Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

3 year review : 2013-2016 Drafts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

3 year review : 2013-2016 Drafts

I posted an article about the 2014 draft class, which got me looking back at our past drafts, Bold are on our team, Underlined are still active in the NFL, Italics are waived injured (per Wikipedia).

2013 GM Bruce:
2 51 David Amerson Cornerback NC State
3 85 Jordan Reed Tight End Florida
4 119 Phillip Thomas Safety Fresno State
5 154 Chris Thompson Running Back Florida State
162b Brandon Jenkins Outside Linebacker Florida State
6 191 Bacarri Rambo Safety Georgia
7 228 Jawan Jamison Running Back Rutgers

2014 GM Bruce:
2 47 Trent Murphy Linebacker Stanford
3 66 Morgan Moses Offensive tackle Virginia
78 Spencer Long Offensive guard Nebraska
4 102 Bashaud Breeland Cornerback Clemson
5 142 Ryan Grant Wide receiver Tulane
6 186 Lache Seastrunk Running back Baylor
7 217 Ted Bolser Tight end Indiana
228 Zach Hocker Placekicker Arkansas

2015 GM Scot:
1 5 Brandon Scherff Offensive tackle Iowa
2 38 Preston Smith Defensive end Mississippi State
3 95 Matt Jones Running back Florida
4 105 Jamison Crowder Wide Receiver Duke
112 Arie Kouandjio Guard Alabama
5 141 Martrell Spaight Linebacker Arkansas
6 181 Kyshoen Jarrett Safety Virginia Tech
182 Tevin Mitchel Cornerback Arkansas
187 Evan Spencer Wide Receiver Ohio State
7 222 Austin Reiter Center South Florida

Those are really damn good draft results imo. Not great in round 7, but 1 - 5 the FO, both Bruce and Scot, did good jobs of finding NFL quality players.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: 3 year review : 2013-2016 Drafts

Good post, yes I agree the team has drafted pretty damn good since Trent was selected, look at the 1st round guys we have taken since then? Most are good players, the 2nd and 3rd rounds are also pretty solid guys. Overall we can't really complain anymore about the draft selections.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

The entire draft is a crapshoot, rounds 6-7 are the crappies of the crapshoot. I'd love to see some stats about how many 6-7 round players became solid contributors for the team that drafted them.

I have no complaints about this, it's definitely a better way to grade than doing it the day after the draft. I'm getting all wistful about Kyshoen Jarrett though, damn that one hurt. Hope the nerve damage has faded away and there's no long term effects, even though the last I heard it wasn't optimistic.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I posted an article about the 2014 draft class, which got me looking back at our past drafts, Bold are on our team, Underlined are still active in the NFL, Italics are waived injured (per Wikipedia).

2013 GM Bruce:

2014 GM Bruce:

2015 GM Scot:

Those are really damn good draft results imo. Not great in round 7, but 1 - 5 the FO, both Bruce and Scot, did good jobs of finding NFL quality players.
I have to say, I give Bruce Allen a lot of crap, but looking at those stats, that is pretty good drafting.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Drafts have been noticeably better over past 5 years, and predate Scott. We should be fine if we continue as-is drafting good talent. We seem to be good at the first 5 rounds. Also we seem pretty good at drafting CB/secondary - D.Amerson, Breeland, Fuller. And Montae and F.Moreau seem to be promising.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #6
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post

2013 GM Bruce:

2014 GM Bruce:

2015 GM Scot:

I don't even know how to create a thread, probably a good thing for all of us here, and you open up a research bomb. Nicely played.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:07 AM   #7
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Fantastic post. Bruce has always been in control and been better than anything we’ve had as a de facto GM in decades. I disappointed that we lost fuller (in a trade for the best QB available) and Long (wouldn’t have paid him that money anyways), but the other guys that left, i can live with.

Murphy was our 3rd or 4th OLB. The comp pick we’ll get for him is worth more than his 30% or less snap count plus the salary he would have demanded. The other guys we lost aren’t worth mentioning.

I’m very excited about the next two drafts (even if jay isn’t here next year).
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:15 AM   #8
jamf
Pro Bowl

Our 8-8 seasons are the result of these mediocre drafts.
Maybe Amerson and Jones are considered a good pick to some because they are in the league for the next 15 minutes but the Redskins cut them before their rookie contracts were up, in my book that’s a bad draft pick.

Trent Murphy was a 47th pick overall but only managed a 3 sack per season average for his career with the Redskins. I don’t care what he does with the Bills, he didn’t have an impact with the Redskins who could’ve had a pro bowl impact pass rusher with their original pick(Laurence). This pick bothers me the most probably because we traded with Dallas.

Scherff is great but also a top 5 pick. I guess I’ll gve BA credit for not drafting a kicker 5th overall.

Out of the 2013 and 2014 drafts, only 3/15 players drafted are going to be on the Redskins roster next year. Those 3 players are great players but But two of those players aren’t going to play 16 games next year.

The 2015 is still a bit up in the air.
If Smith goes out and get 12 sacks, then it was a good draft. He shows flashes at times but also disappears for a few weeks at a time.
Crowder is a Solid pick for a 4th. His returning sucks but he is a shifty slot guy.
Kouandjio looks like he has a lot of value and played pretty well but let’s give him more time to make an impact.
Spaight is a special teamer. Nothing special but not a bad 5th rounder. He is a backup linebacker. I think we would be in trouble if he started.

The draft isn’t all bad and I don’t expect every player to be a star but at the same time we need to draft impact players with the early picks and amerson/Murphy/Smith have not made an impact for the redskins.

Please note* I only care about what players do as a Redskin. If the Redskins cut or don’t make a serious attempt to sign a guy then it was a mediocre pick at best. I think this is where we disagree.

******on a tablet and a bit drunk, please excuse typos and stuff
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 AM   #9
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Our 8-8 seasons are the result of these mediocre drafts.
Maybe Amerson and Jones are considered a good pick to some because they are in the league for the next 15 minutes but the Redskins cut them before their rookie contracts were up, in my book that’s a bad draft pick.

Trent Murphy was a 47th pick overall but only managed a 3 sack per season average for his career with the Redskins. I don’t care what he does with the Bills, he didn’t have an impact with the Redskins who could’ve had a pro bowl impact pass rusher with their original pick(Laurence). This pick bothers me the most probably because we traded with Dallas.

Scherff is great but also a top 5 pick. I guess I’ll gve BA credit for not drafting a kicker 5th overall.

Out of the 2013 and 2014 drafts, only 3/15 players drafted are going to be on the Redskins roster next year. Those 3 players are great players but But two of those players aren’t going to play 16 games next year.

The 2015 is still a bit up in the air.
If Smith goes out and get 12 sacks, then it was a good draft. He shows flashes at times but also disappears for a few weeks at a time.
Crowder is a Solid pick for a 4th. His returning sucks but he is a shifty slot guy.
Kouandjio looks like he has a lot of value and played pretty well but let’s give him more time to make an impact.
Spaight is a special teamer. Nothing special but not a bad 5th rounder. He is a backup linebacker. I think we would be in trouble if he started.

The draft isn’t all bad and I don’t expect every player to be a star but at the same time we need to draft impact players with the early picks and amerson/Murphy/Smith have not made an impact for the redskins.

Please note* I only care about what players do as a Redskin. If the Redskins cut or don’t make a serious attempt to sign a guy then it was a mediocre pick at best. I think this is where we disagree.

******on a tablet and a bit drunk, please excuse typos and stuff
This is indeed where we disagree... when it comes to evaluating our drafts.

We can question our FO's decision making when managing players contracts:
Like why on earth wasn't Murphy extended during this season ? Injured, he would have been glad to get a contract, wouldn't he?
Instead we have to let him walk after only one solid contributing season because he's getting a big contract he deserves...
But that still was a good pick. Not retaining good picks is indeed pretty dumb though.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Only 3 guys made it to their 2nd contracts w/ the Redskins from 13 and 14. Not good Bruce.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
GridIron26
Playmaker

2015 seems to be Allen's year; 2014 could be considered as a satisfactory year, depending on who you ask I suppose. I know few players drafted in 2014 went to different teams but I don't think it's entirely Allen's fault, teams overpaid for those players except for Breeland. Do you really want us to match other teams' offer for Long and Murphy? John Keim said we kept in touch with those players, which is a sign that we want to bring them back but obviously once the numbers Long and Murphy came up with are out of Redskins' range set based on their value, Redskins FO deemed it better to let them walk and draft replacements or sign FA players who are cheaper.

It is all about how Redskins value players and positions. Take Patriots as example; they traded away Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins, their top 2 LB pass rushers and both are considered as premier players in NFL. Obviously Belichick didn't think it is worth to spend lot of money on those LB so he traded them.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

I'd call it average drafting, personally, because the lack of a superstar outside of Scherff who really should have been one given where drafted. Reed has been a game changer but unfortunately can't stay healthy often enough.

But there are plenty of players here who can contribute and some contribute quite well. These were decent drafts but you have to be honest in recognizing there is no Richard Sherman in the 5th, etc.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

To emphasize my point, there are no All Pros here. Two players have made the Pro Bowl, Scherff and Reed.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #14
GridIron26
Playmaker

Also 2015 draft might would have appear to be much better if Jarrett didn't get injured?
Old 03-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #15
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
To emphasize my point, there are no All Pros here. Two players have made the Pro Bowl, Scherff and Reed.
Good point