Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #556
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Re: The Haskins Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
All great Questions, the OL is graded on a separate scale but by player basis not group grades. As for the blocking schemes I do not look at those, the OL/DL staff does all of that fun stuff so I couldn't give a good answer on that.
The PFF grade for an Olineman would not account for him being put in a losing situation by his QB calling the wrong protections?

AND

The QB PFF grade would not account for the QB calling the wrong protections resulting in a "dirty" pocket?

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #557
DYoungJelly
The Starter

I'm a huge fan of the metrics at FootballOutsiders but they have flaws also.

I emailed them either last season or the season before asking for more details on what is and isn't measured in their Oline adjusted line yards metric.

The purpose of the email was to see if all the blown blocks by our TE unit was attributed to the terrible ranking of the Oline in the run game.

They emailed back and said it's all numbers, no subjectivity and that the units weren't distinguished.

So, in theory we may have had a much better Oline in the running game than that metric indicated. We might have been brought down by the TE group and Fat Rob hitting the wrong hole, but every other team was measured the exact same way.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #558
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYoungJelly View Post
I'm a huge fan of the metrics at FootballOutsiders but they have flaws also.

I emailed them either last season or the season before asking for more details on what is and isn't measured in their Oline adjusted line yards metric.

The purpose of the email was to see if all the blown blocks by our TE unit was attributed to the terrible ranking of the Oline in the run game.

They emailed back and said it's all numbers, no subjectivity and that the units weren't distinguished.

So, in theory we may have had a much better Oline in the running game than that metric indicated. We might have been brought down by the TE group and Fat Rob hitting the wrong hole, but every other team was measured the exact same way.
Football outsiders Oline metric is good with the overall unit on run game, but their pass protection measure is horseshit.

But agree with on qb calling wrong protection and also as Cooley and Sheehan have kinda pointed out, does the graders at PFF understand proper assignments of olinemen, defensive secondary and Linebackers?

It’s not a perfect science...but I think PFF is getting better at what they do.

I think the biggest thing we have to remember with players, performance...man, the coaching scheme matters a lot. Also, naturally talented athletes and players can lift an entire unit because opposing coaches have to over compensate minimize the impact of the higher talented player.

He Gets Us
Old 12-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #559
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Football outsiders Oline metric is good with the overall unit on run game, but their pass protection measure is horseshit.

But agree with on qb calling wrong protection and also as Cooley and Sheehan have kinda pointed out, does the graders at PFF understand proper assignments of olinemen, defensive secondary and Linebackers?

It’s not a perfect science...but I think PFF is getting better at what they do.

I think the biggest thing we have to remember with players, performance...man, the coaching scheme matters a lot. Also, naturally talented athletes and players can lift an entire unit because opposing coaches have to over compensate minimize the impact of the higher talented player.
This part is a yes, all overages / schemes are charted every game.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #560
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
No doubt my man, again I'm not saying PFF is 100% correct on all things football.. They are all humans and to be honest with you everyone on this site is very knowledgeable in football and could work there too.. It's a cool job and I love it but I also love football in general as I also coach here in NY. Some of the guys at PFF get too crazy on the analytics side and computer bullshit, I'm the old school guy that says you have to rely on what the hell u see on the field before you worry about stats and computers. As for Haskins, yeah he has sucked mostly this yr and it's discouraging but lets give him another year to learn and grow

You don’t give yourself enough credit. Lol. I can only speak for myself but i could never do what you do. Very cool stuff. And no doubt Haskins gets a full off season and season to prove himself. But his play this year is alarmingly awful - even for someone in his position with his experience- imo.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #561
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Re: The Haskins Thread

His qbr and rating on espn - which i dont understand either- are the worst in the game and it isn’t even close. I do understand that can’t be good at all. Unless they model their scores after golf.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #562
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
This part is a yes, all overages / schemes are charted every game.
Cool, it’s important.

My biggest want from PFF would be more data to support the overall grade. As an Example, they should chart items for defense such as: missed tackle/opportunity to tackle..like a tackling percentage, blown coverage responsibly in the secondary, number of times defenders get hands on ball, etc.

Offense I would like more numbers like yards after contact, tackles broken, completion percentage by pass catchers, completion percentages broken down by air yards for qb, etc. olinemen: missed blocks, key block responsibility which lead to loss of yards and key block responsibility which lead to breaking a big play.

Also, penalties responsibility by each player and total yards cost.

Make it happen...

He Gets Us
Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #563
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
His qbr and rating on espn - which i dont understand either- are the worst in the game and it isn’t even close. I do understand that can’t be good at all. Unless they model their scores after golf.
Now that's the positive thinking I like to see Lloyd Christmas. So you're telling me there's a chance he's actually awesome?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #564
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
I think QBR is nothing but fun with numbers, it never made a lot of sense to me and I think the formula is a big secret.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #565
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
I think QBR is nothing but fun with numbers, it never made a lot of sense to me and I think the formula is a big secret.

I know but when you take a look at the leaders and than the guys down near Haskins it seems fairly in tune with reality
Old 12-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #566
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Cool, it’s important.

My biggest want from PFF would be more data to support the overall grade. As an Example, they should chart items for defense such as: missed tackle/opportunity to tackle..like a tackling percentage, blown coverage responsibly in the secondary, number of times defenders get hands on ball, etc.

Offense I would like more numbers like yards after contact, tackles broken, completion percentage by pass catchers, completion percentages broken down by air yards for qb, etc. olinemen: missed blocks, key block responsibility which lead to loss of yards and key block responsibility which lead to breaking a big play.

Also, penalties responsibility by each player and total yards cost.

Make it happen...
Me too my man haha, It's in the works
Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #567
Coff
Impact Rookie

Quote:
I know but when you take a look at the leaders and than the guys down near Haskins it seems fairly in tune with reality
Very true. However, his QBR has been doubling almost every game. There’s a very clear trajectory that also seems in tune with reality. Every game he plays seems to be better than the one before.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:43 AM   #568
Warthog
The Starter

Haskins has his best game against a decent team who HAD TO WIN to stay in a playoff position in the crappy NFC East. In just his 6th NFL game he posted a QB rating of 121 (max is 154) with 2 TD’s, no INT and NO sacks. He showed grit and situational awareness in a critical running play in the red zone, that helped lead to a TD. He also had two passes go through the hands of Steve Sims, including one in the end zone (although Sims redeemed himself later with a great catch in the back of the end zone).

I am curious first about all the posters who thought the team should SIT Haskins for his entire first season or more. What do you say now?

There are others, including myself, who have questioned whether he had that “it” factor to be an elite QB. One game does not a career make and we’ll have to see if he can keep it up next week against the Giants.

After this season he and Redskins fans has some things to look forward to in 2020:

1. I believe the Redskins will make a FA play for the best TE available in the NFL. This will help out his passing game because we have awful TE game-fillers right now, who can’t get open, nor catch, nor block. Reed and Davis are done.

2. I believe Snyder will hire a offensive-centered HC, who can only help improve this offense and Haskins.

3. Depending on whether we are in a draft position to draft Chase Young or whether he even IS in the year’s draft, I believe we’ll draft OT Andrew Thomas or the best OT available. He’ll go into Trent’s or Mose’s spot. I think we.’ll draft two OL draft picks to solidify the OL with new talent and youth.

4. Haskins will be able to work on his QB skills in the off season.

His performance today was impressive and I might remind everyone that even QB greats like Peyton Manning has TERRIBLE rookie seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Old 12-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #569
DYoungJelly
The Starter

I'm curious on the grading of happiness this week.

He looked much improved. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Anecdotally, he seems to be improving.

Not being excited about anything with this team, I'm open to being excited about him in the future...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #570
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Major improvement, he didn't take any sacks, and didn't have any interceptions. The footwork and throwing motion are becoming more consistent. He still threw off his back foot and side armed a couple short passes. As his fundamentals improve and become more consistent, so does the accuracy, amazing! The arm strength is nuts. I seems like he can throw a 30 yard dart with just a flick of the wrist.
Closed Thread