Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Alex Smith?
Yes 50 58.14%
No 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #196
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
Alex Smith is clearly the best QB the Redskins could've picked up in this offseason. No way Kirk was signing a LTD with us. Just get over that fact. Nobody likes the idea of giving up Kendall Fuller - I sure don't, but do you really think KC was willing to give up Alex Smith for a ham sandwich? (Well, maybe Andy Reid would've taken the ham sandwich as well!)
Yep, I love the move I don't see why anyone would be against this.. 3rd round pick but we will get a pick back when kirk walks.

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #197
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Bro this is a WIN NOW league, we all know this.. Yeah it sucks losing Fuller (who apparently didn't even know) but its the NFL in today's world.. You can replace a CB much easier than a QB..
First off, you are not replacing your QB. That's up for debate, and I'll be pretty clear where I stand on that debate. An aging Alex Smith is no KC. I do not think he will put up numbers or play with the efficiency as KC in this offense. Jay Gruden has some work to do.

Quote:
Would you rather have KF and Colt Mccoy starting or some rookie that is a huge ? Not me, I am tired of the "we will just ride it out" No I want to start winning now, and so does Jay.
Short answer Yes. We will find out how this works. I would have used the extra dough from KC departure to sign a VET and draft a QB. Sucks, but you can always land a Dak Prescott, Russel Wilson, KC, later in the draft.

Ready to start winning now? This move won't do it. Bottom line our team got worse.

Ask yourself this question. Do you see a team like the Patriots or Eagles trading a high draft pick and/or a young defensive rising star under team control for a JAG at QB? I won't wait for your answer, it's absolutely not. But the Redskins will be doing it twice in eight years.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #198
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

OK, so is this thing with Fuller confirmed? If so, I fucking hate this.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #199
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Thinking about it, this is actually the best option the front office had. For one, they knew they were not going to keep KC at the price they wanted. So if KC walked in FA, Washington does not get any compensation.

When KC left in FA, what were the options? Overpay for Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater?

This path was the best option. They get a proven veteran at the price they can manage. They also get a compensatory pick. Something they would not have gotten had KC left as a free agent.

It was not a 'blockbuster' but it was the best option available. Best news is they ended the Cousins drama before it could get another head of steam.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #200
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
First off, you are not replacing your QB. That's up for debate, and I'll be pretty clear where I stand on that debate. An aging Alex Smith is no KC. I do not think he will put up numbers or play with the efficiency as KC in this offense. Jay Gruden has some work to do.

Short answer Yes. We will find out how this works. I would have used the extra dough from KC departure to sign a VET and draft a QB. Sucks, but you can always land a Dak Prescott, Russel Wilson, KC, later in the draft.

Ready to start winning now? This move won't do it. Bottom line our team got worse.

Ask yourself this question. Do you see a team like the Patriots or Eagles trading a high draft pick and/or a young defensive rising star under team control for a JAG at QB? I won't wait for your answer, it's absolutely not. But the Redskins will be doing it twice in eight years.

Good post and I wanted to draft a QB like Mayfield who I think is the next RW, but I think the team knew they wouldn't get Baker or Allen, now you have a guy that can win you games and he doesn't turn the ball over at all.

Eagles let all of their talent go when they let shady and co. walk away but they struck gold with Wentz, that is luck. It sucks losing Fuller but I'd rather have a QB man.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #201
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Bro this is a WIN NOW league, we all know this.. Yeah it sucks losing Fuller (who apparently didn't even know) but its the NFL in today's world.. You can replace a CB much easier than a QB..

Would you rather have KF and Colt Mccoy starting or some rookie that is a huge ? Not me, I am tired of the "we will just ride it out" No I want to start winning now, and so does Jay.
We went 7-9 this year. We put Smith under center for last season does the pendulum swing at all? I just don't see it. I am not sure how this move gets us any closer to the playoffs let alone vying for a division title.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:36 AM   #202
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Redskins Trade for Alex Smith

We've got a proven QB for 5 years at a reasonable price. That's a good move.

Somebody said a 3rd for KC is definitely a loss, but we were not getting anything other than that, and bottom line we got him with a 4th, paid him his salary, and now we get a 3rd back. It's more of a wash then a loss. Had he panned out here great, but he didn't and we get our pick back.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #203
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Fuller is a player that's on the upswing. You simply can not trade a young, corner that you drafted for an old QB that doesn't throw downfield. So yes as I said, Colt could most likely do what Smith does. They should have went w/ Colt, signed a vet, keep the draft pick. They could have grabbed a QB in the 3rd round. Smith isn't taking you all the way anyway. This is Bruce Allen's way of doing business. Piss away draft picks just like his dad.

Smith was the best deep ball QB last year. He led the league in yards and passer rating on deep throws.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #204
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Thinking about it, this is actually the best option the front office had. For one, they knew they were not going to keep KC at the price they wanted. So if KC walked in FA, Washington does not get any compensation.

When KC left in FA, what were the options? Overpay for Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater?

This path was the best option. They get a proven veteran at the price they can manage. They also get a compensatory pick. Something they would not have gotten had KC left as a free agent.

It was not a 'blockbuster' but it was the best option available. Best news is they ended the Cousins drama before it could get another head of steam.
Agree with all of this
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #205
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

So Smith would have been a free agent and we're trading away the best slot corner in the league AND giving up a pick?

I'm back and forth on this trade without the Fuller inclusion. I think Cousins might have priced himself out of the market, so the Smith deal MIGHT have made sense.

Argh, Redskins.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #206
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Smith was the best deep ball QB last year. He led the league in yards and passer rating on deep throws.
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards
Old 01-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #207
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
So Smith would have been a free agent and we're trading away the best slot corner in the league AND giving up a pick?

I'm back and forth on this trade without the Fuller inclusion. I think Cousins might have priced himself out of the market, so the Smith deal MIGHT have made sense.

Argh, Redskins.
He wasn't a FA
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #208
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

Argh, Redskins.
Smith wasn't going to be a free agent, Cleveland was in talks with KC, and probably others. Someone was trading for him.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #209
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

AHHhHHH, my fault. Totally thought he was going to be available.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #210
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Argh, Redskins.
The back breaker is Fuller. Its pure incompetence...absolutely no excuse.

The decision makers once again fucked us.

If Alex Smith was on this team last year he would have been abysmal.

I cant stress this enough, our top fucking focus isn't defense, nor WR, nor special teams.......if we don't fix the run game this offseason, double digit losses next year. Draft a RB , pay a free agent and pay/draft a LG.

pin this, time stamp it. double digit losses if we don't fix the running game.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote