Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Shawn Springs Salary Cap Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
great thread Schneed.
Could it be simply that talks w/Springs' agent about restructuring never materialized because the skins tried to talk pay cut first?

This offseason, if the talk is strictly about restructuring, looks like there's a good chance of it happening.

Springs is worth keeping around, but we'll need another cb as all of our top 3 will either be coming off an injury or just injury prone. It would be great if Torrence suddenly improved in these last 2 games to the point they felt secure about the position, but I don't see that given GW's preference to build around solid corners.

Another reason to keep Springs & maybe the most important; the dude was a total pro this year & played well through tough times. He deserves the team's & the fans vote of confidence.
On the bolded part, you're exactly right, the paycut notion really turned him off. At the time, his dad was very ill, and Shawn was thinking he needed as much cash as possible to deal with the unknown. The idea of losing money wasn't an option for him.

But you know what, all this discussion is neither here nor there when it comes to the Skins' cap situation. They can clear about $30 million off their books without changing one thing about Springs' contract in '08. The team will not be in a position where they'll be forced to create cap space just to be able to keep him. I think he's still regarded so highly that the team will keep him no matter what. He's still a very, very good NFL CB. And keeping him will not be hard to do, financially.

Advertisements
Old 12-23-2007, 04:55 AM   #17
Luxorreb
^21^

I hope Springs will be back next season. And I'm in favor of signing a badass, proven corner. I think Rogers is a 1st round bust. There's virtually no chance anyone would trade for Rogers to make it worth it.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #18
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxorreb View Post
I hope Springs will be back next season. And I'm in favor of signing a badass, proven corner. I think Rogers is a 1st round bust. There's virtually no chance anyone would trade for Rogers to make it worth it.
Wow, harsh on Carlos. I thought he was having a good season before the injury. We'll see how he comes back from it, some guys don't ever get back from something like this. But I think he was playing well enough for us to give him a chance to show he can come back before we go throwing money at a position that has good depth when you include a healthy Rogers.