Jack Del Rio Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Jack Del Rio Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I enjoy hitting as much as the next guy, used to love those bone-shaking hits Sean Taylor laid out back in the day. But this ain't Sean Taylor's NFL anymore, even big hits where the defender leads with the shoulder are getting penalized. I think the NFL is trying to regulate big hits out of the game.

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 04:04 PM   #17
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
I enjoy hitting as much as the next guy, used to love those bone-shaking hits Sean Taylor laid out back in the day. But this ain't Sean Taylor's NFL anymore, even big hits where the defender leads with the shoulder are getting penalized. I think the NFL is trying to regulate big hits out of the game.
You're right, but Rivera's teams have always played with an edge and an attitude, in a good way.

Del Rio's too, always through the whistle.

I think we have the personalities on defense in Allen, Payne, Sweat, Ioannidas, and Anderson to fit right in with the coaching mentality.

BS is a dog and even Flowers plays with a chip.

I'm really diggin it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
Defensewins
Playmaker

We finally have professionals running the defense. It has been a long time since I could say that. The coaching and strategy on defensive side of the ball has been terrible for so long on this team, I could not watch. I used to yell at the TV all game. Real basic shit. Not sure why or why it took so long to get fixed. The only thing I can think of is we finally have some talent (especially on the D-line) that could attract a good coach. I remember Wade Phillips saying a few years back that he would not come here because we were devoid of talent on Defense. Not anymore.
The draft (#2 pick) could solidify us on defensive line and make us a brick wall with a scary pass rush. Chase Young looks special and I would lean that way in the draft. Offense can be fixed with lower picks and free agency. You cannot pass up the chance to be scary good on defense. We can dictate to opposing offenses.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
rocnrik
Playmaker

Did the redskins hire Jack del rio as DC?? I can’t find the story to that ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
yes

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/12/31...ve-coordinator
Old 12-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
rocnrik
Playmaker

Thank you!! Dang it’s getting better.. wow!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:32 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

One thing is for sure, the Defense will be much improved! The Offense may take some more time seeing as Haskins is still really young and raw but he will get there
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #23
gibbsrcnfan
Camp Scrub

another really good hire I like jack too. leslie frazier I had in mind too..

like what im seeing and again want to see even more positives moving forward..
Old 12-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #24
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
He's the leading candidate. I haven't seen anything that says he's been hired yet. Everyone thought Steve Wilks was the defensive coordinator yesterday, even Wikipedia, and that turned out to be false. We'll see...
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
Warthog
The Starter

Jack Del Rio Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I think the biggest criticism of Manusky has been his defenses have been the opposite of vanilla, they have been so exotic the CB's and LB's were confused and thinking too much.

I also have read what all the other posters have, that he doesn't blitz much at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Manusky’s schemes were complex for the players, but the on-field result was little blitzing or stunting. There was little pressure on the QB and the results were predictably dismal. The Redskins were 27th in defense in 2019.

Jack Del Rio will take Manusky’s dumpster fire and turn this defense around. He’s taken several team’s defenses from near the bottom to very close to the top! We have some talented personnel that just need to be coached, motivated and instructed to reach their potential. I bet a guy like Sweat will double his sacks next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
We finally have professionals running the defense. It has been a long time since I could say that. The coaching and strategy on defensive side of the ball has been terrible for so long on this team, I could not watch. I used to yell at the TV all game. Real basic shit. Not sure why or why it took so long to get fixed. The only thing I can think of is we finally have some talent (especially on the D-line) that could attract a good coach. I remember Wade Phillips saying a few years back that he would not come here because we were devoid of talent on Defense. Not anymore.
The draft (#2 pick) could solidify us on defensive line and make us a brick wall with a scary pass rush. Chase Young looks special and I would lean that way in the draft. Offense can be fixed with lower picks and free agency. You cannot pass up the chance to be scary good on defense. We can dictate to opposing offenses.
Scary good on defense? I think getting this defense back to middle of the pack would be quite an accomplishment.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #27
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Scary good on defense? I think getting this defense back to middle of the pack would be quite an accomplishment.

Jack has taken several defenses from where we are now (27th) to number 2 or 3 in the league. We have very good building block players on defense. Draft Chase Young and you have an elite talent in a key position. Continual pressure makes everyone on the defense look better.

I think that Del Rio could get this squad into the top third of the NFL, with Chase Young, some good draft picks, judicious use of FA in CB and DB. It’s about motivation, discipline, leadership, instruction and and aggressive and imaginative schemes. All which were lacking with Greg Manusky.
We can get into the top third of NFL defenses, in just one season. We can be in the top 5 in 2021. That’s something to get excited about -when was the last time we had an elite defense?

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #28
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I was moreso implying that let's play tough, hardnosed, flying to the ball defense and don't let offenses dictate what they will do. Not actually try and bash peoples brains in.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #29
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Jack has taken several defenses from where we are now (27th) to number 2 or 3 in the league. We have very good building block players on defense. Draft Chase Young and you have an elite talent in a key position. Continual pressure makes everyone on the defense look better. I think that Del Rio could get this squad into the top third of the NFL, with Chase Young, some good draft picks, judicious use of FA in CB and DB. It’s about motivation, discipline, leadership, instruction and and aggressive and imaginative schemes. All which were lacking with Greg Manusky.
We can get into the top third of NFL defenses, in just one season. We can be in the top 5 in 2021. That’s something to get excited about -when was the last time we had an elite defense?
Yes sir. Better coaching and play calling is going to make us instantly better. It is so much easier when players are in the right position, playing solid technique and coached to improve each time they take the field. Young talented players improving...remember that?
We have a good young nucleus, adding Chase Young to: Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat and Tim Settle will create a deep line rotation that combines size, strength and pass rush. Putting Sweat at DE in a 4 man line opposite Chase on pass situations will make Sweat better.

Cut Paul Richardson (post June 1 designation) / $6.5M saved and $2M cap hit.
Cut Jordan Reed / $8.5M saved and $1.8M cap hit.
Cut Ryan Kerrigan / $11.7M saved and $0 cap hit
Cut Josh Norman / $12.5M saved and $3M hit

I would consider keeping Trent Williams if he is healthy, in shape and hungry to play.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #30
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Yes sir. Better coaching and play calling is going to make us instantly better. It is so much easier when players are in the right position, playing solid technique and coached to improve each time they take the field. Young talented players improving...remember that?
We have a good young nucleus, adding Chase Young to: Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Daron Payne, Montez Sweat and Tim Settle will create a deep line rotation that combines size, strength and pass rush. Putting Sweat at DE in a 4 man line opposite Chase on pass situations will make Sweat better.

Cut Paul Richardson (post June 1 designation) / $6.5M saved and $2M cap hit.
Cut Jordan Reed / $8.5M saved and $1.8M cap hit.
Cut Ryan Kerrigan / $11.7M saved and $0 cap hit
Cut Josh Norman / $12.5M saved and $3M hit

I would consider keeping Trent Williams if he is healthy, in shape and hungry to play.
100% agree with everything you said. I would add let's lock up Scherff and Flowers as well.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote