Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What Numbers Should Be Retired?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Burgold
Special Teams

It's great that Bobby Mitchell's number has been retired,although late so my question is what other Redskins legends should have their numbers immortalized? how bout-Sonny Jurgenson[no.9]..Riggins[no.44]..Larry Brown[no.43]..Charlie Taylor[no.42]I know that every number can't be retired but some should.
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: What Numbers Should Be Retired?

To me the no brainers would be 9, 28, 44, 43, and 81 to join 33 and 49

Last edited by MTK; 06-26-2020 at 01:43 PM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

That list seems accurate to me. Just hope I get to see someone similar to that list wear a Redskins uni in my lifetime. Chase Young appears to be our most recent hope.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
kct1975
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
To me the no brainers would be 9, 28, 44, 43, and 81 to join 33 and 42
I completely agree with your entire list.

I do, however, have one minor correction...33 has already been Retired by the Redskins years ago
https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/6/20/...on-fedex-field

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I would hate to see anyone wear 21 again. I know Sean Taylor was only with the Redskins for a short while but his future greatness was evident.

I also think that the numbers of the great linemen Russ Grimm (68) and Joe Jacoby (66) should be retired.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct1975 View Post
I completely agree with your entire list.

I do, however, have one minor correction...33 has already been Retired by the Redskins years ago
https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/6/20/...on-fedex-field

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Right that's what I meant when I said those numbers to join 33 and 49 as retired

Last edited by MTK; 06-26-2020 at 01:43 PM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Should there be levels of honor? We have the ring of fame already, I think retiring a jersey should be held for only the elite of the elite. I think it should be more selective than the ring of honor, if it's the same list as those in the ring of honor then I'm not sure what the point would be.

28 Darrell Green
33 Sammy Baugh
43 Larry Brown
49 Bobby Mitchell
68 Russ Grimm

There are others who were great but I think to retire a jersey there needs to have been a big contribution over a long period of time.

I'm really on the fence about Riggins and Monk and you could probably convince me to go with it. But I'd be equally as comfortable letting their jerseys stay unofficially retired. That's where I think Sean Taylor should be too. Boy did I love him but retiring his jersey would be more like a nod to what we thought he'd become rather than what he actually was. He was great for three and a half years, especially in his third and fourth seasons. But he wasn't with us long enough.

I wouldn't put Doug, Ryp or Theismann in. The only QB I'd consider besides Baugh would be Jurgensen, because his numbers were ridiculous compared to the rest of the league at the time. But the Redskins sucked for many of his years, so how impactful was he?
Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Personally I don't know how you can be on the fence with Riggo, he's an easy lock IMO. Hall of Famer, SB champ, SB MVP, one of the best backs of all time. Just an iconic player on and off the field.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

I'd be OK with Sean Taylor's jersey staying unofficially retired. He was so special I just don't want anyone else to wear it.

I'm glad Schneed agrees with me on retiring Russ Grimm's number. To me, his accomplishments as a member of the fabled Hogs represent what the Gibbs championship years were all about.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #10
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Personally I don't know how you can be on the fence with Riggo, he's an easy lock IMO. Hall of Famer, SB champ, SB MVP, one of the best backs of all time. Just an iconic player on and off the field.
Riggo also has one of the most iconic SB plays in both Redskins and SB history. He definitely deserves to have his number retired.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I just looked up Riggo's career and he was a Redskin for a lot longer than I thought. For some reason I had him in my mind as spending just as much time with the Jets as he did with the Skins but that was not true - nine seasons with WAS and five with NYJ. And the 24 TDs in 1983 kind of make the case all by itself.

The ultimate test is: would 44 look OK on another Redskin ever again? I think that's a no, so I'm in on Riggo.

My big concern though is that if we are making the retired jersey number the ultimate honor, more selective than ring of fame, more selective than 70 greatest Redskins, whatever, then a Hog has to make it. That was the identity of our Super Bowl winning teams. We had three different starting running backs, three different starting QBs, but the Hogs were there for all for them. They paved the way for Riggo, so as long as Grimm and possibly Jacoby's numbers are retired then I'm OK.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:38 AM   #12
davy
Impact Rookie

I just don't get this retiring numbers thing.

Does anybody really think that having somebody wearing 28 for instance is going to dilute Darrell Greens reputation or standing as an all-time great Redskin?
Old 07-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I just looked up Riggo's career and he was a Redskin for a lot longer than I thought. For some reason I had him in my mind as spending just as much time with the Jets as he did with the Skins but that was not true - nine seasons with WAS and five with NYJ. And the 24 TDs in 1983 kind of make the case all by itself.

The ultimate test is: would 44 look OK on another Redskin ever again? I think that's a no, so I'm in on Riggo.

My big concern though is that if we are making the retired jersey number the ultimate honor, more selective than ring of fame, more selective than 70 greatest Redskins, whatever, then a Hog has to make it. That was the identity of our Super Bowl winning teams. We had three different starting running backs, three different starting QBs, but the Hogs were there for all for them. They paved the way for Riggo, so as long as Grimm and possibly Jacoby's numbers are retired then I'm OK.

Good argument. I’d say definitely any Redskin who makes the NFL HOF should be seriously considered. Plus Sean Taylor. I don’t want any Redskin to have his number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Grimm
Riggo
Green
Monk
Baugh
Mitchell
Sonny
Taylor
Taylor
Manley
Brown
Probably a couple other old time hall of famers that i dont know enough about. If you are in the hall you almost have to have your number retired.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogsjc View Post
no.98
Jessie Armstead definitely deserves some props