effect the start this year.

These guys are pros that are either trying to play out their contract or get one.

Assuming otherwise is pretty naive.

But whatever, cut somebody on the fence to set an example Jeff Fisher style. Jay can look super tough and the stars who are getting paid will play exactly the same, and the guys trying to become stars will still play hard.

Rah Rah Rah. Go team! LOL.

I do like your spirit though.
Not gonna lie, bonfires are awesome!

If people are just playing out their contracts thats lame, I know its not the same, but I have pride of ownership of my work. Even if you're good enough to get away with mailing it in, doesn't mean you shouldn't be embarrassed to do so.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #92
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Not gonna lie, bonfires are awesome!

If people are just playing out their contracts thats lame, I know its not the same, but I have pride of ownership of my work. Even if you're good enough to get away with mailing it in, doesn't mean you shouldn't be embarrassed to do so.
Ideally, I agree with you.

With the way contracts are in the NFL, these guys are all more independent contractors than anything.

Knowing the team would move on from half the roster in a hot minute, they were watching the clock the whole game hoping to be on a couch rather than undergoing an MRI Monday morning.

College is college and the NFL is the NFL. I get the idea, it just isn't reality at this level.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #93
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Honest question: Would Belichick, or Gibbs, accept their team taking it easy on a "meaningless" game? Not a game at the end of the season when they are resting their starters for the playoffs (wish we were that good, lol), but a game at the end of the season when we are out of the playoffs period?
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #94
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Of the Redskins under contract next year, whose career will be hurt by the last Giants game?

Give a couple examples please.

I made the distinction between the players trying to get signed versus the players under contract for a reason.
As I said before .The fans think one way the players another .I have no idea who is under contract for the Redskins and don't pretend to ,same as I don't pretend to know what player quit on the team if anyone.
The Giants had a player come right out and say it,......he is gone .A fans perspective and a GM's or front Office person perspective are two different things.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #95
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Honest question: Would Belichick, or Gibbs, accept their team taking it easy on a "meaningless" game? Not a game at the end of the season when they are resting their starters for the playoffs (wish we were that good, lol), but a game at the end of the season when we are out of the playoffs period?
The short answer is I don't know if they accepted it.

But it happened! (At least with Belichick in Cleveland)

When Belichick was the Browns head coach, his team lost the week 17 game 4 out of 5 years (from 1991 to 1995). In 1994 they made the playoffs and won the last game of the regular season.

There were fans in Cleveland saying at the time would Lombardi or Landry have accepted this?!?

I got tired of looking and have already invested more time into this discussion than I want to. You can look up Gibbs and Belichick's other stuff if you want.

Again, I don't think this "proves" anything, I just don't think it matters that much one way or the other.

I do think Belichick and Gibbs are great communicators and great at relating to the human animal. I also believe they are brilliant and would recognize that they have to be real with men, not college kids, about what is at stake in a meaningless week 17 game.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #96
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
The short answer is I don't know if they accepted it.

But it happened! (At least with Belichick in Cleveland)

When Belichick was the Browns head coach, his team lost the week 17 game 4 out of 5 years (from 1991 to 1995). In 1994 they made the playoffs and won the last game of the regular season.

There were fans in Cleveland saying at the time would Lombardi or Landry have accepted this?!?

I got tired of looking and have already invested more time into this discussion than I want to. You can look up Gibbs and Belichick's other stuff if you want.

Again, I don't think this "proves" anything, I just don't think it matters that much one way or the other.

I do think Belichick and Gibbs are great communicators and great at relating to the human animal. I also believe they are brilliant and would recognize that they have to be real with men, not college kids, about what is at stake in a meaningless week 17 game.
Saying that a bad team loses the final game 4 out of 5 times isn't proof the coach was sandbagging it. And one of those losing seasons was when the Browns relocation controversy was ongoing, not just a case of playing a normal "meaningless" game.

I liked Mike Shanahan's take on being in the middle of a losing season here in 2012: It was time for evaluations. He had to back off that statement publicly, but the original statement seemed like something he, Belichick, and Gibbs would say rather than let the team slide on a "meaningless" game.

Good teams don't sandbag games for draft picks, give up in games when playoffs are out of reach. They build a winning culture through the ups and downs.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #97
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
There were fans in Cleveland saying at the time would Lombardi or Landry have accepted this!

Two things,

1) Fans root and speak from their heart,be it in love or anger ,very little actual knowledge is involved which is why it should be taken very lightly.

2) I agree with your opinion of both coachs but I look at it this way when those players are playing at a level were your coach is one of those two HOF coach's they are not "college kids" and should not have to be told,they are coach's not baby sitters.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #98
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailgreen28 View Post
saying that a bad team loses the final game 4 out of 5 times isn't proof the coach was sandbagging it. And one of those losing seasons was when the browns relocation controversy was ongoing, not just a case of playing a normal "meaningless" game.

I liked mike shanahan's take on being in the middle of a losing season here in 2012: It was time for evaluations. He had to back off that statement publicly, but the original statement seemed like something he, belichick, and gibbs would say rather than let the team slide on a "meaningless" game.

Good teams don't sandbag games for draft picks, give up in games when playoffs are out of reach. They build a winning culture through the ups and downs.
What is your solution? What action should the team take based on the week 17 giants game?

Last edited by DYoungJelly; 01-14-2018 at 01:08 PM.
DYoungJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #99
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Two things,

1) Fans root and speak from their heart,be it in love or anger ,very little actual knowledge is involved which is why it should be taken very lightly.

2) I agree with your opinion of both coachs but I look at it this way when those players are playing at a level were your coach is one of those two HOF coach's they are not "college kids" and should not have to be told,they are coach's not baby sitters.
Totally agree. If you need a coach to "inspire" players at the pro level, you need different players.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #100
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
All the speculation is a moot point. Now let’s replace Bruce Allen, Kowitca and Hillard, sign Cousins and everything will be ok

If you think Gruden is a good coach it will be. I personally do not.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #101
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
What is your solution? What action should the team take based on the week 17 giants game?
Same thing as every game. Make an evaluation in context with the other games. Don't just blow it off, and make sure the players know every game is important to building a winning culture. I agree with your post above. If you really need to inspire your players, you need different players.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #102
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Source: Some Steelers limited partners want a coaching change – ProFootballTalk

If he hits the market, would you rather have Tomlin right now??

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...ayoff-debacle/
Old 01-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #103
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Gruden has been a hc for 4 years and still can't manage the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Andy Reid says hold my beer bro
And Tomlin pulled this shit for a chance to go to the AFC Championship game:

Mike Tomlin Explains, Defends Onside Kick Decision - Steelers Depot

This decision was a killer.

Its subjective, but still vet coaches still struggle with clock management.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #104
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Yes, I would. It's not debatable either, Tomlin is better than Gruden.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #105
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Did Tomlin win with a team he built? I can't remember if that Cards game was with him there long enough?