Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

1st Presidential Debate Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-30-2020, 06:03 AM   #31
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: 1st Presidential Debate Thread

Summary:

Chico, how do you measure what winning the debate is? Is it not letting your opponent ever talk cleanly without interrupting? Is it measured in the # of votes gained? Because if it's the former, he definitely won. If it's the latter, it's etiher a wash or a loss.

Agree with Baltimoreskins - this is the best we have in 2020? Biden is old AF, and takes too long to gather his thoughts into coherent sentences. Somebody 30 years younger would've wiped the floor with Trump's nonstop talking ass. This truly is a vote for a lesser evil. I really don't expect Biden to do anything to shake up the system if he wins. It will just be a return to "normalcy" or as much normal as it can get in this COVID world.

The one point Biden made that I agreed with was calling for police and minorities to come together to work out their issues. I think both sides have legit concerns that need to be acknowledged. And Trump's failure to fully denounce racism and his racist supporters like white supremacists/Proud Boys/etc. is not going to win him any new supporters.

I don't even know that they will agree to another debate because Trump clearly has no intention of letting anyone talk without interjecting.

Advertisements
Old 09-30-2020, 06:47 AM   #32
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Unless you can actually mute people, the format doesn't matter imo.
This is a recent phenomenon. They showed clips of Kerry and Bush debating and it was how it should be civilized. Two Americans discussing what they think is best for the country. Not what we saw last night.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:58 AM   #33
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Trump is not trying to get re elected. He is trying to consolidate power. He literally called on terrorist groups to “stand by”. Junior took out an add calling on “armies” to get to the polling places. Put judges in place to fight the results into his favor. Manipulate the post office. This is what a dictator does when they try to gain power in a non democracy. And people like Chico who applaud it are as American as Moscow.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #34
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Only winner might have been our biggest enemy Russia.

Trump couldn't let any one get in a word edge wise. Throughout conspiracy theories one after another and when he did make a legitimate point he NEVER continued down that road. Instead went back to his conspiracy theories. His message was confusing. Was he trying to win suburban moms like we've been told? That didn't do it.

Biden held himself more distinguished but that wasn't too hard. Did let Trump get under his skin. He should never of segued back to his kids when answering questions but when he did he should have followed up more about Hunter's drug addiction battle. That would resonate with a lot of Americans. Overall I thought he was weak in the debate if the Republicans had someone with a clear policy message Biden would have been toast. He didn't attack Trump on things such as job loss in the energy sector. He also fell way short of explaining why coal and oil fired power plants shouldn't be created going forward. Why defunding the police means they will have additional supports etc. etc.

Personally I was disappointed on the lack of time and acknowledgment of climate change. Dealing with climate change is a job creator and a revenue saver. It is a win win. Both fell woefully short.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #35
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I thought Biden was pretty clear about the jobs created by renewable energy. As clear as he could be with a guy having a temper tantrum next to him.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #36
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
There is literally nothing more surprising in the world than you coming here and shitting on Trump. NOTHING!

And now I'm actually concerned for your sanity:

"LOL, are you surprised? ............and people want to know why they are riots in the streets , becuase the president told them too that's why."

Are you delusional or just a compulsive fucking liar? Anyone that buys this bullshit statement can just block me.
So what exactly do you think he means when he said this, "Proud boys stand back and stand by?"

You're just pissed because trump came off looking every bit the orange faced clown we all know he is.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #37
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
I thought Biden was pretty clear about the jobs created by renewable energy. As clear as he could be with a guy having a temper tantrum next to him.
I agree that nobody really came out a winner but Biden proved he can stand toe to toe with trump .That scares trump.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:53 AM   #38
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
There is literally nothing more surprising in the world than you coming here and shitting on Trump. NOTHING!

And now I'm actually concerned for your sanity:

"LOL, are you surprised? ............and people want to know why they are riots in the streets , becuase the president told them too that's why."

Are you delusional or just a compulsive fucking liar? Anyone that buys this bullshit statement can just block me.

SD man i like ya too much to block you but im not sure how you can discount the dog whistles and innuendo that Trump spews? He absolutely without a shadow of a doubt has consistently had the chance to sew unity and ask for peace and admit that there is racial inequality. Instead he sews discord and panders to his base and incites violence with his rhetoric. Fine people on both sides? Last night told a known white supremacist group to stand pat? Come on man. Nobody is arguing the fact that a few bad apples take advantage of this situation by looting or starting fires but Trump has yet to denounce the extreme right for their acts of violence. This is not theory. This is happening in plain sight.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #39
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

1st Presidential Debate Thread

All Trump had to do was acknowledge the racial inequality and people would at least know they are being heard and seen. But he knows (and you know) that he cannot do that. His base consists of every racist in the country. No i did not say his entire base is racist. It is a fine line he has to walk not to alienate them, and as time marches on he becomes less careful about walking a fine line. Culminating in him telling them last night in front of the world to “stand pat”.
Because he was put in a corner. If you do not think he wants these terrorist right wing white nationalist extremist groups to disrupt peoples rights to vote you are not paying attention.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #40
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Deep inside Trump probably doesn’t hate minorities or share the views of these racist extremists BUT he knows they are his ticket to power and is willing to overlook what is right or wrong to get it. Or he does share their views. Either way it is dangerous and wrong.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #41
SunnySide
Playmaker

Got through the first 30 mins or so.

Joe should demand mic mutes so when a candidate has 2 mins, the other mic is muted.

Embarrassing display last night as a representation of America.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 AM   #42
mredskins
MVP

The whole thing was embarrassing; in the 80s/90s that immature level of a debate would have only been seen on Monday Night Raw.

Biden even at times step pretty low.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #43
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The whole thing was embarrassing; in the 80s/90s that immature level of a debate would have only been seen on Monday Night Raw.

Biden even at times step pretty low.

I think Biden held his composure and tried to address the people and stick to the issues for the most part. I mean when ya got i guy talking over you and barking in ur ear it is hard to ignore it for that long.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #44
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I feel like over the last few years we've gotten literally checking out the bark on the trees instead of viewing the entire forest.

Anyone supporting Trump, are you happy with your America right now?

Go back to the earliest time you can remember, tell me this isn't the lowest possible point in our country in your lifetime. I can certainly say that's the case right now. He is directly responsible for that. You could have a cardboard cut-out that's politically independent and the country would be in a better place right now. The minutiae of both sides is important, but I just cannot fathom this worship of this person.

Did you revere the Bushes like this? Reagan?

They've all had their faults, but can you honestly say Trump is better and the country is in better shape than when they were in office?
Old 09-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #45
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I feel like over the last few years we've gotten literally checking out the bark on the trees instead of viewing the entire forest.

Anyone supporting Trump, are you happy with your America right now?

Go back to the earliest time you can remember, tell me this isn't the lowest possible point in our country in your lifetime. I can certainly say that's the case right now. He is directly responsible for that. You could have a cardboard cut-out that's politically independent and the country would be in a better place right now. The minutiae of both sides is important, but I just cannot fathom this worship of this person.

Did you revere the Bushes like this? Reagan?

They've all had their faults, but can you honestly say Trump is better and the country is in better shape than when they were in office?

It. Is. A. Cult. Full. Stop.