Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Around the NFL Off season thread 2.0

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #31
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Around the NFL Off season thread 2.0

Redskins to Award 1987 Replacement Players with Super Bowl Rings | Bleacher Report

Advertisements
Old 03-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #32
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I like this, better late than never! Kudos to Snyder and the Skins.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #33
MTK
\m/

It’s the right thing to do just sucks it took this long to properly acknowledge them
Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
metalskins
The Starter

Should've been done in 1988, but yes, it's the right thing to do.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Interesting article on the Eagles cap space.
How much cap space do Eagles have after trading for Michael Bennett? | NJ.com

I think Torrey Smith would be an interesting guy to sign if they end up releasing him.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #36
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

I think Torrey Smith would be an interesting guy to sign if they end up releasing him.
If the Eagles are able to repeat, knowing the situation they are in with the cap, then I will never again worry about cap space ever again.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #37
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:

Why does a team like Philadelphia that does EVERYTHING RIGHT and builds a really talented team and win a super bowl, then a year or two later have to get rid talent because of the NFL Salary Cap. The NFL Salary Cap the way it is currently set up is ruining the game. There are not as many top teams as there used to be. The NFL Salary cap is a dynasty team killer. It prevents teams from building a dynasty team and being able to keep it together.
The solution is easy: There should be an exemption for resigning your own players. I get not being able to go over the cap to sign Free Agents. I am fine with that and I get it. But you should be allowed to exceed the cap IF you are signing your own players. If a team has exceeded the Cap to sign their own veterans, they should be prohibited from signing high priced Free Agents.
I am tired of the NFL protecting cheap owners or so called "small market teams".
Before Salary cap we had multiple dynasty type team that coexisted all at the same time.
1) Steelers
2) Redskins
2) 49ers
3) Cowboys
4) Giants
5) Bears

When those dynasty teams played against each other it was amazing to see.
We have a ton of shitty teams.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #38
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Why does a team like Philadelphia that does EVERYTHING RIGHT and builds a really talented team and win a super bowl, then a year or two later have to get rid talent because of the NFL Salary Cap. The NFL Salary Cap the way it is currently set up is ruining the game. There are not as many top teams as there used to be. The NFL Salary cap is a dynasty team killer. It prevents teams from building a dynasty team and being able to keep it together.
The solution is easy: There should be an exemption for resigning your own players. I get not being able to go over the cap to sign Free Agents. I am fine with that and I get it. But you should be allowed to exceed the cap IF you are signing your own players. If a team has exceeded the Cap to sign their own veterans, they should be prohibited from signing high priced Free Agetns.
I am tired of the NFL protecting cheap owners or so called "small market teams".
Before Salary cap we had multiple dynasty type team that coexisted all at the same time.
1) Steelers
2) Redskins
2) 49ers
3) Cowboys
4) Giants
5) Bears
How would that system be structured?
A rookie pool, A "keep our own" pool, and a FA cap?

Or something like a transition tag where a team can match any offer, but then only have a certain amount count against the overall cap?

I doubt the players would go along with either of those concepts because they would claim that the league is prohibiting freedom of movement.

Just curious how you would see it worked out
Old 03-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #39
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

without a cap the NFL would be baseball, and it would get nuts. At least now a days every team has equal playing fields.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 PM   #40
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
The solution is easy: There should be an exemption for resigning your own players. I get not being able to go over the cap to sign Free Agents. I am fine with that and I get it. But you should be allowed to exceed the cap IF you are signing your own players. If a team has exceeded the Cap to sign their own veterans, they should be prohibited from signing high priced Free Agents.
1) Steelers
2) Redskins
2) 49ers
3) Cowboys
4) Giants
5) Bears

When those dynasty teams played against each other it was amazing to see.
We have a ton of shitty teams.
That is exactly what it is meant to do,seems only the Patriots have figured it out.The NFL wants parity through out the league.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #41
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:

Or something like a transition tag where a team can match any offer, but then only have a certain amount count against the overall cap?

I doubt the players would go along with either of those concepts because they would claim that the league is prohibiting freedom of movement.

Keep the Salary Cap System but add a team option exemption to allow teams exceed the cap only to sign their own players. If a team exceeds the cap by signing their own, they are prohibited to sign a high dollar (say more than $1M) Free agent.
IF they want to sign a high dollar >$1M Free agent they then have to get back under the cap to do it. That will prevent the wealthy teams from going nuts in Free Agency which was the original concern.
Do away with Tagging players system so players once they finish their rookie contract can be free agents if they so choose. Or can choose to stay with the team that drafted them, but the team can now pay him market value with out concern of the cap. That will get the players and fans on board because you will not see fan favorites have to change teams because of the cap. Which happens every year.

skinsfaninok - The comparison to Baseball would not apply because a team over the cap cannot sign even moderately paid free agents until they get back under the cap.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I really don't understand, sorry. Is it a dollar for dollar loss of signings. as an example
(approximate numbers)
The eagles are currently 10M over the cap.

Would they be able to sign Bennett under your idea?
If not do they have to cut their players first then be able to sign him?

If the cap remains, it seems like you simply would end up stopping all trades.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #43
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I think a 'keep our own pool' could benefit players, especially the mid-tier players. It would probably make the FA more competitive.

Along with that, players should also be fighting to have a salary cap floor every year, to push cheap teams to spend their cap. Too bad the NFLPA is too busy fighting the league on discipline matters, that only affects a small percentage of teams.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #44
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
That is exactly what it is meant to do,seems only the Patriots have figured it out.The NFL wants parity through out the league.
The Patriots have an elite QB that gets paid as though he was a below average QB (Brady's 2017 salary ranked 18th among starting QBs). Not to discount what Belichick and Brady have done for that team, but I'm sure not having to pay Brady a lot helps.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Andrew Siciliano
@AndrewSiciliano

Titans announce they're releasing RB DeMarco Murray

Anyone interested?
Closed Thread