Redskins’ popularity wanes - PFT

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #31
irish
Playmaker

Re: Redskins’ popularity wanes - PFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
But can you really blame a fan base for taking a wait and see approach at this point? We've been duped by Spurrier, Cerrato, Dan, Zorn, and a slew of ridiculous trades/signings over the past decade+.

I'll cheer like hell for the Redskins every Sunday for the rest of my life. But until they start winning again, that cheering will take place on my couch instead of a stadium seat. And you won't catch me at training camp or dropping lots of $$ on merchandise either.
I couldnt agree more. Lets face it, its tough to get excited about another 6-10 to 8-8 season with no playoffs. Frankly I'm surprised fans showed as much interest for as long as they did.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

TC attendance and demand for tix have a lot more to do with the lockout and economy than Dan Snyder. Another PFT BS article trashing the Skins, it's fun and gets web-hits.....F PFT.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #33
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC1054 View Post
There's a level of bullshit in this fanbase that's unbelievable.

After years of having the "win now" mentality, and losing, the team is finally rebuilding, finally adding team first players instead of me first players, has dynamic young players, is making smart free agent signings and spending money wisely, has completely removed Dan Snyder from football operations...they're pretty much doing everything the fanbase has been demanding for years...

...And NOW is the time when people say they're tapping out and don't want to show up and support the team?

Christ...
C'mon. With any professional sports team, attendance at games, let alone a team's preseason practices, far more often than not reflects the current state of the team's strength, even where an organization is clearly going in the proverbial "right direction." To say that the Redskins' camp attendance is evidence of a "BS" fan base gives credence to a story that really doesn't deserve any to begin with. As others have said, there are any number of reasons having nothing to do with the team itself that are likely contributing to the poor numbers.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #34
rbanerjee23
The Starter

This is the non-story to top all non-stories. The team has gone 8-8, 5-11, 6-10 in the last three seasons. Combined with the worst economic disaster in our lifetime, record heat across all 50 states, and the longest work stoppage in the NFL's history, I would be amazed if our turnout hit record numbers as they usually do.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
This is the non-story to top all non-stories. The team has gone 8-8, 4-12, 6-10 in the last three seasons. Combined with the worst economic disaster in our lifetime, record heat across all 50 states, and the longest work stoppage in the NFL's history, I would be amazed if our turnout hit record numbers as they usually do.
Had to change that. For some reason 5-11 doesn't feel nearly as bad as 4-12. I associate 4-12 with top 5 draft picks, and cemented status as one of the worst 3-4 teams in the NFL. Which we were that year.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Had to change that. For some reason 5-11 doesn't feel nearly as bad as 4-12. I associate 4-12 with top 5 draft picks, and cemented status as one of the worst 3-4 teams in the NFL. Which we were that year.
Yup. Remember the old swinging gate play... that we tried two plays in a row?? I mean come on, who wouldn't want to shell out big bucks to see that kind of entertainment in person??
Old 08-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #37
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Yup. Remember the old swinging gate play... that we tried two plays in a row?? I mean come on, who wouldn't want to shell out big bucks to see that kind of entertainment in person??
Absolutely horrible. I mean why would you try it again after you've called a timeout? The only thing that play has is the element of the surprise. And we lost that when the timeout was called. I'm trying to cut down on my facepalm usage, but come on.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #38
Defensewins
Playmaker

Is there a cost to go see the Redskins at camp? Parking, entrance fee, etc?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
mlmpetert
Playmaker

^ Not "really". Its free with or with out the free print out invitation....

Redskins offer free invitations to free training camp - DC Sports Bog - The Washington Post

Posted at 04:45 PM ET, 08/02/2011
Redskins offer free invitations to free training camp
By Dan Steinberg

Like many of you, I received an e-mail from the Redskins today, with the subject line of “Get Your FREE Training Camp Invite.” The image of the e-mail is the one you see above.

So I dutifully clicked through, and was taken to this CSNWashington.com page, which told me I was invited to Redskins Training Camp.

“Get your FREE Training Camp Invitation!” that page said. “Fill out the form below, print out the invitation and bring it with you to training camp.”

And then more: “Don’t forget: Print out the invitation and bring it with you to Training Camp!”

There were several “required fields” on this form, including first and last names, daytime phone number, mailing address and e-mail address, plus a chance to win some prizes by joining the season ticket wait list. “It's FREE to Join the Waitlist!” I was reminded.

Now, the use of “required fields” is actually a pretty strange thing, since it turns out that you don’t need this invitation at all. I asked a team official, who said fans can just show up if they want to attend practices, and some of my online users said that’s very much the case.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #40
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I always assumed the invitation thing was mainly to gauge how many would show up, and secondarily a source of data gathering, although it's probably equal of both.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #41
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
My bad -- you're absolutely right. 4-12 is way worse than 5-11 than just 1 more loss/1 less win.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #42
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Not sure but I think if you bring the invitation they put you on a list for prizes or something like that. You definitely don't need it.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #43
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Small crowds at Redskins training camp reflect lockout, team’s downturn, lack of stars - The Washington Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #44
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Its a lockout year and its farging hot outside...not surprised.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #45
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I don't see how the lockout would keep people away...I'm more excited for football this year than I've been in a long time because there was the possibility it wouldn't happen!!! I can definitely see the economy as a culprit, although NFL games and especially the Skins have been pretty high end tix for quite some time.

Even factoring that out I find the article title misleading. I'm a fan and will love the Skins all my life. But I have no respect for Snyder and like others refrain from purchasing anything that will benefit him. Obviously we bring our personal bias into any debate but I'd like to think folks are sick of him not the team.