Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Look Back: The 2001 Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

A Look Back: The 2001 Draft

Although I often complain about Daniel Snyder, I must admit that the Redskins have drafted very well during Snyder’s tenure as owner of our beloved franchise. Some people say Rod Gardner is not that good of a receiver and even more claim that the Redskins have not drafted well in the later rounds the past couple of years. I could not disagree more.

Considering that Snyder has had a role in drafting Patrick Ramsey (over the objections of Steve Spurrier) in the first round, Derrick Dockery (who I think Joe Bugel will turn into an excellent run-blocking guard this year) in the third round, Darnerien McCants in the fifth round, and Rock Cartwright in the seventh round, I’d say Danny Boy has done a pretty good job at bringing talent to D.C. not only through free agency, but also through the draft (that is, when we have draft picks).

Just consider the 2001 draft as an example of Snyders’ ability to draft quality players.

With their first pick (#15 overall), the Redskins selected Rod Gardner. Though many gripe about how Rod Gardner is not that good of a receiver, I think he was an excellent choice. Gardner has the third most receptions and receiving yards (only Koren Robinson and Chad Johnson have more) and has scored more touchdowns in his career than any other wide receiver selected in the 2001 draft. He achieved such accomplishments despite lining up against our opponents top corners, being coached poorly, and enduring perennial quarterback, coaching, and scheme changes. Does anyone remember how Gardner was the only receiver open on a fairly regular basis in 2002?

Consider the other receivers drafted in 2001 at or after the 15th overall pick (Washington’s first rounder). As alternatives to Rod Gardner in 2001, we could have chosen Santana Moss, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, or Quincy Morgan. Santana Moss had a breakout season last year, but has yet to show that he is consistent enough to be called a true top wideout. Freddie Mitchell has been a bust in Philadelphia. Reggie Wayne is a decent #2 receiver, but then again he has had Marvin Harrison drawing double and even triple teams, Peyton Manning throwing to him, and Edggerin James drawing the Colts’ opponents’ defenses closer to the line of scrimmage. Quincy Morgan is also a decent receiver, but can hardly be considered elite. Chad Johnson is the only receiver drafted in 2001 at or after the 15th overall pick that has developed into a true #1 wideout (having produced 2,850 yards, 16 TDs, 15.2 ypc, and 187 receptions).

In sum, in hindsight, Chad Johnson was definitely the best receiver to come out of the 2001 draft, but I would say there is a strong argument to be made that Gardner was the runner-up. At #15, considering the other wideouts available, I think Gardner was a good pick. He certainly is not a bust.

With their second pick (#45 overall), the Redskins selected Fred Smoot. In my opinion, Fred Smoot is the best cornerback to come out of the 2001 draft. Smoot has more interceptions (13) and tackles (129) than any other corner in his draft class. Though statistics are not everything when it comes to assessing corners, Smoot was a very good choice by the Redskins and has developed into a solid starting cornerback.

Will Allen (#22 overall), Willie Middlebrooks (#24 overall), and Jamar Fletcher (#26 overall) were chosen before Fred Smoot. While Will Allen is a very good young corner, Middlebrooks and Fletcher have both turned out to be busts. Chosen after Smoot (in rounds two and three) were corners Michael Stone (#54 overall), Andre Dyson (#60 overall), and Tay Cody (#67 overall). Andre Dyson is a decent young corner, but Michael Stone and Tay Cody have been unproductive.

Though us Skins’ fans have been spoiled by Champ Bailey, Fred Smoot is a darn good corner. Is Smoot a Pro-Bowl quality player? Not yet. Is he a bust? No way. Was Smoot the best corner taken in the 2001 draft’s second round? Certainly. Was Smoot a good choice? Without question.

With the 109th overall pick, the Redskins selected quarterback Sage Rosenfels. Okay, Rosenfels never threw a single ball in a regular season game for the Redskins. Was he a bust? Yes. But, considering he was the 109th player drafted (Jesse Palmer, Mike McMahon, Josh Booty were the other quarterbacks drafted in the mid-late rounds), a bust is not a serious loss of money or opportunity.

With the 154th overall selection, the Redskins drafted tight-end turned wideout Darnerien McCants. Considering Vinny Sutherland (#136 overall), Alex Bannister (#140 overall), Scotty Anderson (#148 overall) and Onome Ojo (#153) were receivers all selected before McCants, I think he was an excellent pick. Anytime you develop a fifth rounder into a red-zone threat and solid #3 wideout, you made out like a bandit.

With the 186th pick, we drafted DT Mario Monds. Okay, he’s a bust.

In sum, I think Danny Boy did a very good job in 2001. Though others had a role in deciding who the Redskins drafted, the buck stops at Danny’s feet and he has to be given some credit.

OTHER QUICK DRAFT GRADES:
The 2004 and 2003 drafts are too recent to assess how well we drafted but Sean Taylor (#5 overall) is a good pick, Chris Cooley (#81 overall) seems like a perfect fit for the ‘Skins, and Derrick Dockery (#81 overall) will become a run-blocking monster this year under the tutelage of Joe Bugel.

Some 2002 draft Picks:
#32 overall-Patrick Ramsey, TREMENDOUS value at #32 (A+)
#56 overall-Ladell Betts, the jury is out but he has showed some promise when healthy (B-)
#87 overall – Clifford Russell, we haven’t seen any of him in the regular season (Incomplete)
#160 overall – Robert Royal, he has showed potential when healthy (C)
#257 overall – Rock Cartwright VERY GOOD value as a late seventh round pick (B+)

Last edited by Sheriff Gonna Getcha; 06-24-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote