Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Current 2014 Free Agents

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #616
Irrefutable
The Starter

Re: Current 2014 Free Agents

new name MLB/ OLB 6-2 250 Vinny Rey from Cincinnati, he has only started a few games but had great stats

2013/ started 3 games/ 57 tackles/ 4 sacks / 2 interceptions

Gruden should be familiar with him

Last edited by Irrefutable; 03-01-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #617
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Everything u just said is spot on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #618
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

The Redskins would be crazy not to franchise him if they can't reach a long term deal by tomorrow. Yes it's a lot but the cost in terms of money, time and risk of replacement are far greater. You don't just sign 'a few mid level players' and hope to cobble together the expected production of one if your better players. He's not a top 5 OLB or a budding hall of famer but he's better than anyone else we would trot out there to replace him next fall. This organization dives me nuts, smdh.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #619
mredskins
MVP

In the last two seasons the best run our defense had was when Rank was out. I think we can live out him if he is asking to much.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #620
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I think the decision on Orakpo should be based on two things:

1. Are we rebuilding?

Once that is answered, then:

2. What, not who, is our Top Priority?

I think we are rebuilding because we were 3-13 last season, we have a developing young QB, we have a new GM and a new, first-time, HC, and Bruce Allen said wants to add 20 new players during the off-season.

If we're rebuilding, then what is our Top Priority? I think that would probably be protecting our investment in RGIII by improving our pass protection so that he can better develop as a pocket passer. Of course, that means rebuilding the OL first.

I don't think the debate on whether or not to franchise Orakpo is as much about his worth as it is about where we stand as a team and what area of the team we need to focus on improving first. I would guess that if Orakpo is not franchised, then we should expect the Skins to bring in two or even three well regarded OL in FA.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #621
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Holy fucking christ. Fans are fucking moronic. I just had a Skins fan say that Orakpo was good in coverage because PFF had him the #2 rated OLB in coverage.
Well he's certainly not a bum either.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #622
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

1. Are we rebuilding?

I think we are rebuilding because we were 3-13 last season, we have a developing young QB, we have a new GM and a new, first-time, HC, and Bruce Allen said wants to add 20 new players during the off-season.

If we're rebuilding, then what is our Top Priority? I think that would probably be protecting our investment in RGIII by improving our pass protection so that he can better develop as a pocket passer. Of course, that means rebuilding the OL first.

I don't think the debate on whether or not to franchise Orakpo is as much about his worth as it is about where we stand as a team and what area of the team we need to focus on improving first. I would guess that if Orakpo is not franchised, then we should expect the Skins to bring in two or even three well regarded OL in FA.
You know, that's a fair assessment. If we are indeed fully committing to rebuilding (which I don't think we are) then I agree that we shouldn't sink that many resources into one player that's not RGIII related. However, I don't think that's the case here. We committed to a 30 year old CB just 2 weeks ago. Granted, it's at small dollars but still, it shows we are not going the route of the Jaguars and trying to get rid of all big $ contracts to rebuild. This smacks of, once again, too many voices, too many opinions, too much dysfunction in the front office to make a sound decision without all the laundry being aired in the media.

The money to sign Rak against the cap (or at least a good percentage of it) can be offset by cutting Carriker, Bowen, Rocca - players that won't won't be there likely anyways. There's something else going on here, it can't just be about the money.

What's embarrassing is that the 'united message' from Gruden, Allen, Haslett is that Orakpo is our "#1 priority". We're going to look like idiots if we let him walk without franchising, transitioning or re-signing him.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #623
MTK
\m/

For those against signing Rak, what do we do with Kerrigan once his rookie deal is up? He's putting up similar numbers and will likely demand a hefty contract too. So do we just let him walk as well?

For once it would be nice to focus on our own free agents vs chasing everyone else's.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #624
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

There is talk of replacing the whole O-Line except one player.
We have no replacement for Fletcher.
With the exception of Hall we need to rework the entire secondary.
WE need to make a change at DT.
We need another "real" receiver.

How is that NOT rebuilding?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #625
MTK
\m/

In order to "rebuild", doesn't that kinda imply you were already "built" at some point? LOL

Whatever you want to call it we're definitely in need of talent in a lot of areas. But I do think with some smart moves and a good draft we can quickly be competitive again.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #626
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
For those against signing Rak, what do we do with Kerrigan once his rookie deal is up? He's putting up similar numbers and will likely demand a hefty contract too. So do we just let him walk as well?

For once it would be nice to focus on our own free agents vs chasing everyone else's.
Between the two Kerrigan is much more of an impact player IMO. I'm on the side of wanting Orakpo back at the right price, but Seattle has shown pass rushers can be had for reasonable prices. Kerrigan is always on the field and he constantly forces more turnovers.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #627
redskins5044
Playmaker

Very true, maybe they are choosing Kerrigan over Rak then. You cant tie that much money into two OLB's when its time to pay Kerrigan. I would like us to keep our own FA's too, but I don't see the difference in over paying for one of your own FA's v.s. someone else's.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #628
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post

The money to sign Rak against the cap (or at least a good percentage of it) can be offset by cutting Carriker, Bowen, Rocca - players that won't won't be there likely anyways. There's something else going on here, it can't just be about the money.

I think it's the no GEICO ads addendum holding it up!
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #629
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

1. Are we rebuilding?

Only teams without a QB are rebuilding. If RG3 is a bust, we're starting over whether Orakpo is on the roster or not. 3-13 doesn't necessarily mean they're rebuilding. The same roster went 10-6 and won the division the year before. The Defense was terrible with him, so how much worse can it be without him. He's injury prone and has like negative 3 sacks in divisional games. This team can't afford to overpay anyone. Let him hit free agency.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #630
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
In order to "rebuild", doesn't that kinda imply you were already "built" at some point? LOL

Whatever you want to call it we're definitely in need of talent in a lot of areas. But I do think with some smart moves and a good draft we can quickly be competitive again.

Yeah 1 Div win in the last 12 plus years means u never built anything