Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If I were G.M.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-29-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE
I'm getting in on this thread late, but I heartily agree with its originator that we've botched a lot of decisions in the offseason. I have a tremendous amount of belief in Gibbs as a coach, but not as a GM. If they had followed through and got Bobby Beathard to fill that position, he probably would have stepped in at some point and said, "You know what, Joe, I'm sorry, maybe twelve tight ends is enough. Let's find some defensive linemen."

How many Tight Ends can we possibly use? How many wide receivers? How many running backs? Unless we're plannnig on fielding the offenses for both teams this year, I think we've invested a little too heavily in those positions. (Meanwhile, we're reportedly going after yet another tight end right now. It's like that Fillipino first lady and shoes.) Some of this money could have gone to a big, beefy run-stopper, or resigning Smoot.
It's called the offseason roster. EVERY team overstocks on some positions, just to see who breaks out from the crowd. Just because we are overloaded at TE (or any other position) now doesn't mean we will be when the season starts.
Also, there is virtually no fullback in Gibbs' offense. The H-back fills that void, and players who will play that position can be listed as a TE or FB. It just happens that most of the ones we have are TE's.

Last edited by BrudLee; 06-29-2004 at 03:24 PM.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE
I'm getting in on this thread late, but I heartily agree with its originator that we've botched a lot of decisions in the offseason. I have a tremendous amount of belief in Gibbs as a coach, but not as a GM. If they had followed through and got Bobby Beathard to fill that position, he probably would have stepped in at some point and said, "You know what, Joe, I'm sorry, maybe twelve tight ends is enough. Let's find some defensive linemen."

How many Tight Ends can we possibly use? How many wide receivers? How many running backs? Unless we're plannnig on fielding the offenses for both teams this year, I think we've invested a little too heavily in those positions. (Meanwhile, we're reportedly going after yet another tight end right now. It's like that Fillipino first lady and shoes.) Some of this money could have gone to a big, beefy run-stopper, or resigning Smoot.
In Defense of Joe Gibbs - we have seven TE's on the roster now, and will likely run a lot of multiple TE sets. By the way, those TE's include some likely cuts. I sincerely doubt more than five will make the roster of 53 - and as SkinsRock said, the H-back is an offshoot of the TE anyway.

It should also be noted that the highest paid TE on the roster makes league minimum, so we aren't killing ourselves here.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:09 AM   #3
That Guy
Living Legend

I think it was 2 seasons at minimum, but you DON'T want to trade champ + a pick for a star RB, and then piss on that RB... we traded a lot to get him, and I think the staff figured, it'd be better to make sure he's happy with the team etc... and try to keep him here for a long time. (rightfully so)
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote