Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Adrian Peterson cut

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Adrian Peterson cut

I'd assume Barber would be the banger on short yardage stuff now. And Gibson is pretty sturdy too.

Advertisements
Old 09-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
This team is going to struggle with short yardage plays.
If you are going with a youth movement, please get something for Ryan Kerrigan while you can.
Agree on the short yardage concern. Honestly that was probably going to be a concern even with Peterson, because the line can't line up and mash, aside from Scherff. And until I see a strong run block from our TE group I have to assume we still don't have that skillset.

They're clearly picking a strategic direction and going with it. They want motion in the offense, and versatility from their skill positions. They want defenses unable to predict whether a run is coming or a pass is coming. And when you put Peterson on the field, we all know that broadcasts a run.

It wouldn't be worth keeping Peterson just for the short yardage, given the strategic direction.

As for Kerrigan, COMPLETELY agree. A contending team might view him as a piece worth trading a decent asset for. I love him and I'd miss him, but that's the right move to build for the next five years.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #18
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quite surprising. AP was one of few players to play hard every down the last 2 seasons. But I guess RR is looking towards the future and doesn't see AP fitting in there...

I'm also guessing they need the roster spot for the OL, seems we gonna carry at least 9 big guys.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #19
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I'll take "things I didn't see happening" for 1000 Alex.

Peterson will easily be picked up somewhere else, he really proved himself again here. Obviously the coaching staff is going with the youth movement this year. They must like what they see out of everybody else to let AP go.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #20
JackLord
Special Teams

Yes a surprising move. Also the least controversial one in months.

Thanks for your time Adrian. Sorry to see you go.
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Totally in agreement of move RK as well. Moving him for a pick would be great, but it would be better for an Oline, TE or WR. We gotta give Haskins more help in order to develop him right

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #22
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Totally in agreement of move RK as well. Moving him for a pick would be great, but it would be better for an Oline, TE or WR. We gotta give Haskins more help in order to develop him right
The only way I'm moving RK is if it's for a 2nd and that isn't happening
Old 09-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #23
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
The only way I'm moving RK is if it's for a 2nd and that isn't happening

Patriots? They gave a 2nd for Sanu who they just cut.

Btw would anyone have believed a month ago that neither Guice nor Peterson would be on our roster? Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
AnonEmouse
The Starter

AP - would have been nice to see him finish his career here after what he's done here but you'd have to be blind to see the benefit in going promising youth over (slowly) declining veteran. And they have given him a week to catch on elsewhere.

RK - likewise if he could finish up here but I'd take a good TE or even LT for him no problem. Can't see us getting a high pick for him though.

Maybe a bit out there given the rotation we likely have/need, and the sense in keeping 4 DT anyway in a 4-3, but what about trading one of our DTs? Keep thinking it may be a struggle keeping 3 good DTs happy (unless we play a lot of goal line &#128563, and we could fill a need.🤔

Last edited by AnonEmouse; 09-04-2020 at 07:15 PM.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:12 PM   #25
oldfan
Camp Scrub

I am surprised. But thinking about it, it is probably for the best. Peterson won't be a free agent very long as there are several other teams that are short on running backs. I wish him well and thanks for what he contributed.
oldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
Defensewins
Playmaker

This move is about the future. Not about today, game #1 or this season.
I really do not want to see our offense continue to be a finesse, pass first, chuck and duck offense. We need to be balanced, unpredictable and posses a power running game when we need it. We will not be unpredictable if we change 3 players on every play when we move from power running to pass. TE & FB run blocking was one of our biggest weaknesses. Besides our underperforming O-Line.
Running the ball, controlling possession and running out the clock on opposing high powered offenses like KC Chiefs is key to beating them. We are not going beat them in a track meet. Plus it rests our defense.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #27
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
AP - would have been nice to see him finish his career here after what he's done here but you'd have to be blind to see the benefit in going promising youth over (slowly) declining veteran. And they have given him a week to catch on elsewhere.

RK - likewise if he could finish up here but I'd take a good TE or even LT for him no problem. Can't see us getting a high pick for him though.

Maybe a bit out there given the rotation we likely have/need, and the sense in keeping 4 DT anyway in a 4-3, but what about trading one of our DTs? Keep thinking it may be a struggle keeping 3 good DTs happy (unless we play a lot of goal line &#128563, and we could fill a need.🤔
Depth is good.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #28
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Depth is good.
Agreed, but when does depth at one position hurt you in getting depth at another? Guess its what the coaches and GM get paid for.

Last edited by AnonEmouse; 09-05-2020 at 03:33 PM.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
OnceWeWereKings
The Starter

Just spitballing here, and it hasn't been said in anything I've seen...but maybe him being cut had a little to do with his past, and the culture change RR is trying to put into place with off the field stuff? Not that there has been anything jn recent years...but taking a variable out of the equation, maybe at least little?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #30
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceWeWereKings View Post
Just spitballing here, and it hasn't been said in anything I've seen...but maybe him being cut had a little to do with his past, and the culture change RR is trying to put into place with off the field stuff? Not that there has been anything jn recent years...but taking a variable out of the equation, maybe at least little?

That thought crossed my mind too, but I don't think so, because as you point out, it was several years ago. And .... the fact that RR was so quick to point to how great it was having him in the locker room around the young backs.

It's hard to say on one hand you love the locker room presence of a guy, and then on the other, say you are establishing a different culture for your team citing a years-ago transgression for the same guy as a small part of why you are letting him go.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote