Colt Brennan goes on IR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Colt Brennan goes on IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
lol I still don't see how colt played well this preseason. Terrible mechanics, terrible decisions, cockiness, etc. I can't believe Colt will ever threaten anyone for a starting job. ever.
He wasn't great but he wasn't bad either. If you think about it JC played horribly in the first two games. JC only started looking good in the two last games. A whole 25 games it took him if you think about it. 5 preseason games last yr, 16 regular games, and 4 preseason games this yr. Colt has had like 8-10 preseason games. Limited time.

In regards to his mechanics; I think his foot work is ok, but apparently you are wanting to change his throwing motion he's probably been using since little league and got him to where he is now. That's not gunna happen. Look at Favre. Atlanta got rid of him cause they couldn't change his mechanics and GB capitalized on it.

As far as his terrible decision making; He's only had like 8-10 games. All using second string O-lineman. I know it was against second stringers but if your O-lineman aren't blocking and your running for your life as in the play he got injured he's not gunna learn much cause at that point your just trying to not do something stupid with the ball.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

I'm happy they did not cut him. He is my favorite qb on this team. He wll eventually become a starter for this team. I guess we can have Chase as the number 3 this year. We can now move onto another topic than Colt vs Chase. I would have love to ee Colt in mop up duty this year at least.
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
lol I still don't see how colt played well this preseason. Terrible mechanics, terrible decisions, cockiness, etc. I can't believe Colt will ever threaten anyone for a starting job. ever.
Well, San Francisco, Detroit, Carolina, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Denver, and St. Louis are just a few teams I could see him starting either by injury or by him just being better than most of those QB's. Matt Hasselbeck was picked in the draft in the 6th round like Brennan, was fairly average in the preseason, got to a team he had a better chance of starting with a familiar offense, then boom! he became a pro bowler. Now of course I'm not saying Brennan will be the next Matt Hasselbeck, but I am saying that if you give Brennan time to develope, and first stringers around him, he's got a shot to be a pretty damn good 6th round QB.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
He wasn't great but he wasn't bad either. If you think about it JC played horribly in the first two games. JC only started looking good in the two last games. A whole 25 games it took him if you think about it. 5 preseason games last yr, 16 regular games, and 4 preseason games this yr. Colt has had like 8-10 preseason games. Limited time.

In regards to his mechanics; I think his foot work is ok, but apparently you are wanting to change his throwing motion he's probably been using since little league and got him to where he is now. That's not gunna happen. Look at Favre. Atlanta got rid of him cause they couldn't change his mechanics and GB capitalized on it.

As far as his terrible decision making; He's only had like 8-10 games. All using second string O-lineman. I know it was against second stringers but if your O-lineman aren't blocking and your running for your life as in the play he got injured he's not gunna learn much cause at that point your just trying to not do something stupid with the ball.
I know our Oline isn't too hot, but I guess it is hard for me to change my opinion about colt dating back to the Sugar Bowl. He saw a real defense and looked horrid. I know people have said this a million times, but Timmy Chang. Timmy Chang. I have felt this way about Colt from day one.

As for JC looking bad, I always felt he had the arm, but he was just a bit slow on his decision making. Obviously that was because he wasn't comfortable with the playbook. I didn't see the raging arrogance which lead to a ton of turnovers.

To me, I am the kinda guy who wants steady and consistent improvement. That is what I saw from JC, along with better skill(from draft day).
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #20
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
This is the best worst news a Colt fan can hear. We know he won't be cut now, and we can keep another young flashy rookie in chase. Maybe next year we can keep both Colt and Chase, probably campbell (assuming he does good enough to earn a contract extension) and we can say good bye to collins. At least Colt didn't get cut, and picked up by another team, and somehow become that teams QB by default sometime during the season, play us and beat us, believe me I could see one happening, just like how I could see St. Louis and Cincinnati beating us last year. Just thank god colts with US!
Your living in a dream world, Colt Brennan has a LONG way to go in being a starting quarterback in this league. And this does nothing but set him back(no practice), Daniel will now have the "inside track" come next year.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
This is the best worst news a Colt fan can hear. We know he won't be cut now, and we can keep another young flashy rookie in chase. Maybe next year we can keep both Colt and Chase, probably campbell (assuming he does good enough to earn a contract extension) and we can say good bye to collins. At least Colt didn't get cut, and picked up by another team, and somehow become that teams QB by default sometime during the season, play us and beat us, believe me I could see one happening, just like how I could see St. Louis and Cincinnati beating us last year. Just thank god colts with US!
I know I sometimes drink the kool-aide - but, man, the stuff they are serving in Cult headquarters is some seriously strong sh**.

He doesn't have the armstrength to be a Favrian gunslinger but seems to think he can thread the ball anywhere (please, please don't pull out the Montanna comparisons in terms of armstrength - 1) I don't think he has even Montana/Garcia/B. Johnson armstrength; 2) He doesn't play like a guy who knows he needs to manage the game to succeed).

IF he recognizes his limitations, AND stops with the gunslinger mentality, THEN MAYBE he will make a competent back-up.

Of course to do that, he would have to become the unColt.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
JoeRedskin

Okay, now I'm being lazy -- What are the restrictions for being on IR? He can't practice with the team, can he attend team meetings?

Actually, if the IR move is true and he dedicates himself to: 1) learning the playbook; 2) learning how to be a pro QB; and 3) improving his arm strenght (most important IMO). He may improve himself for the long run and, consequently, find a way to play in this league.

Honestly, his best shot may be the CFL - He could be the next Doug Flutie up north.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #23
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I know I sometimes drink the kool-aide - but, man, the stuff they are serving in Cult headquarters is some seriously strong sh**.

He doesn't have the armstrength to be a Favrian gunslinger but seems to think he can thread the ball anywhere (please, please don't pull out the Montanna comparisons in terms of armstrength - 1) I don't think he has even Montana/Garcia/B. Johnson armstrength; 2) He doesn't play like a guy who knows he needs to manage the game to succeed).

IF he recognizes his limitations, AND stops with the gunslinger mentality, THEN MAYBE he will make a competent back-up.

Of course to do that, he would have to become the unColt.
And of course the cult will slowly demise after.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Oh yes. Thank the good lord we didn't part ways with a fringe scrub NFL qb who very well could have been cut if it weren't for injury. God is watching over us for sure on this one.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Well, San Francisco, Detroit, Carolina, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Denver, and St. Louis are just a few teams I could see him starting either by injury or by him just being better than most of those QB's. Matt Hasselbeck was picked in the draft in the 6th round like Brennan, was fairly average in the preseason, got to a team he had a better chance of starting with a familiar offense, then boom! he became a pro bowler. Now of course I'm not saying Brennan will be the next Matt Hasselbeck, but I am saying that if you give Brennan time to develope, and first stringers around him, he's got a shot to be a pretty damn good 6th round QB.
so if colt has been in our system for over a year and while playing against second and third string defenses in the preseason, was battling just to be a number THREE QB, how on earth can you think he could be injured, unable to practice, yetSTART for a new team running a system hes not familiar with against a starting defense during the regular season?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
hooskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
Your living in a dream world, Colt Brennan has a LONG way to go in being a starting quarterback in this league. And this does nothing but set him back(no practice), Daniel will now have the "inside track" come next year.
No offense, but I am not sold on Daniel either. Him being a short turd, makes it tough in the NFL. He could barely look over the Oline, but at least he has some restrain.

I felt bad for him last game because it looked like the Oline really f'ed up on his snaps. He had to run, because he got about .5 secs, and obviously that's not he shining skill.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #27
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Oh yes. Thank the good lord we didn't part ways with a fringe scrub NFL qb who very well could have been cut if it weren't for injury. God is watching over us for sure on this one.
LOL. Well, Colt is PJ - this is just the part of his career before his resurrection.

From the Cult of Colt, The Book of zorn, Chapter 2: "And yea, Colt descended into the IR only to rise again in the next year."
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #28
T.O.Killa
The Starter

This is the best case scenario, they keep Colt and Daniel and next year they fight for second and third string
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
hooskins

I honestly don't want to see a player perform poorly, but I was happy we got to see Colt properly this year. And Cult members got to see his true colors. I don't know how there was a lot of positive from him.

If anything, Colt was extremely disappointing. Going from competing for number 2 to struggle for the squad. In his second year he got more time to absorb the offense and he looked worst. Obviously it was preseason, but the coaches saw similar in camp and practice too.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
GMScud
Swearinger

Not that Colt has a big salary, but out of curiosity, how does the IR work with the salary cap?

I'm assuming a player who goes down for the year is still paid his base salary, however he's not on the 53 man any longer. My guess is the salary still counts against the cap, but I'd love to know the exact rule (Schneed? Canuk?).