Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Grimm Fairy Tale

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
BigRedskinDaddy
Camp Scrub

A Grimm Fairy Tale

Yesterday the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced it's class of 2009 inductees. It is a strong class that includes such luminaries as Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas and Bob Hayes, among others. What this group does not have, however, is a player who spent either all or a fairly significant part of his playing career in D.C. Outside of Smith, no one in this new class so much as played one single snap for the Burgundy and Gold.

Once again, no Hogs made the final list.

Once again, Joey T., Gary Clark and Ken Harvey were deemed unworthy.

For one more year, at least, Mssrs. Grimm, Jacoby, Lachey, May, Theismann, Clark and Harvey are on the outside looking in. For one more year each of these worthy candidates must wait a little longer in hopes of making it into the NFL'a most exclusive fraternity. For one more year these former Redskins must look in their mirrors and ask the question, "was it all enough? Did I do enough?"

Nevermind their combined fourteen Super Bowl rings. Put aside their 21 overall Pro Bowl selections. Throw out their ten total 1st Team All-Pro nominations. Completely discount their eighty cumulative seasons of playing the most physically arduous sport at very high levels in the toughest league there is.

Take away all those accolades, throw them all out the window...and each one of those men deserves a place amongst their legendary peers anyway. Period. No ifs, ands or buts.

In a perfect world, anyway.

I'm not blind; as loyal as I am to all current and former Redskins players, alive or dead, I still realize that some of those names are more deserving of a bust than others. In all honsesty, a couple of them should consider themselves fortunate to have even made a HOF ballot, much less make the Hall itself. And two in particular, former linemates Grimm and Jacoby, should by all rights, by anyone's criteria, have already been voted in.

That those two original Hogs are deserving is not the question.

Whether they ever receive their due is.

Sadly, if they haven't by now they most likely will not. Every year they are left out, every year more players become eligible, lessens their chances that much more. The farther we get from their glory days on the field, the less great they seem to the voters they must depend on. In a world full of injustices and unnecessary hardships this sits way, way down on the list of That Which Should Not Be...but it is a travesty nonetheless.

Grimm, drafted in the 3rd round in 1981, played center at Pitt, but in his rookie training camp was moved to left guard, where he immediately became a powerful fixture. He, along with Jacoby and fellow linemates May, George Starke and Jeff Bostic, became known as The Hogs, and rapidly cemented their reputation as one of if not the finest offensive line in the entire NFL. In a career that spanned 11 years and 140 games, Big Russ started five NFC Championship Games, four Super Bowls (winning 3), appeared in 4 consecutive Pro Bowls, and was named 1st team All-Pro four times. A punishing blocker, he was named to the all-80's team as one of the best players of that decade. Most important, perhaps, he came to be known as the Redskins' answer to the Cowboys and Randy White; in his prime he more than held his own against our hated rivals vaunted defense, led by their most intimidating player.

Jacoby wasn't even drafted -- by any team -- coming out of Louisville the same year, 1981. He was signed to a free agent contract by the Redskins and in no time at all had become their starting left tackle. He would hold that position for the next 13 years and 170 games, during which time he started 19 playoff games, tied for 21st all-time. He too was named to four consecutive Pro Bowls, and named 1st team All-Pro four straight seasons. As with Grimm, he was named to the NFL's all-80's team, and was named one of the 70 Greatest Redskins after retiring. He was one of the lynch pins of a dominating line that paved the way for a series of 'Skins running backs, from John Riggins to Timmy Smith through Kelvin Bryant to Earnest Byner, one of the key components of the virtually unstoppable ground game that symbolized the Gibbs' Super Bowl-winning juggernauts of that era.

click link for rest of story
Your Daddy's Redskins

Advertisements
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: A Grimm Fairy Tale

After seeing two Skins get in last year I really can't complain. Yes the Hogs deserve their due but offensive lineman typically get the shaft with Hall voters, so really this is nothing new. Grimm and/or Jacoby will get in one day I believe, just don't hold your breath.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Joey T is not a hall of famer
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
44ever

Sad sad sad. Unfortunatly I agree with what Matty said. Offensive lineman get looked over. Jacoby should be HOF. Grimm may have a better shot with his coaching career eventually HC he will no doubt be a winner. But I'm still not sure that will do it for him. It's a conspiracy man!
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Why not? He won a SB, the next year was NFL MVP and NFL offensive player of the year and let us to another SB and was in charge of team that set an all time NFL scoring record that has been broken twice since then. Not great stats but pretty good accomplishments.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
BigRedskinDaddy
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
No offense, brother, but that wasn't really my point. The main thrust of my piece was the injustice of Jacoby and Grimm still left out in the cold when I don't believe they should be, by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

As proof of that perspective, I refer you to my statements immediately after I mentioned all the ex-Redskins who were denied the Hall on this year's ballot.

"In a perfect world, anyway.

I'm not blind; as loyal as I am to all current and former Redskins players, alive or dead, I still realize that some of those names are more deserving of a bust than others. In all honesty, a couple of them should consider themselves fortunate to have even made a HOF ballot, much less make the Hall itself."

I promise everyone here, I've lately been cutting my crazy pills in half; gets me through twice as many days with half the actual fuss...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Why not? He won a SB, the next year was NFL MVP and NFL offensive player of the year and let us to another SB and was in charge of team that set an all time NFL scoring record that has been broken twice since then. Not great stats but pretty good accomplishments.
Theismann was a very average QB from 76-81 and wasn't even a full time starter until 78. 82, 83 and 84 were his prime years and his only truly great year was 83. In 85 his last year he was playing awful before he broke his leg. I remember the town was really on Gibbs to bench him that last year. No way is Theismann a HOF QB. Not even close.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Pretty good accomplsihments do not a HOFer make. There are lots of people with good acomplishments that aren't in the HOF. The HOF is for the best, the game changers, record setters and memorable players. Joey T isn't even close to a HOFer. He was a good QB like Kerry Collins or Matt Hasslebeck. None of them is a HOFer. Guys like Montana, Young, Manning, Brady are HOFers.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Grimm and Jacoby probably are HOFers but o-line have to have some type of special attraction to get them spotlighted enough to be boted in. At least before free agency. Nowadays guys like Zimmerman weren't any better than Jacoby and Grimm but they have a little more exposure.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Pretty good accomplsihments do not a HOFer make. There are lots of people with good acomplishments that aren't in the HOF. The HOF is for the best, the game changers, record setters and memorable players. Joey T isn't even close to a HOFer. He was a good QB like Kerry Collins or Matt Hasslebeck. None of them is a HOFer. Guys like Montana, Young, Manning, Brady are HOFers.
Sure, whatever. Theismann was a lot better than "the drunk" Collins not even close, Hasselbeck too.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Sure, whatever. Theismann was a lot better than "the drunk" Collins not even close, Hasselbeck too.
A picture is worth a thousand words

I admire your relentless partiality though
Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words

I admire your relentless partiality though
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are "real" Redskins fans.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are "real" Redskins fans.
Real, but not ignorant
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Real, but not ignorant
Oh ok, Mr. Brainiac Bobby "the Brain" Heenan. Sorry Mr. Knowitall!!

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Litte sensitive today are we?