Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

biggest concerns going into the new season:

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: biggest concerns going into the new season:

DB. Rogers is not 100% and I'm not convinced on D. Hall, he still makes stupid personal fouls at critical times of the game and gets burned. Smoot had a great camp and let's hope he doesn't revert to playing like last year. I think we'll miss Springs more than we think.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Special teams, injuries along the OL and Zorn's play calling.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
Mechanix544
The Starter

Definitely Suisham......pitiful old Suisham. How long is it gonna be until they realize that this guy sucks donkey rod, any kicker is better than this guy. I guess he'll have to give away 2 more games to get the boot.

Also, the inability, or, excuse me, the lack of effort in trying to get plays over 15 yards this season. We HAVE to open the field up, especially if we want Portis to be among the Leagues Elite again.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #19
Jay Schroeder
Special Teams

O LINE

then secondary

then pass rush

then JC
Jay Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
diehard
The Starter

Overall, we're good. Every team has concerns.
diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
FRPLG
MVP

Pass protection pass protection pass protection.

I have other concerns but this is the one we know has existed and there isn't much of a backup plan for.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
redskinfan401
Camp Scrub

1. Samuels MUST stay healthy

2. Punt/Kick coverage
redskinfan401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mrusmc View Post
I'm not sure if this topic has been brought up before lately, but I thought that I would start up a thread to discuss some areas of concern.

Something that has troubled me during the preseason is the inability to cover well in punt and kick-off coverages. Look for this to be a serious problem, and one that will no doubtably irritate Danny Smith, and us fans. But, it seemed too often that our special teams were allowing other teams to return a kick-off or punt around the 40 yard line. And most notably was the inability to make a first contact tackle.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this, and maybe what I saw was a faux problem.

Did anyone else see this, and what other areas of concerns do ye haveth?
I wouldn't worry so much about our special teams; at least not yet. They sucked last year in the preseason too. We have alot of back ups, who as you know, compete for a spot by playing special teams. Alot of those guys you saw missing tackles and stuff have been cut and Danny Smith has evaluated everyone enough to get the right guys into the right place. At least thats what happened last year. I don't see why it would be different this year.
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Take this with a grain of salt, or read it as coach speak, But here is a good article on Zorn's take of this question:

Zorn on radio - Redskins 360 - Washington Times
Quote:
*On keeping 10 offensive linemen: "We did stay a little bit heavy in our o line choices. We liked Edwin Williams. He's probably the furthest away but he has potential. We like D'Anthony Batiste and he can spell Chris at left tackle if needed. Mike Williams didn't quite have the training camp we needed him to have but he's coming on."

*On offensive line depth: "If we had to wholesale change the line, we might suffer. But if we can spot a guy if a guy gets nicked up, the other veterans will help make that a minimal weakness. We could spot 1-2 guys maybe."
He doesn't sound one hundred percent sold, I think this is an honest description

Quote:
*On choosing Andre Woodson over Chase Daniel: "I did tell Chase Daniel I was going to sign him as our practice squad guy but I also told him this: My next sentence was that I wanted to reserve the right to look at the list and see who else is out there. I didn't know Andre Woodson was going to be exposed. We had a chance to get him and try to work with him so we chose it."
according to this I would read it like we didn't ask Chase back...
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
redskinslick
Camp Scrub

Game wining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
redskinslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #26
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mrusmc View Post
Something that has troubled me during the preseason is the inability to cover well in punt and kick-off coverages. Look for this to be a serious problem, and one that will no doubtably irritate Danny Smith, and us fans. But, it seemed too often that our special teams were allowing other teams to return a kick-off or punt around the 40 yard line. And most notably was the inability to make a first contact tackle.
I think most of your issues will be cleared up, we had tons of people playing teams that are no longer on the team. During the preseason they let anyone/everyone try to prove themselves on teams, most of whom arent ever gonna see the field in a real game.

Great thread though, Im gonna go with defensive backs. Gtripp wrote a great article recently that touched on this, so Im really just agreeing. Hopefully Rogers injury is ok, and he can contribute. Smoot is an adequate nickel corner IMO, but if either Rogers/Hall gets hurt, Smoot as a starter would hurt. I also dont think Tryon/Barnes/Westbrook(in that order) are ready to contribute either. Hopefully we can stay healthy, if so I feel like our defense should create lots of problems for our opponents.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, or read it as coach speak, But here is a good article on Zorn's take of this question:

Zorn on radio - Redskins 360 - Washington Times

He doesn't sound one hundred percent sold, I think this is an honest description

according to this I would read it like we didn't ask Chase back...
I heard Larry Weisman or someone, can't say who it was for sure, say that the Redskins were "lukewarm" on Chase. I think the fans were more impressed than the staff and Zorn actually preferred Woodson's size and potential over Daniel. I don't think any tears are being shed over his departure.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I heard Larry Weisman or someone, can't say who it was for sure, say that the Redskins were "lukewarm" on Chase. I think the fans were more impressed than the staff and Zorn actually preferred Woodson's size and potential over Daniel. I don't think any tears are being shed over his departure.
Well, I think you are forgetting about Smoot's He said he was away all weekend. :yeahright
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Well, I think you are forgetting about Smoot's He said he was away all weekend. :yeahright
I apologize to SS. I think he understands though.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #30
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
DB. Rogers is not 100% and I'm not convinced on D. Hall, he still makes stupid personal fouls at critical times of the game and gets burned. Smoot had a great camp and let's hope he doesn't revert to playing like last year. I think we'll miss Springs more than we think.
yeah I guess this is my biggest concern as well (besides o line, JC and zorn playcalling).

carlos has just started practicing (right?) and d hall takes risks trying to get picks. he said on his blog/website that he is going to set the nfl record for interceptions this year and he is going to be anticipating and trying to step in front of every ball thrown his way. i like the confidence, just wish he wasnt so hell bent on interceptions at the risk of missing the play on the ball and hoping another defender is in position to make the tackle.

i dont mind gambles as long as they are calculated. sounds like hall is going to gamble every chance he gets regardless of the score, game clock, field position or whether he has help.

seems like we have 2 no. 2 corners and not a true no. 1 corner since springs left. even if springs played sparingly to elongate his career and avoid getting a major injury for a franchise that has shunned him for the past few years.

go skins!!