Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
roth74va
Special Teams

Re: Smoke Signals: Rock Cartwright needs to get over it edition

You guys know Im a Rock fan, and I still appreciate his contributions. BUT.......this is pathetic. Is this guy smoking the good stuff or what? I cant believe the attitude that this guy suddenly has, or what he thinks he deserves. He isnt a good RB, he is a third back guy, that makes a living playing well on special teams. He has had the opportunity to step up, and has continually fallen short. He isnt explosive as a KR man, Id much rather see Thomas back there returning kicks. Bunch of overpaid babies, if you want to play more step your game up, if you cant do that STFU. Im gonna predict this is his last year with us, they almost replaced him this year, Id bet money they find someone else next year.
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
You guys know Im a Rock fan, and I still appreciate his contributions. BUT.......this is pathetic. Is this guy smoking the good stuff or what? I cant believe the attitude that this guy suddenly has, or what he thinks he deserves. He isnt a good RB, he is a third back guy, that makes a living playing well on special teams. He has had the opportunity to step up, and has continually fallen short. He isnt explosive as a KR man, Id much rather see Thomas back there returning kicks. Bunch of overpaid babies, if you want to play more step your game up, if you cant do that STFU. Im gonna predict this is his last year with us, they almost replaced him this year, Id bet money they find someone else next year.
Rock's comments make me think that he fails to appreciate your point. I'm not sure that he is aware that he almost didn't make it this year.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #33
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Keeping Mason over Dorsey or Aldridge still doesn't make sense to me. He's not a change of pace, he doesn't play teams, Betts is the 3rd down back, so when is Mason going to see the field??
I'm probably one of the biggest and loudest Mason fans over the off season, but I have to totally agree with you. If they were looking for a change of pace Mason is not it. He's a younger, healthier, hungryer Betts. Someone I thought could be groomed for the future. I am glad they kept him but I'm baffled.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #34
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Rock's comments make me think that he fails to appreciate your point. I'm not sure that he is aware that he almost didn't make it this year.
Yup, which is pretty sad IMO. He acts like someone owes him something, but.....most of them do the same thing. Your getting PAID, just be quiet and do your thing. If you want more playing time, get your ass in gear.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #35
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm probably one of the biggest and loudest Mason fans over the off season, but I have to totally agree with you. If they were looking for a change of pace Mason is not it. He's a younger, healthier, hungryer Betts. Someone I thought could be groomed for the future. I am glad they kept him but I'm baffled.
Your right, no way is Mason a change of pace. I know it doesnt fix anything this year, but Id bet you get your wish come next year. Betts and Rock will both be gone, and we can finally get our "change of pace".
Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
MCWHITEY

Should've kept hackett. At least he knows how to catch and be in a position to catch the ball, unlike the blind (kelly) leading the blind (thomas)
MCWHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWHITEY View Post
Should've kept hackett. At least he knows how to catch and be in a position to catch the ball, unlike the blind (kelly) leading the blind (thomas)
You are now in the running for mindless post of the week. Well done!
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCWHITEY View Post
Welcome to the board scrub, way to represent!!! And for the record, this post is comical.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
Rock has been pissed ever since they brought Mason on this team and rightfully so. He's worked hard to get where he's at and he gets no appreciation for it. I mean, seriously, would you guys really want Antonio Brown back on this team returning kicks? You know, the guy that would blow kisses at his defenders while running down the field?

Rock has been steady at returning for us for three years now. We didn't have a good kick returner for a while once we cut Brian Mitchell. The guys that took his place f'ed it all up! Like the ball hitting Deon Sanders in the head! Or averaging 20-23 yards a return with four different guys returning kicks. Or the fumbles.

Rock has averaged 25+ returning kicks with NO fumbles. He has made our once unstable kick returns stable. He's been at the top of the returners list for three straight years. People should recognize that and appreicate it. Its hard to get a good solid return guy. But we got one in Rock. I don't understand what is so bad about that. I mean, how bad would it suck if we let Alridge return a kick for us during an actual game? Geez, That guy doesn't even know which arm to carry the ball with OR to take a knee when you catch a ball FIVE YARDS DEEP IN THE END ZONE!!! Letting him do something like that would be even worse than benching Jason Campbell in favor of Brett Favre.
1st point: I'm not sure why that would be? Rocks RB skills are no better then the TTB. In other words he has no skills on offense as a RB. All of his knowledge and ability is on ST's which Mason sucks at. He should not feel threatened cause no one has proven they can actually challenge him for the job. I think we can all agree that Portis, Betts, and Cartwright are not the future. Only cause they all are almost 30y/o. They will not be on this team much longer. If your only good at one thing then you better be damn good at the one thing. He should be happy he is. He's never going to be the #1 back of any team. Move on Rock.

2nd point: Yes he has been steady for several yrs now....like 6 to be exact. He steadily gets us to the 20 or 30yrd line every KR. No further. Unless the other team has a crappy Kicker. I also think it's partly the scheme or blocking.

3rd point: I think it all depends on what list your looking at? Yes he was 6th or 7th in total yrds, but if you look at yrds per carry he's tied at 22nd with 25.6 yrds per carry.

NFL Stats: by Player Position
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #40
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Yes he was 6th or 7th in total yrds, but if you look at yrds per carry he's tied at 22nd with 25.6 yrds per carry.
Who cares about total yards, one guy could have 30 more KR's than the other. Average shows his real standing, and he is steady, but far from spectacular.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #41
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
1st point: I'm not sure why that would be? Rocks RB skills are no better then the TTB. In other words he has no skills on offense as a RB. All of his knowledge and ability is on ST's which Mason sucks at. He should not feel threatened cause no one has proven they can actually challenge him for the job. I think we can all agree that Portis, Betts, and Cartwright are not the future. Only cause they all are almost 30y/o. They will not be on this team much longer. If your only good at one thing then you better be damn good at the one thing. He should be happy he is. He's never going to be the #1 back of any team. Move on Rock.
Rock will survive. He's the special teams cockroach only more likeable

Quote:
2nd point: Yes he has been steady for several yrs now....like 6 to be exact. He steadily gets us to the 20 or 30yrd line every KR. No further. Unless the other team has a crappy Kicker. I also think it's partly the scheme or blocking.
He consistently makes good decisions, and keeps us away from the goal line.

Quote:
3rd point: I think it all depends on what list your looking at? Yes he was 6th or 7th in total yrds, but if you look at yrds per carry he's tied at 22nd with 25.6 yrds per carry.
I think it was pointed out before, that when you sort the list and get him as 22nd, you are including people with less then a minimum number of returns, like #4 on the list-Reuben Droughns, 1 return, 34 yds. Not really accurate for this discussion. But I would encourage you to sort that list by 40+ yard returns, and then compare his spot, and if you want to look further, look at where his 20+ returns put him with those who are tied for his spot when you sort that way. You might be surprised.

Paraphrasing MattyK Rock has griped before, but when he steps on the field he will give you everything he's got.

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

one other stat, if you sort the list by number of KR's 20+yds, Rock is number 4. Number 1 has 3 fumbles, Number 2 and 3 have 1 fumble, and you guessed it Rock has 0 fumbles.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #43
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
one other stat, if you sort the list by number of KR's 20+yds, Rock is number 4. Number 1 has 3 fumbles, Number 2 and 3 have 1 fumble, and you guessed it Rock has 0 fumbles.
So....of the returners with 20+ returns last year, where does his average rank? And yeah, fumbles are pretty important....ask Alridge, lol.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
So....of the returners with 20+ returns last year, where does his average rank? And yeah, fumbles are pretty important....ask Alridge, lol.
If I count right, he is 9th. There are 2 guys, one with 13, and one with 16 who are also above him, so I think it is safe to say he is in the top 3rd of the kickoff returners. I think that along with; with his #4 ranking in kickoff returns over 20yds, and no fumbles, and he is tied for the 10th spot in kickoff returns over 40 yds, and 7 of those guys (note 15 total including ties) did not have a TD return either - shows he is a top notch ST baller.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #45
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Excellent points.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote